Exclusive poll finds huge support for Syrian refugees

About two-thirds of Canadians support taking in 25,000 or more Syrian refugees, and even more said they are “uncomfortable” with Donald Trump’s proposal to ban the immigration of Muslims to the United States.

See Full Article

The Nanos Research survey for CTV News found 37 per cent agreed that the Trudeau government’s decision to take in 25,000 Syrians was “about right.” Another 28 per cent said Canada should take even more than that.

Meanwhile, 28 per cent said they preferred to take in fewer than 25,000 and seven per cent said they were unsure.

Support for taking in more than 25,000 Syrians was highest in Atlantic Canada (45%) and lowest in the Prairies (19%).

Although the poll suggests most Canadians agree with taking at least 25,000 refugees, the country appears more divided on whether the government is moving at the right pace.

While 51 per cent of those polled agreed the government is moving at the right pace, 40 per cent said the Liberals are moving too quickly, four per cent said too slowly and five per cent said they were unsure.

The Liberals originally promised to have 25,000 in Canada by New Year’s Day, but revised that earlier this month to 10,000, with 15,000 more by the end of February. As of Dec. 21, only 1,869 have arrived, and Immigration Minister John McCallum said Wednesday there’s no guarantee the government’s timeline can be met.

Atlantic Canadians were most likely to agree the pace is right (66%) while those in B.C. were least likely to agree (46%).

The poll also asked about Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump’s widely publicized proposal to ban Muslim immigration to the U.S.

More than two-thirds (68%) agreed they were “uncomfortable with the U.S. having a policy that would ban Muslim immigration,” and another 10 per cent were “somewhat uncomfortable.”

Fewer than one in five said they were “comfortable” (11%) or “somewhat comfortable” (8%) with Trump’s position. Three per cent chose “unsure.”

Those polled in Atlantic Canada were least likely to say they were comfortable or somewhat comfortable with Trump’s proposal (15%), while those in the Prairies were the most likely to be comfortable or somewhat comfortable (25%) with the idea.

Survey methodology:The poll was based on a RDD dual-frame (land- and cell-line) hybrid telephone and online random survey of 1,000 Canadians taken between Dec. 18 and 21, 2015. The margin of error for a survey of 1,000 Canadians is ±3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Americans risk travelling over Thanksgiving despite warnings

    World News CTV News
    Millions of Americans took to the skies and the highways ahead of Thanksgiving at the risk of pouring gasoline on the coronavirus fire, disregarding increasingly dire warnings that they stay home and limit their holiday gatherings to members of their own household. Source
  • RCMP sergeant claims officer told her Meng Wanzhou's electronic device info sent to FBI

    Canada News CBC News
    The RCMP sergeant who oversaw Meng Wanzhou's arrest says the officer responsible for securing the Huawei executive's phones told her the serial numbers attached to Meng's electronic devices were sent to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation. Source
  • RCMP commissioner to review watchdog report on Colten Boushie case on weekend of Dec. 4

    Canada News CBC News
    The RCMP's response to a watchdog report about the Colten Boushie case will be on commissioner Brenda Lucki's desk on Friday, Dec. 4, Lucki says. Lucki will read it over that weekend before signing off on it, she said. Source
  • Mexico arrests cartel mastermind of Mormon massacre which killed nine

    World News CBC News
    Mexico's army and federal prosecutors said Wednesday they have arrested the purported mastermind of the killings a year ago of three women and six children from a well-known Mexican-American family, the LeBarons, on a rural road in the northern state of Sonora. Source
  • Person of interest identified in murders of Barry and Honey Sherman, Toronto police confirm

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A person of interest has been identified in the murders of billionaire couple Barry and Honey Sherman, the Toronto Police Service confirmed to CTV News Toronto on Wednesday. “The Toronto Police Service can confirm that a person of interest has been identified but not arrested,” Const. Source
  • 40 dead after bus and truck collide in Brazil

    World News CBC News
    A bus carrying employees of a textile company and a truck collided on a highway in Brazil's Sao Paulo state early Wednesday, killing 40 people, officials said. Rescuers were helping the wounded and passengers caught in the wreckage of the vehicles in the municipality of Taguai, about 350 kilometres from the city of Sao Paulo. Source
  • Steinbach, Man., church fined $5K for holding Sunday service

    Canada News CTV News
    WINNIPEG -- A church near Steinbach, Man., has been fined $5,000 after holding a Sunday service with more than 100 people. The Church of God, a North American church with a location in Steinbach, confirmed it had been ticketed for holding a service on Nov. Source
  • Trump announces full pardon for Michael Flynn in tweet

    World News CTV News
    In this Feb. 1, 2017 file photo, former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn speaks during the daily news briefing at the White House, in Washington. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster) Source
  • Trump pardons Flynn despite his guilty plea in Russia probe

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump pardoned former national security adviser Michael Flynn on Wednesday despite Flynn's guilty plea to lying to the FBI about his Russia contacts. The pardon, coming in the waning days of the Trump administration, takes direct aim at a Russia investigation that he has long insisted was motivated by political bias. Source
  • Ontario family employed by province allegedly perpetrated $11M COVID-19 benefit fraud

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Four family members who worked for the Ontario government in information technology defrauded the province of at least $11 million destined as COVID-19 relief money, a statement of claim alleges. The unproven civil claim on behalf of the province, which also seeks $2 million in punitive damages, accuses them and others of illegally issuing and banking cheques under the Support for Families Program that aimed to defray the cost of children learning at home. Source