Assault charges dropped against former MP Julian Fantino

TORONTO -- The Crown has dropped privately laid assault charges against former federal cabinet minister Julian Fantino in an alleged incident 42 years ago.

See Full Article

Crown Attorney John McInnes told court there was no reasonable prospect for conviction due primarily to inconsistencies in the accuser's testimony and lack of witnesses.

Fantino's lawyer, Mark Sandler, called the accusations patently false and said it was no coincidence the allegations against the Conservative MP were levelled just before the Oct. 19 federal election.

The allegations of assault with a weapon and assault causing bodily harm were made by John Bonnici and stemmed from when Fantino was a Toronto police officer. None of Bonnici's allegations were proven in court.

Fantino, the onetime veterans affairs minister, lost his bid for re-election to Liberal Francesco Sorbara in the riding of Vaughan-Woodbridge. He was not present at Wednesday's hearing.

Police generally lay criminal charges, but anyone who has reasonable grounds to believe someone has committed an offence can go to a justice of the peace or provincial court judge, who determine if a summons or warrant should be issued to compel an accused person to come to court to answer the charge.

The charges against Fantino were approved by a justice of the peace in July after a closed hearing.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Palestinian teen shot dead in Israeli raid on West Bank

    World News CTV News
    JERUSALEM - Health authorities said a 16-year-old Palestinian died early Wednesday after being wounded during clashes with Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank, the latest in a wave of violence that has persisted for months. Source
  • Russia launches fresh offensive, wants sanctions relief to free up Ukraine food supply routes

    World News CBC News
    Russian forces launched offensives on towns in eastern Ukraine on Wednesday, with constant mortar bombardment destroying several houses and killing civilians, Ukrainian officials said, as Russia focuses its attack on the industrial Donbas region. Russia has been focused on attempting to seize the separatist-claimed Donbas's two provinces, Donetsk and Luhansk, and trap Ukrainian forces in a pocket on the main eastern front, according to Ukrainian officials. Source
  • Winnipeg River, already flowing at a record volume, slated to rise even higher

    Canada News CBC News
    The Winnipeg River is flowing at a record volume in Manitoba because officials no longer have any other option to control flooding across a vast swath of northwestern Ontario and northern Minnesota. Flooding on the Winnipeg River, which is running at about three-and-a-half times higher its usual volume this time of year, has already forced hundreds of people from their homes and washed out roads in Whiteshell Provincial Park. Source
  • How one stone gave a Halifax-area park heritage status

    Canada News CBC News
    A hulking, rocking chunk of granite that's been attracting visitors for two centuries and is rumoured to have caught the attention of royalty has had its historical importance to the Halifax area set in stone. The Halifax Regional Municipality awarded heritage status last week to the Rocking Stone and the surrounding Kidston Lake Park in the community of Spryfield. Source
  • Ukraine updates: Russian shelling kills 6 civilians

    World News CTV News
    What's happening in Ukraine today and how are countries around the world responding? Read live updates on Vladimir Putin and Russia's invasion of Ukraine. KYIV, Ukraine -- A regional governor in eastern Ukraine says at least six civilians have been killed by the latest Russian shelling. Source
  • Ukraine updates: Ukraine remains defiant about peace terms

    World News CTV News
    What's happening in Ukraine today and how are countries around the world responding? Read live updates on Vladimir Putin and Russia's invasion of Ukraine. DAVOS, Switzerland -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy says his country will not give up land in return for an end to the war with Russia following its invasion. Source
  • What's a derecho and why is it so destructive? The science behind this powerful storm

    Canada News CBC News
    When Canadian tornado expert David Sills studied the forecast on Saturday morning, he never expected the line of storms headed for Windsor, Ont., would soon strengthen into Canada's first derecho in decades, wreaking havoc across southern Ontario and Quebec. Source
  • Where has Doug Ford been during Ottawa emergencies? Someplace else

    Canada News CBC News
    With just about a week left until election day, Progressive Conservative Leader Doug Ford was supposed to make his first — and presumably only — campaign stop in Ottawa on Thursday. But after a devastating storm ripped through the capital and the surrounding areas in eastern Ontario, Ford's Ottawa trip was cancelled. Source
  • Conservative leadership candidates gather in Quebec for final debate of the race

    Canada News CBC News
    Conservative leadership candidates will gather tonight for the final official debate of the race — a French-language contest that will challenge the candidates' languages skills as they fight for the top job. Tonight's debate in Laval, Que. is the last campaign event where candidates will have a chance to convince would-be voters to take out party memberships before the June 3 deadline. Source
  • To understand Ottawa's use of the Emergencies Act, we need to know what cabinet knew

    Canada News CBC News
    Attempts to follow the threads that led to the federal government's historic invocation of the Emergencies Act in February have come upon a knot — the question of who, if anyone, provided the advice that led the government to declare an emergency. Source