Accused in Edmonton Mac's shootings a 'risk to the public': Parole board

EDMONTON -- Parole board documents say one of three people charged with killing two convenience store clerks in Edmonton was a drug dealer with gang ties who was prone to violence.

See Full Article

The board noted that Laylin Delorme made attempts to improve himself behind bars, but his continued allegiance to gang life left the panel doubting his commitment to change.

Delorme, 24, was sentenced in January 2011 to two years in prison for several offences that included selling crack cocaine and a car jacking in which he hit a driver in the head with a gun.

The board said that while behind bars, Delorme was an active gang member.

"Your institutional behaviour has been poor with involvement in the gang subculture, violence, substance abuse and threats to other inmates," the board wrote later that year when it denied him day parole. "Your release at this time would present undue risk to the public's safety."

Delorme completed the sentence in 2013 and served several short stints in jail for offences including mischief and assault with a weapon, before his arrest last Friday.

He, along with 27-year-old Colton Steinhauer and a 13-year-old boy, are charged with first-degree murder, robbery and other offences stemming from the deadly holdups.

All three appeared in court for the first time on the charges early this week. Delorme and Steinhauer had yet to retain lawyers.

Police said two clerks working alone in two different Mac's stores were shot dead minutes apart by masked robbers who made off with small amounts of cash. Video footage showed the clerks had been co-operating before they were gunned down.

Court records show the teen, who can't be named, is also facing charges from earlier this year that include robbery and weapons offences. On Nov. 20, he was released from custody with conditions that included he live with his grandmother.

At the time of the Mac's killings, Steinhauer was wanted on warrants for failing to comply with a probation order. He was sentenced in June to three months in jail for uttering threats.

The parole board documents detail how Delorme was raised by his parents in a home "free from any type of abuse," but he rebelled and started drinking and smoking marijuana at 15. He moved in with friends and was expelled from school in Grade 9.

He first started committing crimes at 19.

Delorme told the board he wants to build a relationship with his young son and admitted his crimes were influenced by drugs and gangs. He also successfully completed an aboriginal healing program while in prison.

The board said Delorme appeared to be genuine, but couldn't explain why he wouldn't leave the gang.

"This leaves concern for the board about your true allegiances."

Delorme was given statutory release in April 2012, after serving two-thirds of his sentence. The board said he was employed and co-operating with his parole officer.

But it revoked his release in January 2013, after finding out he was associating with a street gang. His name was on the lease of a home, a known gang "crash pad," that had exploded a month earlier, the board said. One person went to hospital with serious injuries.

"The board finds that through your actions while on release, your risk escalated and became unmanageable."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Manchester attack a tough test for British PM Theresa May

    World News CTV News
    MANCHESTER, England -- It's a moment all leaders dread: Standing on television to tell the nation there has been a bombing -- and another attack might be coming. British Prime Minister Theresa May, an unelected leader in office for less than a year, handled this week's bombing in Manchester with a sombre dignity that reassured many Britons, and will likely give her a boost when voters go to the polls on June 8. Source
  • Trump choosing caution over chaos on first big trip

    World News CTV News
    BRUSSELS -- In his first big tour on the world stage, U.S. President Donald Trump is choosing caution over his usual brand of chaos. The early morning Twitter rants that so often rattle Washington have disappeared as Trump travels through the Middle East and Europe. Source
  • Daughter of B.C. winery owner jailed in China seeking Ottawa's help

    Canada News CTV News
    The daughter of a British Columbia couple jailed in China last year while on a business trip is calling on the Canadian government to take action and bring her parents home. Lulu Island Winery owner John Chang and his wife Allison were arrested in China in March 2016 for allegedly underreporting the value of their wine, Chinese officials said. Source
  • Dog dies after being found buried alive in Quebec

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    MONTREAL — An injured dog found buried alive on Montreal’s South Shore appears to be in stable condition as the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals investigates what happened to the animal. The Monteregie SPCA says the dog, a Boxer, was extremely dehydrated when it was first brought in for care Tuesday and couldn’t even lift its head. Source
  • Lethbridge mom fired while caring for son with cancer welcomes proposed law

    Canada News CTV News
    A Lethbridge, Alta. mother who was fired while caring for her son with cancer is applauding new provincial legislation designed to make sure other parents like her don’t lose their jobs during one of the toughest times of their lives. Source
  • N.B. government signs collective agreement with teachers, includes wage hike

    Canada News CTV News
    FREDERICTON -- The New Brunswick government says it has reached a five-year contract with the province's teachers' federation. In a statement Wednesday, the province says the deal will cover nearly 8,000 teachers, supply teachers, vice-principals and principals and will provide annual wage hikes of one per cent. Source
  • Queen Elizabeth visits victims of Manchester terror attack [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    British authorities say an 8-year-old girl, Saffie Roussos, was among the 22 who died in the Manchester bombing. Medical officials say 12 children under the age of 16 were among those injured in the suicide bombing attack at a pop concert in Manchester, England. Source
  • British officials enraged after New York Times publishes photos detailing Manchester suicide bombing [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MANCHESTER, England — British police arrested two more people and searched a new site in Manchester suspected of links to the concert bombing that left 22 people dead, as British authorities complained bitterly Thursday about investigation leaks blamed on U.S. Source
  • Obama gets rock-star welcome in Berlin, praises Merkel

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN -- Barack Obama received a rock-star welcome in Berlin as he appeared at a public debate Thursday with Chancellor Angela Merkel, whom he praised as one of his "favourite partners" during his presidency. Security was tight in front of the German capital's iconic Brandenburg Gate, where Obama and Merkel appeared on a podium before thousands of people attending a gathering marking the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. Source
  • Georgia: Sheriff suspends self after indecency allegation

    World News CTV News
    ATLANTA -- A Georgia sheriff recently arrested by an officer who accused him of exposing himself in a park has suspended himself for one week. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports DeKalb County Sheriff Jeff Mann emailed sheriff's office employees Tuesday, saying he imposed the maximum penalty for conduct that "has a tendency to destroy public respect. Source