13-year-old boy arrested in deadly Mac's holdups cries in court

EDMONTON -- A 13-year-old cried as he appeared briefly in youth court Monday to face first-degree murder charges in the shooting deaths of two convenience store clerks.

See Full Article

The chubby-faced boy, who cannot be identified, covered his face with his hands, then wiped his wet eyes with an inmate-issued T-shirt.

One woman in the courtroom said "Love you" and another waved at the teen before a sheriff led him away.

The women and other people they were with refused to talk with reporters outside court. A defence lawyer had the case put over to Jan. 4.

Police allege the boy was one of three masked robbers behind deadly holdups at two different Mac's stores in Edmonton early Friday. Two clerks working alone in the stores were shot dead within minutes of each other.

Officers responding to a panic alarm found Karanpal Singh Bhangu, 35, shot in the stomach. He died of his injuries in hospital. A delivery man called 911 from the second store. He had found a trail of blood leading to a storage room, where 41-year-old Ricky Cenabre was lying dead.

Court records show the 13-year-old, who can't be named, was already facing charges from earlier this year.

In May, he was charged with weapons offences for allegedly carrying nunchuks and pruning shears. In October, he was arrested on other counts that included personal robberies and assault with a weapon -- bear spray.

A judge released the boy on an undertaking on Nov. 20 and imposed conditions that included he live with his grandmother.

Two men co-accused in the Mac's slayings, 24-year-old Laylin Delorme and 27-year-old Colton Steinhauer, also appeared in court Monday on murder charges. Their cases were put over to Jan. 11.

Court records show they both have lengthy criminal records.

At the time of the convenience store killings, Steinhauer was wanted on warrants for failing to comply with a probation order.

In June, he pleaded guilty to uttering threats and was sentenced to three months in jail and 18 months of probation. He has several other convictions dating back to 2010, including assaults and obstructing a peace officer.

Delorme's longest sentence -- two years -- came in 2011 for possessing drugs for the purpose of trafficking. A year earlier, he was given a lifetime firearms prohibition after pleading guilty to assault with a weapon and theft.

He was last in court in October 2014, when he pleaded guilty to assault with a weapon and mischief. He was given six months in jail and one year of probation.

Friends said Bhangu had emigrated from India three months earlier, along with his six-year-old son, to reunite with his wife, a private school teacher. Cenabre moved five years ago from the Philippines, where he had a wife and teenage son.

Police Chief Rod Knecht has said video footage from the stores showed the two workers co-operated with the robbers, who made off with small amounts of cash.

He called the killings "absolutely unnecessary, gratuitous -- evil."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Suicide bomber blows himself up as Saudis foil Mecca plot

    World News CBC News
    A suicide bomber blew himself up near the Grand Mosque in Mecca as police disrupted a plot to target the holiest site in Islam just as the fasting month of Ramadan ends, Saudi security forces said Saturday. Source
  • No winning ticket for Friday night's $10M Lotto Max jackpot

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - No winning ticket was sold for the $10 million jackpot in Friday night's Lotto Max draw. That means the jackpot for the next draw on June 30 will grow to approximately $15 million. Source
  • Death toll in Pakistan attacks climbs to 73

    World News CTV News
    PESHAWAR, Pakistan -- The death toll from twin blasts in the northwestern town of Parachinar climbed to 55 overnight, bringing the overall death toll from three separate attacks in Pakistan on Friday to 73, with several others in critical condition, officials said. Source
  • Sand sculpture festival brings movie characters to Belgian beach

    World News CBC News
    A beach in Belgium is featuring larger-than-life super heroes, cartoon characters and Cinderella's castle. It's part of the Ostend Sand Sculpture Festival. A team of 32 artists worked with 7,000 tonnes of sand for more than five weeks to create the sculptures. Source
  • Death toll from Pakistan attacks climbs to 73

    World News CBC News
    The death toll from twin blasts in the northwestern town of Parachinar climbed to 55 overnight, bringing the overall death toll from three separate attacks in Pakistan on Friday to 73, with several others in critical condition, officials said. Source
  • The most popular political Facebook group in Ontario targets Kathleen Wynne

    Canada News CBC News
    A new political force in Ontario is exploding on social media, with defeating Kathleen Wynne and the Liberals in the 2018 election as its key goal. It's called Ontario Proud, and its Facebook page has amassed nearly 145,000 followers — more than the provincial Liberals, PCs and NDP combined. Source
  • These Indigenous artists say there's more to life than being 'left on the reserve'

    Canada News CBC News
    Montana Summers hasn't been dancing all that long, but he's ready to play to a packed 9,000-seat venue — in front of one of his favourite childhood pop stars. Summers, 19, has been tapped to perform alongside a handful of young dancers at the July 16 opening ceremony for the North American Indigenous Games in Toronto. Source
  • 100 people feared buried in China landslide

    World News CBC News
    A county government in southwestern China says around 100 people from 40 homes are feared buried by a landslide that crashed into their homes. The government of Mao county in Sichuan province says the landslide from a mountain fell onto the village of Xinmo at about 6 a.m. Source
  • 120 people feared buried in China landslide

    World News CBC News
    A county government in southwestern China says around 100 people from 40 homes are feared buried by a landslide that crashed into their homes. The government of Mao county in Sichuan province says the landslide from a mountain fell onto the village of Xinmo at about 6 a.m. Source
  • Wainwright-based military member charged with child porn offences

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A Wainwright-based soldier is charged with child pornography related offences after a joint investigation by the province’s Internet Child Exploitation unit and the U.S. Homeland Security Investigations. It’s alleged the man attempted to arrange to meet up with a Texas girl for sex, says a Friday news release from the Alberta Law Enforcement Response Teams. Source