Refugee delays in Turkey, but Canadian 'program is not closed': commander

The Canadian Forces' refugee operations in Lebanon are going well, despite delays in Turkey, Canada's commanding officer in Lebanon says.

See Full Article

In an exclusive interview with CTV's Mercedes Stephenson, Lt.-Col. Patrice Beauchamp said troops on the ground are in high spirits and feel motivated by the refugees they are meeting and helping.

He said Canadians are successfully working with the UN to assist refugees in five locations in Lebanon and one location in Jordan.

But there have been a series of delays in Turkey, where Canada is working with the Turkish government.

Beauchamp said these setbacks have prompted officials to focus their efforts more on Lebanon and Jordan.

"As far as my understanding right now, the program (in Turkey) is not closed," Beauchamp told Stephenson. "But I know that people both from Global Affairs Canada and the Department of National Defence have been detached from the operation in Turkey and relocated in support of Lebanon."

Beauchamp said the government still hopes to bring some refugees to Canada from Turkey, but that he believes the new plan is to end the refugee efforts there in 2016.

"You still have refugees in the process (in Turkey) and my understanding is that they will be sending some refugees, mainly by commercial airlines, in the upcoming weeks before the 31st of December," he said. "But after that I believe that their program is closed."

Canada has committed to bringing in 25,000 refugees by the end of February and could bring up to 50,000 by the end of 2016, Immigration Minister John McCallum has said.

The first government planeload of refugees arrived in Toronto on Dec. 11, carrying refugees who had been living in Lebanon.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Crews save homes from fire in California canyons

    World News CTV News
    Photos Source
  • Jared Kushner's lawyer reveals private email strategy to prankster

    World News CTV News
    Jared Kushner’s lawyer in the scandal involving his use of a private email address has revealed part of the strategy he is employing with his client, in an email exchange with a prankster who posed as Kushner. Source
  • Stunning lawsuit against 'Big Coffee' could lead to cancer warning labels in California [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — A future cup of coffee in California could give you jitters before you even take a sip. A non-profit group wants coffee manufacturers, distributors and retailers to post ominous warnings about a cancer-causing chemical stewing in every brew and has been presenting evidence in a Los Angeles courtroom to make its case. Source
  • Televangelist David Mainse, host of '100 Huntley Street', dies at 81

    Canada News CTV News
    Canadian televangelist David Mainse, who hosted “100 Huntley Street,” has died at age 81. The Burlington, Ont.-based Crossroads Christian Communications Inc., which Mainse founded, said the reverend died after a battle with MDS leukemia. Source
  • Macron calls on Europe to reject isolationism, for EU to share a military force

    World News CBC News
    Calling Europe slow, weak and ineffective, French President Emmanuel Macron on Tuesday said the EU should embrace a joint budget, shared military force and harmonized taxes to stay globally relevant. "At the beginning of the next decade, Europe must have a joint intervention force, a common defence budget and a joint doctrine for action," said Macron. Source
  • Full federal court to hear ’Making a Murderer’ appeal

    World News Toronto Sun
    MADISON, Wis. — A federal appeals court will consider arguments Tuesday over whether detectives tricked a Wisconsin inmate featured in the “Making a Murderer” series into confessing and whether he should go free in a case that puts police practices in the spotlight. Source
  • Toronto cop who Tasered and stomped on suspect appears before disciplinary hearing

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A Toronto police sergeant who stomped on and repeatedly Tasered a man during arrest has made his first appearance at a disciplinary hearing. Sgt. Eduardo Miranda was charged with unlawful or unnecessary use of authority and discreditable conduct under the Police Services Act after a civilian police oversight agency investigation. Source
  • Bangladesh plans separate shelters for Rohingya children

    World News CTV News
    DHAKA, Bangladesh -- Bangladesh is planning to build separate shelters for 6,000 Rohingya Muslim children who entered the country without parents to escape violence in neighbouring Myanmar, a government official said Tuesday. Children make up about 60 per cent of the estimated 480,000 Rohingya Muslims who have poured into Bangladesh over the last four weeks to flee persecution in Buddhist-majority Myanmar. Source
  • Former B.C. finance minister Mike de Jong enters Liberal leadership race

    Canada News CTV News
    VICTORIA -- British Columbia's former finance minister Mike de Jong has announced his bid for the provincial Liberal leadership, joining a race that already includes two other past cabinet ministers and the former mayors of B.C. Source
  • Trump to visit Puerto Rico next Tuesday

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he'll visit hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico next Tuesday. Trump announced the visit after the administration came under criticism for its response to the damage on the island that is home to more than 3 million U.S. Source