Work beginning on preparations for appeal in Oland conviction: lawyer

SAINT JOHN, N.B. -- Work has started on an appeal for Dennis Oland who was convicted on the weekend of second-degree murder in the death of his father, his lawyer said Monday.

See Full Article

Alan Gold said in an email that preparations were underway, but he wouldn't offer details on the basis of the appeal or when it might be filed.

"Obviously, we are all disappointed at this unexpected outcome and preparation has started for an appeal," Gold said. "It would not be appropriate to say any more at this time."

The statement comes after a jury found Oland guilty Saturday of second-degree murder in the death of prominent New Brunswick businessman Richard Oland.

Dennis Oland sobbed uncontrollably as the jury read out the verdict in a Saint John courtroom. Family members cried and hugged each other, with many appearing to be stunned by the verdict which came after about 30 hours of deliberations.

A statement from Oland's mother, Connie, said the family was shocked by the outcome and they continue to believe in his innocence.

The trial, which began in September, heard from nearly 50 witnesses and revealed a case built on what Justice John Walsh called largely circumstantial evidence.

Richard Oland's body was found face down in a pool of blood in his Saint John office on July 7, 2011. He had suffered 45 blunt and sharp force blows to his head, neck and hands, although no weapon was ever found.

The Olands are a prominent family in the history of the Maritimes, having founded Moosehead Breweries. Richard Oland left the family business in 1981.

During the trial, the Crown focused on possible issues of motive including Dennis Oland's financial difficulties and the knowledge his father was having an affair.

But in his own testimony, Oland downplayed his finances as a recurring issue in the life of a financial adviser and said he never raised them with his father. He also said the two never discussed his father's affair.

The defence pointed to video that showed Dennis Oland and his wife shopping later on the evening of July 6, 2011, when people working below Richard Oland's office say they believe they heard the sounds of the murder.

A conviction on second-degree murder carries a life sentence with a range of parole eligibility set between 10 and 25 years.

All 12 jurors have recommended that Oland have no chance of parole for 10 years, however the final decision rests with Walsh.

Sentencing arguments are set for Feb. 11.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Alberta legislature session to begin under new Premier Jason Kenney

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON -- The Alberta legislature is to start a new session today with a lot of new faces and a new government in charge. Premier Jason Kenney and the 63 members of his United Conservative caucus are to be sworn in as legislature members and a Speaker is to be chosen. Source
  • Thousands of Saudi students remain in Canada, despite Riyadh's pledge to axe scholarships

    Canada News CBC News
    Thousands of university students from Saudi Arabia remain in Canada despite being ordered out of the country by their government last August, but planning is underway to mitigate the impact on Canadian universities when those students graduate and are not replaced. Source
  • 'Like Christmas every day': A billionaire's pledge to erase this class's college debts could echo for decades

    World News CBC News
    Morehouse College, the private, all-male, historically black college in Atlanta that counts Martin Luther King among its alumni, expects its attendees to aspire to greatness. Soon, many in the graduating class of 2019 can start doing so, no matter the cost. Source
  • Mississippi 6-week abortion ban heads to federal court

    World News CTV News
    JACKSON, Miss. -- A federal judge who struck down Mississippi's 15-week abortion ban last year is hearing arguments about a new law that puts the ban even earlier. The law would prohibit most abortions once a fetal heartbeat can be detected, at about six weeks, when many women may not know they're pregnant. Source
  • Accused New Zealand mosque shooter charged with terrorism

    World News CTV News
    WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- New Zealand police on Tuesday filed a terrorism charge against the man accused of killing 51 people at two Christchurch mosques. Australian Brenton Harrison Tarrant, 28, was already facing murder and attempted murder charges from the March 15 shootings. Source
  • New Zealand police file terrorism charge against man accused of massacre in mosques

    World News CBC News
    New Zealand police have charged the man accused of murder in shootings at two Christchurch mosques in March with engaging in a terrorist act, they said on Tuesday. In an attack broadcast live on Facebook, a lone gunman armed with semi-automatic weapons targeted Muslims attending Friday prayers, killing 51 worshippers and wounding dozens of people. Source
  • Yemen rebels say drone hits arms depot at Saudi airport

    World News CTV News
    DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- Yemen's Houthi rebels said Tuesday they launched a bomb-laden drone targeting an airport in Saudi Arabia that also has a military base inside of it, an attack acknowledged by the kingdom as Mideast tensions remain high between Iran and the U.S. Source
  • Yemen rebels say their drone hit arms depot at Saudi airport

    World News CTV News
    DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- Yemen's Houthi rebels said Tuesday they launched a bomb-laden drone into Saudi Arabia, targeting an airport with a military base -- an attack acknowledged by the kingdom as Mideast tensions remain high between Iran and the United States. Source
  • Ex-White House lawyer to skip hearing as Democrats debate next steps

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- House Democrats are facing yet another brazen attempt by President Donald Trump to stonewall their investigations, this time with former White House counsel Donald McGahn defying a subpoena for his testimony on orders from the White House. Source
  • New Zealand crews reenter coal mine 8 years after 29 killed

    World News CTV News
    WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- Crews in New Zealand on Tuesday reentered an underground coal mine where a methane explosion killed 29 workers more than eight years ago, raising hopes among family members that they might find bodies and new evidence that leads to criminal charges. Source