Mac’s killings: Charges pending against 2 men, 13-year-old boy

Charges are pending against two men and a 13-year-old boy accused of gunning down two Mac’s convenience store employees in Edmonton during early morning robberies the police chief called “gratuitous” and “evil.

See Full Article

Edmonton Police Chief Rod Knecht told reporters Thursday that police received a signal from a personal alarm inside a convenience store around 3:30 a.m. Friday morning. After three phone calls were made to see whether it was a false alarm, a patrol car was sent.

When the police arrived less than 15 minutes after the alarm, they found a man who had been shot, Knecht said.

That man was Karanpal Singh Bhangu, 35, who later died in hospital from a gunshot wound to the stomach.

Around the same time police discovered Bhangu, they were alerted to a second victim at another store. A delivery man had “entered the (other Mac’s) store and noticed a trail of blood,” Knecht said.

That victim, 41, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Knecht said police used surveillance camera footage to identify three masked suspects, who were later spotted by police in a stolen vehicle and taken into custody. The vehicle was involved in a crash, he added.

“Neither of the victims offered any resistance to the robbers and posed no threat to them,” Knecht said.

"This was a barbaric and gratuitous act of violence upon two innocent persons resulting in a senseless loss of life,” he added, calling it “gratuitous, evil.”

The suspects’ names have not been released pending charges, but they are males aged 26, 24 and 13. They were “known to police.”

Knecht said the motive appears to be “simple robbery” and that the thieves would not likely have gotten away with much, because Mac’s employees deposit most cash in safes that night employees can’t open.

Knecht confirmed that no witnesses have yet come forward, suggesting each victim was working alone when the shootings occurred.

Third robbery

Edmonton convenience store owner Kashyap Pandit said his store was robbed by two masked men, one with a gun and the other with a knife, on Thursday evening around 8:15 p.m.

Pandit said that his wife, who recently immigrated from India and has limited English skills, was alone in the store when it happened.

“We are fortunate nothing happened physically to my wife,” he said, describing the robbery as “very scary.”

“They made her to open the till and whatever money was in the till, they took,” he said. “And they cut the phone wires, the cable lines.”

“They even took her cellphone so that she (could not) call the police,” he added.

Pandit said police had taken a report and asked for a copy of his security camera footage.

He said he had considered changing the store’s closing time to midnight, but had kept it at 8:30 p.m., partly out of concerns about the safety of staying open later.

Call for action

The Alberta Federation of Labour said the deaths are “a grim reminder that workers working retail in the middle of the night face greater risks of violence,” and called for stricter safety regulations.

“We know from experience that workers working in the middle of the night are at dramatically greater risk of violence,” Alberta Federation of Labour president Gil McGowan said, according to the statement.

“Government has a responsibility to act.”

McGowan said Alberta should follow the lead of British Columbia, where all-night retail employers are required to have more than one person on duty at night, or put overnight employees working alone behind secure barriers.

McGowan also called for mandatory training for late-night retail employees on “how to deal with robberies and gas-and-dash situations” and “spot checks” to make sure safety rules are being followed.

Mac’s responds

A spokesperson for Mac’s issued a brief press release calling the deaths “sad.”

“My heart aches for the many lives impacted by this tragedy and especially for the families of the two victims,” said Mac’s Western Canada Vice-President of Operations Bonnie Birollo, according to the statement.

“We are doing all we can to support our people and to reach out to those in need."

With files from CTV Edmonton and CTV Alberta Bureau Chief Janet Dirks



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Trump recounts minute-by-minute details of Soleimani strike to donors at Mar-a-Lago

    World News CTV News
    U.S. President Trump recounted minute-by-minute details of the strike that killed Iran's top military commander during remarks to high-dollar Republican donors at his South Florida estate, according to audio obtained by CNN. Trump, speaking at a GOP fundraising dinner Friday evening, offered new details about the strike that killed Gen. Source
  • Thousands gather for Women's March rallies across the U.S.

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Thousands gathered in cities across the country Saturday as part of the nationwide Women's March rallies focused on issues such as climate change, pay equity, reproductive rights and immigration. Hundred showed up in New York City and thousands in Washington, D.C. Source
  • House Dems to outline case for removing Trump from office

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- House Democrats were preparing to outline their case for removing U.S. President Donald Trump from office in a legal brief due Saturday, as opposing sides in the impeachment case look ahead to the opening of the historic trial in the Senate. Source
  • More than 150 injured after police, protesters clash in Lebanon's capital

    World News CBC News
    Riot police fired tear gas and sprayed water cannons near parliament in Lebanon's capital Saturday to disperse thousands of protesters after riots broke out during a march against the ruling elite amid a severe economic crisis. Source
  • Lebanon police fire tear gas, water cannons at protesters amid Beirut riots

    World News CBC News
    Riot police fired tear gas and sprayed water cannons near parliament in Lebanon's capital Saturday to disperse thousands of protesters after riots broke out during a march against the ruling elite amid a severe economic crisis. Source
  • Prince Harry and Meghan give up royal titles, public funding

    World News CBC News
    Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, will no longer be working members of the Royal Family and will, therefore, no longer use their royal titles or taxpayer money, according to a statement from Buckingham Palace released Saturday. Source
  • Prince Harry and Meghan will give up royal titles, public funding

    World News CBC News
    Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, will no longer be working members of the Royal Family and will, therefore, no longer use their royal titles or taxpayer money, according to a statement from Buckingham Palace released Saturday. Source
  • Harry and Meghan will no longer use royal titles, receive public funds for duties

    World News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Harry and Meghan will no longer use their "royal highness" titles or receive public funds for royal duties, Buckingham Palace announced Saturday.Sign up for our Royal Dispatch newsletter for all the latest Royal news Source
  • Prince Harry, Meghan will no longer use 'royal highness' titles

    World News CTV News
    TORONTO -- v> Prince Harry and Meghan will no longer use their 'royal highness' titles or receive public funds for royal duties, Buckingham Palace announced Saturday.Sign up for our Royal Dispatch newsletter for all the latest Royal news Source
  • Protests close Louvre museum in Paris amid pension strikes

    World News CBC News
    Dozens of protesters blocked the entrance to the Louvre museum and forced the famous Paris landmark to close Friday while they denounced the French government's plans to overhaul the pension system. Protesters later chased down President Emmanuel Macron at an evening theatre performance in northern Paris. Source