Suspects in Edmonton holdups include 13-year-old

EDMONTON -- Charges are pending against two men and a 13-year-old boy after two convenience store employees were gunned down by masked thieves in Edmonton.

See Full Article

Police say the attacks at two Mac's stores early Friday happened 15 minutes apart and several blocks away.

The other suspects are 26 and 24 years old.

The suspects were arrested after officers spotted them in a stolen vehicle outside a third Mac's store and gave chase.

Patrol cars had been sent to other Mac's stores in the city as a precaution when an SUV matching a description of the suspect vehicle was identified.

Arrests were made after a brief police chase along Whitemud Drive, a major city freeway, that ended underneath an overpass when the suspect vehicle crashed.

"This was a barbaric and gratuitous act of violence upon two innocent persons resulting in a senseless loss of life," police Chief Rod Knecht said at a late-afternoon news conference.

"This is very rare that we see this kind of senseless and random violence in our city. Still, two innocent people lost their lives today and there are family members here and overseas that will have their holiday season devastated at this news. We should be outraged as a community."

The first victim was found after an emergency alarm was sounded. Officers found the injured clerk and began CPR until paramedics could take over.

Karanpal Singh Bhangu, 35, was rushed to hospital, but died of his injuries.

The second employee was found dead in the back room of the second store by a delivery man. The 41-year-old man, whose name is not being released until family can be notified, was pronounced dead at the scene.

"From the video evidence we have seen, it is clear that neither of the victims offered any resistance to the robbers and posed no threat to them," Knecht said.

All the suspects have criminal records and evidence found Friday potentially links them to other robberies in the Edmonton area, Knecht said.

The chief said there would have been minimal amounts of cash at each location at that time of day.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • No reports of Canadian casualties in Mexico earthquake: Freeland

    World News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland says there are no reports of Canadian casualties following a magnitude 7.1 earthquake that killed dozens in Mexico. The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake was centred near the Puebla state town of Raboso, about 123 kilometres southeast of Mexico City. Source
  • Deadly 7.1 magnitude earthquake kills 189 in central Mexico [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MEXICO CITY — A magnitude 7.1 earthquake jolted central Mexico on Tuesday, collapsing some buildings, cracking the facades of others and scattering rubble on streets on the anniversary of a devastating 1985 quake. The quake caused buildings to sway sickeningly in Mexico City and sent panicked office workers streaming into the streets, but the full extent of the damage was not yet clear. Source
  • Would-be ISIS fighter caught threatening to bomb girlfriend's car

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    As a wannabe ISIS fighter, Ismael Habib had all the wrong moves. The Montreal native was stuck in Canada while his wife, in Syria with their children, kept bugging him to get on a plane and join the fight. Source
  • Bernardo postpones day parole hearing until 2018

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    How he toys with them yet again. Set to seek day parole next month, schoolgirl killer Paul Bernardo has now decided to postpone his hearing until October 2018, the Toronto Sun has learned. For the French and Mahaffy families, it’s a temporary respite. Source
  • New Zealand officials cancel flights due to fuel shortage

    World News CTV News
    WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- New Zealand's lawmakers and public employees were told Tuesday to cancel all nonessential flights to and from Auckland as a fuel shortage at the nation's largest airport continued to disrupt the travel plans of thousands of people. Source
  • Gender-based ticket pricing sparks death threats against B.C. filmmakers

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    VICTORIA — The filmmakers behind a comedic web series in British Columbia are facing fierce backlash after they tried to tackle economic disparity with ticket prices. Organizers for the Victoria premier of “Building the Room” used “justice pricing” when tickets went on sale last week, with white males being charged $20, while others paid $10. Source
  • Mother demands answers after son, 8, put in restraints and injected on first day of school

    Canada News CBC News
    A Toronto-area mother is searching for answers after she says her son was taken to a hospital alone in the back of a police car, placed in restraints and injected with a sedative after acting out on the first day of school. Source
  • Trump's 'sovereignty' pitch at UN could be good news for autocrats

    World News CBC News
    Threatening to "totally destroy" North Korea. Prophesying that some nations in the room are "going to Hell." Warning diplomats they "haven't heard the last of" his attacks against the Iran nuclear deal. Beyond the dark picture of the world U.S. Source
  • Deadly 7.1 magnitude earthquake hits central Mexico [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MEXICO CITY — A magnitude 7.1 earthquake jolted central Mexico on Tuesday, collapsing some buildings, cracking the facades of others and scattering rubble on streets on the anniversary of a devastating 1985 quake. The quake caused buildings to sway sickeningly in Mexico City and sent panicked office workers streaming into the streets, but the full extent of the damage was not yet clear. Source
  • Suspect tells court he had sex with prostitute, but didn't rape and beat her

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    The suspect in the brutal rape of a Calgary woman in a downtown parkade testified Tuesday someone else was responsible for the attack. Andy Dick Ntunaguza told a two-woman, 10-man jury he had consensual sex with the woman after paying her $50. Source