Turcotte's ex-wife: 'You broke my heart, not my resilience'

SAINT-JEROME, Que. -- The ex-wife of a former Quebec doctor convicted of murdering their two children told him Friday that while he has succeeded in breaking her heart, he has not broken her resolve.

See Full Article

Isabelle Gaston delivered an emotional impact statement at sentencing arguments for Guy Turcotte, who was found guilty earlier this month of second-degree murder in the 2009 stabbing deaths of Olivier, 5, and Anne-Sophie, 3.

The Crown suggested Turcotte serve a minimum 20 years before he's eligible to apply for parole, while the defence countered it should be less than 15 and closer to 10.

Quebec Superior Court Justice Andre Vincent will rule on Jan. 15.

Gaston was the only witness the Crown chose to have testify.

The handcuffed Turcotte cried and tried to wipe away the tears as he listened to her from the prisoner's box.

"I want you to know, Guy Turcotte, that you achieved your goal," Gaston told him as he sat shaking, with his head low.

"I want you to look me in the eyes," she said in a particularly intense moment.

"You broke my heart, but I want you to know you did not break my resilience," she added, as many in the courtroom cried.

Gaston told the judge she always wanted to be a mother but that losing her children ended that dream.

"The woman who existed in 2009 no longer exists and never will again," Gaston told the judge, explaining she has tried to have other children since the slayings and underwent procedures to help that happen.

"But at 43, I have lost hope," she said, choking back tears.

The defence didn't call any witnesses but filed updated psychiatric and psychological assessments.

Turcotte, 43, was invited to speak and seized the opportunity to address the judge and Gaston.

"People cannot understand the shame I have," Turcotte said in a weak-sounding voice. "I cannot look people in the face, I'm so ashamed."

Turcotte said he went to trial as a way of explaining his actions.

"I want to tell you Isabelle, I didn't go to trial to make you feel responsible," he said, adding he wanted to explain what he'd done and gone through "after hitting the bottom of the barrel.

"It was not to hurt you," he said.

"I know I can never forgive myself what happened."

A conviction on second-degree murder carries a sentence of life imprisonment but the court has some latitude on setting parole eligibility.

The minimum time to be served before being able to apply for parole is 10 years, while the maximum is 25 years.

Turcotte's lawyers were hoping the jury would find him not criminally responsible by way of mental disorder -- the verdict that was handed down in 2011 at his first trial.

The jurors had the choice of four possible verdicts: not criminally responsible or guilty of first-degree murder, second-degree murder or manslaughter.

Vincent asked them if they had any recommendations for the minimum number of years Turcotte should serve but they said they had none.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Crowds protest against anti-black racism, police impunity in Montreal

    Canada News CTV News
    Protests form across U.S. demanding end to police violence Crowds protest against anti-black racism, police impunity in Montreal Source
  • Tornado warning called in southern Alberta, meteorologists track storm

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- Officials say a tornado alert has been issued in southern Alberta, and a funnel cloud was spotted near Airdrie Sunday afternoon. Environment Canada called a severe thunderstorm bulletin for the area earlier in the day. Source
  • Ottawa pledges millions to promote tourism within Canada amid COVID-19 pandemic

    Canada News CBC News
    Ottawa is earmarking millions of dollars to promote holiday travel inside Canada as it seeks to help the tourism industry weather the COVID-19 pandemic. The funds announced by Economic Development Minister Melanie Joly on Sunday include $30 million originally intended to attract foreign visitors through the federal tourism marketing agency, Destination Canada. Source
  • 'I didn’t have a voice': Former NHL player Akim Aliu discusses racial divides in hockey

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Former NHL forward Akim Aliu is calling on the league to do more to end the racism that “permeates the culture of hockey” as protests fueled by rage over police mistreatment of African Americans flares in the U.S. Source
  • 85 migrant workers test positive in latest Ontario farm outbreak

    Canada News CBC News
    A farm operation in Norfolk County, south of Simcoe, is the latest agricultural facility in Ontario to declare a COVID-19 outbreak after 85 migrant workers tested positive for the virus. The Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit said Sunday that five workers have been hospitalized and approximately 25 others who tested positive are showing symptoms of the virus. Source
  • 'No justice, no peace': Protests resume in NYC for fourth day

    World News CTV News
    New York City officials were looking for a peaceful way forward as the city entered a fourth day of protests against police brutality that have left police cars burned and led to the arrest of hundreds of people. Source
  • 'No justice, no peace': Protests resume in New York for fourth day

    World News CTV News
    New York City officials were looking for a peaceful way forward as the city entered a fourth day of protests against police brutality that have left police cars burned and led to the arrest of hundreds of people. Source
  • Season's first tropical storm drenches part of Central America

    World News CTV News
    SAN SALVADOR, EL SALVADOR -- The first tropical storm of the Eastern Pacific season drenched parts of Central America on Sunday and officials in El Salvador said at least seven people had died in flooding. President Nayib Bukele decreed a 15-day state of emergency to deal with the rains that began pounding the country on Friday ahead of Tropical Storm Amanda's landfall on Sunday. Source
  • Notre Dame forecourt opens to public after long cleanup

    World News CTV News
    PARIS -- Notre Dame Cathedral's forecourt is being opened up to the public for the first time since the devastating fire of April 15 last year. The body overseeing the Gothic structure's restoration issued a statement Sunday saying that the reopening was finally made possible after several deep clean operations took place to remove toxic lead dust from the large forecourt. Source
  • Dispatches from Yosemite: Alone with the bears and beauty

    World News CTV News
    The glacier-carved valleys of Yosemite National Park have been closed to the public for nearly three months and a few dozen lucky kids have had it mostly to themselves. Locked down amid cascading waterfalls and giant sequoias, the kids and their families have passed afternoons hiking empty trails, rafting in the river and walking with wildlife now thriving in the near absence of humans. Source