Guy Turcotte's ex-wife says he broke her heart by killing kids

SAINT-JEROME, Que. -- The ex-wife of a former Quebec doctor convicted of murdering their two children has told him he succeeded in breaking her heart, but not her will.

See Full Article

Isabelle Gaston delivered an emotional impact statement today at the sentencing arguments for Guy Turcotte, who was found guilty earlier this month of second-degree murder in the deaths of Olivier, 5, and Anne-Sophie, 3.

A conviction on second-degree murder carries a sentence of life imprisonment but the court has some latitude on setting parole eligibility.

The minimum time to be served before being able to apply for parole is 10 years, while the maximum is 25 years.

Gaston is the only witness the Crown chose to have the court hear at the arguments.

The handcuffed Turcotte cried and tried to wipe away the tears as he listened from the prisoner's box.

"I want you to know, Guy Turcotte, that you achieved your goal," Gaston told him as he sat shaking, with his head low.

"I want you to look me in the eyes," she said in a particularly intense moment.

"You broke my heart, but I want you to know you did not break my resilience," she added, as many in the courtroom cried.

Turcotte's lawyers were hoping the jury would find him not criminally responsible by way of mental disorder -- the verdict that was handed down in 2011 at his first trial.

The jurors had the choice of four possible verdicts: not criminally responsible or guilty of first-degree murder, second-degree murder or manslaughter.

Quebec Superior Court Justice Andre Vincent asked them if they had any recommendations for the minimum number of years Turcotte should serve but they said they had none.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Facebook joins resistance to Bolsonaro virus claims

    World News CTV News
    SAO PAULO -- Major social media companies are taking aim at Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro's dismissal of social distancing, joining others in the country who have lined up against his controversial stance regarding the new coronavirus. Source
  • Private funeral, public memorial later set for Joseph Lowery

    World News CTV News
    ATLANTA -- A small, private funeral service for the Rev. Joseph E. Lowery will be held this week out of concerns about the coronavirus, but a large public memorial for the civil rights leader will be held this fall, family members said Tuesday. Source
  • Los Angeles County sheriff abandoning effort to shut down firearms dealers in wake of COVID-19

    World News CTV News
    Full coverage at CTVNews.ca/Coronavirus Tracking every case of COVID-19 in Canada PM Trudeau says more medical supplies coming in days as industry retools Source
  • People claiming to have COVID-19 are threatening to cough on officers: N.S. RCMP

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- The Nova Scotia RCMP says people claiming to have COVID-19 are threatening to cough on police officers. The Mounties say, over the past several days, a number of RCMP officers have reported being threatened to be coughed on by people claiming to have the virus. Source
  • Israel's ultra-Orthodox Jews in fight over virus rules

    World News CTV News
    JERUSALEM, ISRAEL -- Israeli police with face masks and batons and backed by surveillance helicopters have stepped up patrols of ultra-Orthodox Jewish neighbourhoods that have become coronavirus hotspots. This week has seen tense altercations, and some rabbis have admitted that their communities, where prayer and scripture study are traditionally communal, are not observing new social distancing regulations. Source
  • Prisoner advocates urge release strategy to prevent spread of COVID-19 behind bars

    Canada News CBC News
    Prisoners' advocates are ramping up calls to release lower-risk offenders after the Correctional Service Canada (CSC) confirmed COVID-19 cases in two penitentiaries — and are warning that maintaining crowded conditions behind bars during a global pandemic could have disastrous consequences. Source
  • China lockdown may have blocked 700,000 virus cases: researchers

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- China's decision to lock down the city of Wuhan, ground zero for the global COVID-19 pandemic, may have prevented more than 700,000 new cases by delaying the spread of the virus, researchers said Tuesday. Source
  • 'The eleventh hour': Petitions call for cancellation of April 1 rent payments

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- After cancellations started to snowball for Toronto dog walker Joe Rutherford in March, he feared he wouldn’t be able to make rent in April. He quickly lost more than 80 per cent of his business in 48 hours as the COVID-19 pandemic worsened and more clients began to work from home. Source
  • No signs of relief for renters as April 1 approaches

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- After cancellations started to snowball for Toronto dog walker Joe Rutherford in March, he feared he wouldn’t be able to make rent in April. He quickly lost more than 80 per cent of his business in 48 hours as the COVID-19 pandemic worsened and more clients began to work from home. Source
  • Russia's top coronavirus doctor who met Putin tests positive

    World News CTV News
    Full coverage at CTVNews.ca/Coronavirus Tracking every case of COVID-19 in Canada PM Trudeau says more medical supplies coming in days as industry retools Source