Ivan Henry wrongful-imprisonment case about risks of self-representation: Crown

VANCOUVER -- A Crown lawyer says a compensation lawsuit over the wrongful conviction of a British Columbia man who spent 27 years in prison boils down to the accused's decision to represent himself.

See Full Article

John Hunter says 69-year-old Ivan Henry should bear some responsibility for his conviction after repeatedly refusing legal counsel during his 1982 sexual-assault trial.

Hunter says if an accused decides to represent himself and things go poorly he shouldn't be entitled to a "big payday" if the case is reviewed years later.

Henry is suing the provincial government in B.C. Supreme Court for up to $43 million after he spent nearly three decades locked up on 10 sexual-assault convictions before he was acquitted in 2010.

His acquittal focused on potentially useful evidence Crown or police withheld at the time, including sperm samples that didn't match Henry's blood type, contradictory victim statements and a compromising letter sent from a victim to an investigating officer.

The trial should wrap up this week and Chief Justice Christopher Hinkson is expected to reserve his decision.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Peace parades mark 25th anniversary of Los Angeles riots

    World News CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Twenty-five years ago, a jury acquitted four white police officers in the beating of black motorist Rodney King, sparking looting and violence that would turn into one of the deadliest race riots in American history. Source
  • 'I just want to see her breathe': Woman meeting mom who got twin sister's lungs

    Canada News CTV News
    Strangers are meeting in Winnipeg this weekend, more than a year after a tragic event changed their lives forever. One night, in February 2016, 23-year-old Leanne Germain, 23, died of complications from taking the drug ecstasy. Source
  • Tories launch campaign rally as N.S. waits for election call

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Nova Scotia's opposition parties have officially launched their campaigns in anticipation of an election call that could come as soon as this weekend thanks to an apparent gaffe by the governing Liberal party. Source
  • Pope urges against war with North Korea: 'I don't think humanity today could bear it'

    World News CTV News
    Pope Francis is warning that "a good part of humanity" will be destroyed if tensions with North Korea escalate, and he is calling for diplomacy and a revived United Nations to take the lead in negotiating a resolution. Source
  • Halifax mother who gave birth in Superstore didn't know she was pregnant

    Canada News CBC News
    The husband of the woman who gave birth in a Halifax grocery store says the arrival of little Ezra was even more of a surprise than it first seemed: the mother didn't know she was pregnant. Source
  • Samantha Bee gets star support for her Not The Correspondents' Dinner event

    World News CBC News
    Washington's once-glitzy "nerd prom" is about to get overshadowed. Late-night TV star Samantha Bee was pulling in celebrities for the first Not the White House Correspondents' Dinner on Saturday — a tongue-in-cheek play on the real bash, where journalists, the president and, in recent years, lots of bold-face names have mingled. Source
  • Calculators included in places where teens stash their drugs

    World News Toronto Sun
    Does your teen spend a lot of time with his graphing calculator? That could be a sign of a drug problem, according to the DEA. On April 20, the Drug Enforcement Administration tweeted out a link with a simple imperative: Find out where kids hide drugs. Source
  • Teens face murder charges in death of Saskatchewan restaurant owner

    Canada News CTV News
    LA RONGE, Sask. - Three teens are facing murder charges in the death of a Saskatchewan restaurant owner who police say was fatally assaulted during a robbery at his business earlier this month. RCMP say three males, aged 18, 17 and 14 were arrested Friday afternoon without incident in the La Ronge area. Source
  • Ex Montreal borough mayor convicted of sexual touching released after 1 month

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL - A lawyer for a former Montreal borough mayor says her client has been allowed to return home after serving a sixth of his sentence for sexually touching a minor. Renee Millette says Gilles Deguire was released from jail earlier this week after serving one month of a six-month sentence. Source
  • Chronicles of crime [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    RANDY RINK RAT’S RAGE Thomas Clayton never stopped being a rink rat at heart. The girls, the parties, the fun. The former minor league hockey player couldn’t seem to grow up. Now, he’ll mature into old age in Attica. Source