Ont. ski hill bringing summer activities back

Balmy weather in central Ontario has caused the province’s largest ski resort to rethink its December activities and reopen a roster of summer events.

See Full Article

Blue Mountain will offer rock climbing, zip-lining, mini putt and a ropes course starting this Saturday.

The activities will remain running until temperatures drop to -2.2 C, the warmest possible conditions for staff to make artificial snow.

Public relations manager Tara Lovell says this year’s open date will be “a little bit later” than past ski seasons, and that the team had to “get creative” to entertain visitors, some of whom likely expected snow by mid-December.

“But it’s winter in Ontario, so it’s going to come,” Lovell told CTVNews.ca.

There’s no anticipated date for the slopes to open, but Blue Mountain’s snowmaking crews are watching the forecast “24 hours a day” in anticipation of colder conditions, Lovell said.

Blue Mountain’s latest open date on record was Dec. 26 in 2001.

“As soon as we have a snow-making window we can start blowing snow on the hill,” Lovell said.

A few other Ontario resorts have had better luck with the weather. Calabogie Peaks near Ottawa was able to cover three runs with man-made snow earlier this month. In Muskoka, Hidden Valley Ski Area opened on Dec. 5 but closed the following weekend. It’s scheduled to reopen Saturday.

Closer to Toronto, Dagmar Ski Resort in Ashburn remains closed due to the unseasonably warm weather

Blue Mountain still anticipates plenty of guests for the holidays, Lovell says, and the summer activities are a way to get people outside on the last warm days of the year.

The resort is still running its annual “candy cane scavenger hunt,” movie nights and wagon rides.

And despite the green scenery, Santa is still on site, Lovell said.

“Santa will be here, with or without snow,” she said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Early agreement reached in dispute over Suez Canal ship

    World News CTV News
    CAIRO -- The owners and insurers of the giant container ship that blocked the Suez Canal for nearly a week earlier this year have reached an agreement in principle over their dispute with canal authorities, representatives from both sides said Wednesday. Source
  • Canadian women's soccer team wants to climb further up the Olympic podium

    Canada News CBC News
    With the official announcement of the Canadian women's Olympic soccer roster revealed by Canadian coach Bev Priestman Wednesday, the team can now concentrate on a loftier goal. Winners of back-to-back bronze medals, the Canadian players have aspirations of reaching the medal podium for an unprecedented third consecutive time at the Tokyo Olympics. Source
  • Israel's new government OKs first settlement construction

    World News CTV News
    JERUSALEM -- An Israeli defense ministry body advanced plans for 31 West Bank settlement construction projects Wednesday, the first such move under the country's new government. The plans approved by the Civil Administration include a shopping center, a special needs school and a number of infrastructure projects and zoning changes in existing West Bank settlements, Israeli media reported. Source
  • About 50 people forced from their homes as wildfire west of Edmonton keeps growing

    Canada News CBC News
    A wildfire west of Edmonton that triggered evacuation orders in parts of Yellowhead County on Tuesday continues to burn out of control and is expected to keep growing. "We do expect fire activity to pick up today as temperatures rise," Josee St-Onge, a provincial wildfire information officer said in an interview Wednesday. Source
  • Watchdog calls rate of child sexual abuse in Nunavut a crisis

    Canada News CTV News
    Nunavut's representative for children and youth says the territory's high rate of child sexual abuse amounts to a crisis. Jane Bates testified this week before legislature members to discuss her office's 2019-2020 annual report. Source
  • Nearly $37 million needed to fix ‘critical’ deterioration at 24 Sussex Drive: NCC

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- It will cost $175 million over 10 years to restore Canada’s six official residences to good condition, according to a new report from the National Capital Commission. The homes—including the prime minister’s residence at 24 Sussex Drive—have deteriorated due to years of underfunding. Source
  • Japanese court says married couples must stick to single surname

    World News CBC News
    Japan's Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday that laws requiring married couples to have the same surname are constitutional, dismissing a challenge by three couples seeking to keep separate names. The decision to affirm a 2015 Supreme Court ruling was a disappointment for rights activists who say the laws violate the constitution's guarantee of gender equality, since women almost always sacrifice their surnames. Source
  • Airstrike in Ethiopia's Tigray kills more than 50: witnesses

    World News CTV News
    NAIROBI, KENYA -- An airstrike hit a busy market in Ethiopia's northern Tigray village of Togoga on Tuesday and killed at least 51 people, according to health workers who said soldiers blocked medical teams from traveling to the scene. Source
  • 'It was a hoot': Owl with broken wing that was coaxed into a dog kennel set free in B.C. after recovery

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- An owl with a broken wing that was rescued by highway patrol officers last fall has been set free after its recovery. Last September, a BC Highway Patrol officer spotted an injured owl on Highway 7 near Ruby Creek between Agassiz and Hope. Source
  • Nova Scotia reports no new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday; active cases drop to 60

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Nova Scotia is reporting no new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday, as well as 14 recoveries, as the active number of cases in the province drops to 60 - the lowest number of active cases reported in the province since April 18. Source