Winnipeg mission gets 4,000 socks after donation drive

Patrons of a Winnipeg mission are getting the gift of warm feet tonight, thanks to the generosity and hard work of two Manitobans.

See Full Article

Last month, Megan Hemenway made a post on Facebook, soliciting sock donations from her friends and family for the Siloam Mission, which helps provide food, shelter and clothing for the city's poor and homeless community.

Initially, Hemenway set her goal at what she thought was a reasonable 1,000 pairs.

Little did she know that her message had reached a like-minded friend of a friend, who she had never met, but was inspired to join her cause.

"It just tugged on my heart right away when I read that, and I was like: 'Alright, I work in construction. I know what cold feet are like in winter.’ And I just knew I had to be a part of it," Andrew Vanden Berg, who lives about 128 kilometres away in Winkler, Man., told CTV Winnipeg.

After that, the pair got to work.

Hemenway picked up bags of socks from across Winnipeg, and Vanden Berg put out what he called the "socks box" out in front of his home.

"People would drive up and drop their socks in the box, and I would wave at them out the window as they left," said Vanden Berg.

Before they knew it, hundreds of socks were being dropped off on Vanden Berg's doorstep.

"When we thought it was over he had another 500 pairs, and when we thought that was over we had another 900 pairs," said Hemenway.

When the pair made the delivery on Wednesday, the final tally exceeded Hemenway's original goal by more than 3,000 pairs.

"This pile of socks behind me is crazy, we never expected it," she said before the drop-off.

On the snowiest day @Humsy3 (Megan) dropped off her 4000+ socks she collected for a month! There r no words Megan!! pic.twitter.com/jEKmeQBwbe

— Siloam Mission (@SiloamMission) December 16, 2015

The mound of socks was a welcome sight at the Siloam Mission, which hands out about 200 pairs of sock every day.

"Their feet hurt, they're sore, they're stinky, they're smelly, so to change their socks without worrying about it is huge," said Laura Everett, the organization’s clothing co-ordinator.

And for Hemenway and Vanden Berg it's mission accomplished.

"It is so nice to see that there are so many good people that just want to help people," said Hemenway.

"It is such a basic need that people could really relate to what that meant to not have a pair of socks to keep your feet warm."

#HolySocks! How cold feet brought 2 strangers 2gether to 2 collect 4000 socks 4 @SiloamMission@ctvwinnipeg#ctvwpgpic.twitter.com/JV9NSm8o6V

— Michelle Gerwing (@MichelleGCTV) December 16, 2015

The pair plans to hold the sock drive again next year.

With a report from CTV Winnipeg



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Jack Dorsey's Square buys Jay-Z's Tidal music streaming service

    World News CBC News
    Financial technology company Square, Inc. says it has reached an agreement to acquire a "significant majority ownership" of Tidal, the music streaming service partly owned by Jay-Z. Under the deal announced today, Square will pay $297 million US in cash and stock for Tidal, Jay-Z will be named to Square's board of directors, and he and other artists who currently own shares in Tidal will remain stakeholders. Source
  • Bringing Quebec cuisine home: Sugar shacks sell gourmet kits in bid for survival

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- With many of Quebec’s iconic sugar shacks at risk of permanently closing due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a group of them have come together to launch a gourmet meal box initiative they hope will help keep their traditional businesses alive for another year. Source
  • Ontario records fewer than 1,000 new COVID-19 cases for third straight day

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ontario is reporting fewer than 1,000 new cases of COVID-19 for the third straight day. On Thursday, provincial health officials logged 994 infections of the novel coronavirus, as well as 10 more deaths linked to the disease. Source
  • Sex offender in Ohio admits paying impoverished Filipina moms for child porn

    World News CTV News
    SIDNEY, OHIO -- Warning: Details below may be disturbing to readers. A registered sex offender from Ohio has admitted using dating sites to connect with impoverished women in the Philippines and offering them money in return for sexually explicit photos of their children. Source
  • New Zealand officials warn coastal residents of possible tsunami threat after earthquake

    World News CBC News
    A shallow, powerful earthquake struck off the northeastern coast of New Zealand on Thursday, with officials warning of a possible tsunami threat. There were no immediate reports of serious damage or casualties. New Zealand's National Emergency Management Agency said it was still assessing whether the quake had triggered a tsunami that could affect the country. Source
  • Powerful quake hits near New Zealand; tsunami warning issued

    World News CTV News
    WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND -- Officials in New Zealand issued a tsunami warning for coastal areas after a shallow, powerful earthquake struck off the northeastern coast on Thursday night. There were no immediate reports of serious damage or casualties. Source
  • 8 killed in latest attacks on civilians in Afghanistan

    World News CBC News
    At least seven Afghan civilians were shot and killed by a group of gunmen overnight in the country's east and a physician died when a bomb attached to her rickshaw exploded on Thursday, provincial officials said. Source
  • Dutch court drops farm kidnap charges against cult father

    World News CTV News
    THE HAGUE, NETHERLANDS -- A Dutch court on Thursday dropped the case against a father who isolated his children in a remote farmhouse for a decade, saying that he was mentally unfit for trial. The 68-year old, identified only as Gerrit Jan van D. Source
  • Autopsy: California's 'I-5 Strangler' was strangled himself

    World News CTV News
    IONE, CALIF -- A California serial killer who authorities say strangled and raped at least seven women was fatally choked himself in a state prison, officials said Wednesday. Roger Reece Kibbe, 81, known as the "I-5 Strangler" in the 1970s and 1980s, was spotted unresponsive Sunday in his cell at Mule Creek State Prison southeast of Sacramento -- his 40-year-old cellmate standing nearby. Source
  • U.K. police rule out criminal inquiry into 1995 interview with Diana, Princess of Wales

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- British police said on Thursday they had ruled out a criminal investigation into the famous 1995 BBC interview with the late Diana, Princess of Wales after complaints from her brother that she had been tricked into taking part with the use of forged documents. Source