'Stargazer' doll designed by Canadian girl launched into space

A doll designed by a six-year-old girl from Victoria, B.C. has been launched into outer space, where it will be babysat by a British astronaut.

See Full Article

Six-year-old Abigail Baker donned a NASA T-shirt and assembled her doll collection around a laptop as she watched the “Stargazer” doll – complete with a miniature telescope and tripod – blast into orbit on an unmanned cargo spacecraft on Dec. 6.

The doll was packed in the ship with a life sciences facility, a microsatellite launcher and other scientific gear as the spacecraft made its way to the International Space Station.

Abigail, an avid fan of Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield, designed the figurine earlier this year after her mother sent an email to Arklu, the company behind the “pro-girl” line of Lottie dolls, and suggested the idea of a space-themed girl.

The company gave Abigail free rein to model the 19-centimetre doll, which comes with pink dungarees, tiny brown boots and a poster of notable women in astronomy.

“I got to choose what she came with, what came on her box,” Abigail told CTV Vancouver Island.

British astronaut Tim Peake will be responsible for taking care of the doll and updating Abigail on her adventure.

“[It’s] kind of mind-blowing, I think,” said her mother, Zoe Baker.

Since its release in March, the “Stargazer” doll has already earned accolades in the toy community. It won the “Little Scientists” award at the Space Age Awards 2015 and a special edition of the doll has been made in collaboration with the European Space Agency.

For Abigail, the experience can be summed up in a few words.

“It was super awesome,” she said.

With files from CTV Vancouver Island



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Mississippi moves one step closer to banning transgender athletes from women's sports

    World News CTV News
    Mississippi moved one step closer to banning transgender athletes from participating in women's sports after the state House approved a bill on Wednesday that could make the state the first in the country to add anti-transgender legislation to its books this year. Source
  • After record COVID-19 deaths, Bolsonaro tells Brazilians to stop 'whining'

    World News CTV News
    BRASILIA -- After two straight days of record COVID-19 deaths in Brazil, President Jair Bolsonaro on Thursday told Brazilians to stop "whining" and move on, in his latest remarks attacking distancing measures and downplaying the gravity of the pandemic. Source
  • Minassian decision opens door for verdict of not criminally responsible due to autism

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The judge who found Alek Minassian guilty of murder and attempted murder in the Toronto van attack set Canadian precedent Wednesday by considering autism a "mental disorder" under the Criminal Code. Justice Anne Molloy ruled that autism spectrum disorder did not leave the 28-year-old not criminally responsible for killing 10 people and injuring 16 others, but her decision to consider that possibility means the argument could be made in future cases. Source
  • Health Canada approves Johnson and Johnson vaccine

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Health Canada is to announce approval of the COVID-19 vaccine from Johnson and Johnson this morning, according to multiple sources aware of the decision but not authorized to discuss it publicly. The federal regulator has found the evidence shows the vaccine is both safe and effective against the virus that causes COVID-19. Source
  • Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine becomes 4th to receive Health Canada approval

    Canada News CBC News
    Health Canada has approved the use of Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine in Canada, CBC News has learned. Health officials will announce the approval at a media briefing this morning at 10 a.m., multiple sources with knowledge of the approval confirmed. Source
  • Prince Philip back at King Edward VII's Hospital after heart procedure

    World News CBC News
    Prince Philip, the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth, has been transferred back to a private hospital after successfully undergoing a procedure to treat a heart condition, Buckingham Palace said on Friday. Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh who has been hospitalized for more than two weeks, was moved to a London hospital with a specialist cardiac centre on Monday for treatment for a pre-existing heart issue. Source
  • Teenage girl's beheading spurs calls for 'honour killings' law in India

    World News CTV News
    LUCKNOW, INDIA -- Police in northern India said on Thursday they had arrested a man who beheaded his daughter and carried her severed head to the village police station, a case that spurred calls for a new law against so-called honour killings. Source
  • Ontario to release updated COVID-19 vaccine rollout plan today

    Canada News CBC News
    Ontario officials are expected to provide an update on the province's COVID-19 vaccine rollout on Friday, as residents of three health units also wait to see if stay-at-home orders will be lifted for their regions. Premier Doug Ford is scheduled to hold a news conference beginning at 1 p.m. Source
  • Prince Philip transferred back to private hospital

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- Buckingham Palace says Prince Philip has been transferred back to the private Prince Edward VII's hospital to continue his recovery after a heart procedure. The palace says the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew's Hospital on Wednesday. Source
  • Ontario to decide on public health restrictions for remaining three COVID-19 hot spots

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ontario will decide today what level of restrictions to place on three COVID-19 hot spots still under strict stay-at-home orders. The government extended those orders for Toronto, Peel Region and North Bay two weeks ago due to high virus case numbers. Source