Alberta Crown says forensics, phone records tie Travis Vader to McCann killings

EDMONTON -- Court documents show forensic evidence, cellphone records, an undercover sting and a bullet hole in a hat are part of the Crown's long-running attempt to tie a suspect to the mysterious disappearance of two Alberta seniors.

See Full Article

Lyle and Marie McCann, both in their late 70s, were last seen in 2010 fuelling up their motorhome in their hometown of St. Albert, a bedroom community north of Edmonton. They were on their way to a family camping trip in British Columbia.

Two days later, their burned-out motorhome was discovered in a wooded area near Edson, Alta. The SUV they had been towing was found concealed in another location more than a week after that.

Their bodies have never been found, but police believe they were killed near the hamlet of Peers, east of Edson.

RCMP quickly named Travis Vader as a person of interest in the case although it took nearly two years for them to charge him with two counts of first-degree murder.

The charges were stayed in 2014, just a few weeks before the case was set to go before a jury. The Crown says it realized Mounties hadn't disclosed all evidence in the case. The charges were reactivated last December and a new trial before a judge alone is to start in March.

Vader's lawyers have been arguing in court that the charges should be tossed out over abuse of the judicial process. A hearing on the issue is underway, and a judge lifted a publication ban on some documents Tuesday.

In a pretrial conference memorandum on Dec. 2, 2013, the Crown writes that "forensic evidence ties" Vader to the couple's SUV.

It says Marie McCann's blood was found inside as well as Lyle McCann's hat with a bullet hole in it.

The Crown alleges that Vader used the couple's cellphone the afternoon of July 3, 2010 -- the last day they were seen alive.

"The Crown's case is dependent upon circumstantial evidence, motive and exclusive opportunity, forensic evidence and post offence conduct evidence," reads the document.

None of the allegations have been tested in court, and the Crown states that the defence "does not admit these facts." Vader has pleaded not guilty.

Vader's lawyer Brian Beresh declined Tuesday to talk about the case.

The court documents show the use of undercover officers in the RCMP's investigation, dubbed Project Kontrail.

In November 2011, the documents say, Vader's sister Bobbi Jo Vader was involved in a "scenario" with some of the officers. At one point, during a trip from Edmonton to Calgary, they stopped at the remand centre in Red Deer so she could visit her brother.

An admitted crack addict, the documents say Bobbi Jo Vader initially told officers her brother couldn't have done it. But she later changed her mind.

"She said she believed that Travis was involved in the murders and she saw guns wrapped in blankets that could have come from the McCanns' motorhome," say the documents.

In an RCMP interview with one of the McCanns' children, Trudy Holder said her father kept an axe in the motorhome, under a seat, to fend off bears. He also owned several guns for hunting, she said, but he likely wouldn't have taken them on the trip.

Her mother also kept a small, loaded Derringer pistol in her eyeglasses case. Family didn't find it in their home after the couple disappeared.

Holder told police her father, a former long-haul trucker, used to talk about stopping to help others on the road but hadn't done so recently and wouldn't have if her mother was with him.

When on road trips, the couple typically pulled into rest areas to take breaks and make sandwiches, instead of stopping at restaurants, she said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Toronto man with autism 'traumatized' after police tackle him over toy gun

    Canada News CTV News
    A Toronto family is demanding an apology from police after a man with autism was tackled by several officers because someone reported seeing him holding a plastic toy gun in a car. Zakiyeh Rezaee told CTV Toronto’s Tracy Tong in an exclusive interview that several officers barged into the home where she lives with her 20-year-old son on Saturday night and jumped on top of him. Source
  • Amid legal wrangling, Georgia election uncertainty lingers

    World News CTV News
    ATLANTA -- After two federal court rulings and a flurry of legal filings over a 24-hour period, uncertainty still hangs over Georgia's midterm elections, including the still undecided race for governor. Unofficial results in one of the nation's hottest midterm contests give Republican Brian Kemp a slim majority. Source
  • Ontario company fined for factory accident that left child dead

    Canada News CTV News
    LINWOOD, Ont. -- Ontario's Ministry of Labour says a steel tubing manufacturer has been fined $150,000 for violations related to a factory accident that left a child dead. The ministry says a worker was at J.M. Source
  • New Royal Family photos released to mark Prince Charles' 70th birthday

    World News CTV News
    Clarence House has released two new photos of Prince Charles with his family to mark his 70th birthday. The photos were taken in September by photographer Chris Jackson in the garden of Clarence House, and feature Prince Charles, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their three children. Source
  • Pink Legacy diamond sets new world record

    World News CBC News
    Christie's has sold the "Pink Legacy" diamond at auction for more than $65 million including fees, saying it's a new world record price per carat for a pink diamond. The auction house said that renowned jeweller Harry Winston was the buyer. Source
  • Pink diamond sells for more than US$50M, setting world record

    World News CTV News
    GENEVA -- Christie's sold the "Pink Legacy" diamond at auction Tuesday for more than US$50 million including fees, saying it's a new world record price per carat for a pink diamond. Christie's said that renowned jeweler Harry Winston was the buyer. Source
  • Philadelphia Archdiocese offers compensation to child sex abuse victims

    World News CBC News
    Officials from the Roman Catholic archdiocese of Philadelphia have agreed to pay uncapped compensation offers for victims of child sexual abuse by clergy as part of a claims process that started Tuesday. The Philadelphia archdiocese's program is the first victim compensation fund initiated since a chilling grand jury report was released in August detailing child sexual abuse over seven decades by hundreds of priests in six of Pennsylvania's Catholic dioceses. Source
  • Melania Trump publicly calls for White House aide's firing

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- In an extraordinary move, Melania Trump called publicly Tuesday for the deputy national security adviser to be dismissed. After reports circulated Tuesday that U.S. President Donald Trump had decided to remove Mira Ricardel from her post at the National Security Council, Stephanie Grisham, the first lady's spokeswoman, released a statement that said: "It is the position of the Office of the First Lady that she no longer deserves the honour of serving in this White House. Source
  • Disabled boy has 'forgiven' bullies who walked on him in stream, mother says

    Canada News CTV News
    GLACE BAY, N.S. -- The mother of a Cape Breton teen with cerebral palsy says her son has forgiven a group of students who bullied him last week -- telling him to lie in a shallow stream as other students walked over him. Source
  • Norway says Russia jammed GPS signal during NATO drill

    World News CTV News
    HELSINKI -- The Norwegian Defence Ministry said Tuesday that Russian forces in the Arctic disturbed GPS location signals during a recent large NATO drill in Norway. The ministry said that Norway's Foreign Ministry earlier had raised the issue with Russian authorities. Source