Man accused of killing Tina Fontaine had long history of violence: Parole board

WINNIPEG -- Parole board documents suggest a man accused of killing 15-year-old Manitoba teenager Tina Fontaine has a long history of violent crime fuelled by drug addiction.

See Full Article

Raymond Cormier, 53, was arrested last week in Vancouver and is charged with second-degree murder. Documents from the Parole Board of Canada detail Cormier's "significant and violent criminal history."

Tina's body, wrapped in a bag, was pulled from the Red River in Winnipeg in August 2014.

The parole board revoked Cormier's statutory release in 2012 after he had served time for robbery. It noted he was considered a "high risk to reoffend with violence."

The 2012 report says Cormier had at that time racked up over 80 convictions -- 17 of which were offences involving violence. Previous court documents show that since 1978, Cormier has spent more than 23 years in prison for various offences that include assault and theft.

"You have used your fists, a knife with a six- to seven-inch blade, a hunting knife and a butcher-style knife in the commission of your offences," the report stated.

"You have a lengthy history of violent offending and are an individual who continuously breaches the terms and conditions of your release or have committed new offences while on release. You have a dismal supervisions history and continue to reoffend violently despite treatment."

The board report says that Cormier's violent behaviour began at a young age and that he continued to reoffend despite treatment.

"File information indicates that you were under the influence of illegal substances for most of your past offences and the assaults were most often during your attempt to steal money from your victims for drugs," the report said. "You remain assessed as a high risk for future violent offending."

Cormier's lawyer, Pam Smith, did not immediately respond to attempts to reach her for comment, but the Globe and Mail quoted her as saying Cormier will be "contesting the charges." Cormier's case was scheduled to be in a Winnipeg court Tuesday.

Details of Cormier's 2009 conviction for robbery include how he stole a vehicle from one victim and then robbed an elderly man, putting him in a "bear hug" and threatening him with violence. When Cormier was arrested, the report said, he had the victim's wallet, a crack pipe and a knife.

The board also highlighted a bar fight Cormier was involved in during which "you stabbed your victim twice, once in the right hip and once in the left side."

Calls for an inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal girls and women grew in intensity and frequency in the weeks following Tina's death.

She had only been in Winnipeg a couple of weeks after leaving her great-aunt's home on the Sagkeeng First Nation, about 70 kilometres northeast of Winnipeg.

Police said Tina became an exploited youth in the Manitoba capital and met Cormier at a residence they both frequented.

Court documents allege Tina was killed around Aug. 10, 2014 -- 10 days after she was first reported missing from foster care. Police picked her up two days before it's believed she was killed, but did not take her into custody.

Tina's family has said she was taken into the custody of Child and Family Services and placed in a downtown hotel, but ran away again shortly before she was killed.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Jack Dorsey's Square buys Jay-Z's Tidal music streaming service

    World News CBC News
    Financial technology company Square, Inc. says it has reached an agreement to acquire a "significant majority ownership" of Tidal, the music streaming service partly owned by Jay-Z. Under the deal announced today, Square will pay $297 million US in cash and stock for Tidal, Jay-Z will be named to Square's board of directors, and he and other artists who currently own shares in Tidal will remain stakeholders. Source
  • Bringing Quebec cuisine home: Sugar shacks sell gourmet kits in bid for survival

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- With many of Quebec’s iconic sugar shacks at risk of permanently closing due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a group of them have come together to launch a gourmet meal box initiative they hope will help keep their traditional businesses alive for another year. Source
  • Ontario records fewer than 1,000 new COVID-19 cases for third straight day

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ontario is reporting fewer than 1,000 new cases of COVID-19 for the third straight day. On Thursday, provincial health officials logged 994 infections of the novel coronavirus, as well as 10 more deaths linked to the disease. Source
  • Sex offender in Ohio admits paying impoverished Filipina moms for child porn

    World News CTV News
    SIDNEY, OHIO -- Warning: Details below may be disturbing to readers. A registered sex offender from Ohio has admitted using dating sites to connect with impoverished women in the Philippines and offering them money in return for sexually explicit photos of their children. Source
  • New Zealand officials warn coastal residents of possible tsunami threat after earthquake

    World News CBC News
    A shallow, powerful earthquake struck off the northeastern coast of New Zealand on Thursday, with officials warning of a possible tsunami threat. There were no immediate reports of serious damage or casualties. New Zealand's National Emergency Management Agency said it was still assessing whether the quake had triggered a tsunami that could affect the country. Source
  • Powerful quake hits near New Zealand; tsunami warning issued

    World News CTV News
    WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND -- Officials in New Zealand issued a tsunami warning for coastal areas after a shallow, powerful earthquake struck off the northeastern coast on Thursday night. There were no immediate reports of serious damage or casualties. Source
  • 8 killed in latest attacks on civilians in Afghanistan

    World News CBC News
    At least seven Afghan civilians were shot and killed by a group of gunmen overnight in the country's east and a physician died when a bomb attached to her rickshaw exploded on Thursday, provincial officials said. Source
  • Dutch court drops farm kidnap charges against cult father

    World News CTV News
    THE HAGUE, NETHERLANDS -- A Dutch court on Thursday dropped the case against a father who isolated his children in a remote farmhouse for a decade, saying that he was mentally unfit for trial. The 68-year old, identified only as Gerrit Jan van D. Source
  • Autopsy: California's 'I-5 Strangler' was strangled himself

    World News CTV News
    IONE, CALIF -- A California serial killer who authorities say strangled and raped at least seven women was fatally choked himself in a state prison, officials said Wednesday. Roger Reece Kibbe, 81, known as the "I-5 Strangler" in the 1970s and 1980s, was spotted unresponsive Sunday in his cell at Mule Creek State Prison southeast of Sacramento -- his 40-year-old cellmate standing nearby. Source
  • U.K. police rule out criminal inquiry into 1995 interview with Diana, Princess of Wales

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- British police said on Thursday they had ruled out a criminal investigation into the famous 1995 BBC interview with the late Diana, Princess of Wales after complaints from her brother that she had been tricked into taking part with the use of forged documents. Source