Five taken to hospital for carbon monoxide exposure in Edmonton

Five people were sent to hospital in Edmonton after they were exposed to carbon monoxide from an idling car. Four of the individuals are in critical condition.

See Full Article

Edmonton Fire Rescue was called to a home in the city's southeast end just after 4 p.m. on Sunday. The first responders found five people inside the house who were affected by carbon monoxide from a car that was left idling in the garage. First responders said the garage door was half-closed, and the car had been idling for about 40 minutes.

Neighbours say about five or six men in their 20s and 30s live in the house.

An individual who lives in the house, but was not there at the time of the incident, told CTV Edmonton that the door leading into the house from the garage was left open, allowing the dangerous gas to enter the home.

Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas that can be deadly when inhaled by humans or animals. The gas is produced whenever fuel is burned in automobiles, stoves, grills, fireplaces and furnaces.

The best way to protect against carbon monoxide poisoning is to install a battery-powered detector in your home, and check and replace the batteries whenever you change your clocks in the fall and spring, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

With files from CTV Edmonton



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News