Cedrika Provencher's remains found, missing since 2007

Quebec police say remains discovered on Friday belong to Cedrika Provencher, a young girl who went missing in 2007.

Officers say hunters found the remains in a wooded area about 15 kilometres from Trois-Rivieres, Que.

See Full Article

, and contacted officials.

Police closed off the area for investigation and sent the remains in for testing, which confirmed they belonged to Cedrika.

Cedrika was nine years old when she disappeared from her Trois-Rivieres neighbourhood on July 31, sparking a massive search effort from volunteers and police.

At the time, neighbours said the girl had last been seen searching for a stranger's lost dog.

Her bike was discovered later that evening, propped up against a fire hydrant.

Cedrika's father, Martin Provencher, spent years looking for his daughter, saying in a 2008 interview with CTV Montreal that it would be "impossible" for him to give up on his search.

Now, after more than eight years, he finally has some answers.

In a message on Facebook on Sunday, Martin Provencher thanked everyone who helped lead to the discovery.

"You've allowed us to make it past another step in this horrible tragedy," he wrote in French. "Now, we can begin mourning in peace."

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau offered his condolences via Twitter.

My heart goes out to the family of Cédrika Provencher. May you finally be able to mourn your daughter and may she rest in peace.

— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) December 13, 2015

Trois-Rivieres Mayor Yves Levesque told reporters that the community held on to hopes that Cedrika would be found alive one day, “but the reality came up very fast yesterday."

There have been no arrests in relation to the case, but Quebec police say the investigation into Cedrika's death is ongoing. They have not commented on the cause of death.

There are now more than 50 investigators searching the area, looking for other evidence.

Despite the heartbreaking news, Cedrika’s family can now enter a period of mourning, according to Pina Arcamone of the Missing Children's Network, who has worked closely with the family.

“I know that it’s been eight long years for this family. Martin mentioned not too long ago that he was tired. He was tired being able to go on every day not knowing where Cedrika was and that he needed answers,” Arcamone said.

But she added that the “nightmare is still not over” as police haven’t located a suspect.

“We need to find who committed this horrendous crime and this person has to be brought before justice and be put behind bars,” Arcamone said.

"We have to get them off the streets so that (they) can never, ever hurt another child, and put another family through this unbearable grief," she added.

Cedrika's disappearance sparked widespread support in the province, and across Canada.

Hundreds of volunteers offered their assistance to police during the initial search, many of whom returned to the area Sunday to drop off flowers and pay their respects to the family.

Among those who showed up was Martin Prudhomme, the former lead investigator on the case.

Prudhomme, who is now the head of Quebec's provincial police, told reporters in French that he spoke to Cedrika's parents Sunday, and it was a very difficult day for them.

Cedrika's case also inspired the creation of the Cedrika Provencher Foundation.

The foundation is dedicated to ensuring Cedrika's story won't be forgotten, and that no other families suffer the same loss.

Police are asking anyone with information to contact them at 1-800-659-4264.

With files from CTV Montreal's Stephane Giroux



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Rescuers wriggle into collapsed school after Mexico quake

    World News CTV News
    MEXICO CITY -- The three-storey school structure had pancaked into a pile of concrete slabs. The bodies of 21 children and four adults had been pulled out. But still sounds came from the collapsed structure on Wednesday -- and finally a survivor was located. Source
  • Families walk Highway of Tears to honour missing, murdered Indigenous women

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- When Gladys Radek walks the Highway of Tears, she says she can feel the spirits of women who are missing or have been murdered walking beside her. Dozens have vanished or been killed along the notorious stretch of Highway 16 in central British Columbia. Source
  • Life under Kim Jong Un: Executions by anti-aircraft gun, sex slaves serving caviar

    World News Toronto Sun
    North Korean crackpot Kim Jong Un appears to have stolen a page out of the ISIS execution manual. A North Korean defector, whose father was a senior official in the hermit country’s regime, told the UK Mirror that she watched 11 musicians get “blown to bits” when they were executed with high powered anti-aircraft guns. Source
  • Trump tweets support for latest Republican effort to repeal Obamacare

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump says he hopes Republican senators will vote for new legislation that aims to repeal and replace the health care law enacted by his predecessor. Trump says on Twitter that the so-called Graham-Cassidy bill is "GREAT!" and "Ends Ocare!" a reference to "Obamacare," the colloquial name for the set of health laws in place in the United States. Source
  • U.S. museum given award for returning 22 Inuit bodies dug up 90 years ago

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A renowned American museum and an Inuit government have received an award for returning Inuit bodies that had been dug up and taken for scientific study. Chicago’s Field Museum and the Nunatsiavut government in Labrador have been given the first Cultural Repatriation Award by Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, Canada’s national Inuit group. Source
  • 'Saddened' Donald Trump mocks Emmy ceremony for low ratings [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump is mocking Sunday’s Emmy Awards ceremony — where he himself was frequently mocked by host Stephen Colbert, presenters and prize-winners. Trump tweets, “I was saddened to see how bad the ratings were on the Emmys last night - the worst ever. Source
  • Ontario boosting penalties for careless and distracted drivers

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ontario is planning to fine careless drivers who cause death up to $50,000. Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca announced today that the Liberal government will introduce legislation this fall that would help crack down on careless and distracted driving. Source
  • Ottawa Public Library to ban users from browsing online porn

    Canada News CTV News
    The Ottawa Public Library has changed its computer policy to prohibit users from looking at pornography and violent content, after a mother complained that her daughter saw porn on a patron’s computer at her local branch. Source
  • Man arrested, accused of shooting grandson's father dead while father held baby

    World News Toronto Sun
    YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio — Authorities say a 61-year-old man has been arrested in Ohio after fatally shooting the father of his 3-week-old grandson while the father held the child. The shooting occurred Monday night during a domestic dispute in Youngstown. Source
  • Sentencing for sexual predator who sexually assaulted six girls from the same family

    World News Toronto Sun
    DOYLESTOWN, Pa. — A man convicted of sexually assaulting six girls from the same family, fathering two children with one of them, is scheduled to be sentenced in a Pennsylvania court. Fifty-two-year-old Lee Donald Kaplan will be sentenced in Bucks County court Wednesday on multiple counts of child rape, statutory sexual assault and other charges. Source