TRC to release final report on Canada's residential school legacy

OTTAWA - The Truth and Reconciliation Commission, which documented the haunting legacy of Canada's residential schools, is set to present its final report Tuesday to the parties in the class-action settlement that led to its creation.

See Full Article

Justice Murray Sinclair, who has led the TRC's exhaustive investigation over the past six years, said each member of the agreement will receive a copy of the massive findings to complete the commission's obligation.

The Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement was reached after former residential school survivors took the federal government and churches to court with the support of the Assembly of First Nations and Inuit organizations.

The arrangement was designed to help repair the lasting damage caused by the schools, and - in addition to compensating survivors - to explore the truth behind the government-funded, church-operated assimilation program that existed in Canada from the 1870s to 1996.

After unveiling its summary in June, which included the key finding that the residential school system facilitated nothing short of "cultural genocide," the TRC will now release hard copies of the full report.

Each copy weighs about 25 pounds, Sinclair estimates. But that's nothing compared to the work's emotional heft.

"Every time I stand in front of a crowd - particularly of survivors, but a crowd generally - and I talk about the issue of residential schools, I always wonder if I can get through it," Sinclair said.

"It is always such a challenge because it ... has been a very demanding piece of work and that alone would be enough to cause difficulty to talk about. But more importantly, there's so many people who have been part of this who are no longer with us."

Among the commission's 94 recommendations was a national public inquiry to examine the phenomenon of missing and murdered aboriginal women - a demand long resisted by former prime minister Stephen Harper.

Last week, the new Liberal government set the wheels in motion by kicking off the "design phase" of the long-awaited inquiry.

The pre-inquiry consultation involves speaking to victims' families and aboriginal organizations.

"They've taken steps to carry out that commitment and that's important," Sinclair said.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has also approached aboriginal issues in a more respectful manner, he added.

"In our calls to action, in our summary report, we did talk about the importance in leadership and the importance of there being a national voice around reconciliation," he said.

"It is also about changing the way we talk to and about each other."

Sinclair, the first aboriginal judge appointed in Manitoba, said he's hopeful there will be a broad discussion about the inquiry and its terms of reference, and that the inquiry is tasked with exploring whether systemic issues are at play.

"I think really the emphasis is going to be to try to answer the big questions of what happened and why?" Sinclair said.

"It is not just the families, it is also Canadian society. I think Canada needs to know as well why is this happening and is it happening elsewhere? That's a bigger question ... is this going on around the world?"



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Police to update case of couple accused of bilking homeless man of GoFundMe money

    World News CBC News
    A New Jersey prosecutor says he will announce developments in a criminal investigation of a couple that raised $400,000 US for a homeless man they said helped them with a disabled car. Burlington County prosecutor Scott Coffina has scheduled a news conference for Thursday afternoon. Source
  • 'This did not need to happen': No arrests in alleged triple homicide

    Canada News CTV News
    The brother of one of three people found dead in southern Ontario earlier this month fought back tears Thursday as he urged anybody with information that might help investigators to come forward. “Please, anybody – somebody knows something,” Trevor Miller said. Source
  • Quebec judge says class action lawsuit over McDonald's Happy Meal toys can go ahead

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- A judge has authorized a lawsuit to proceed against McDonald's Canada over the marketing of Happy Meals to Quebec children. Montreal lawyer Joey Zurkan sought authorization for a class action lawsuit, arguing promotion of the popular meals constitutes illegal advertising to children. Source
  • Prosecutor to discuss pair who raised $400K for homeless man

    World News CTV News
    MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. -- A New Jersey prosecutor says he will announce developments in a criminal investigation of a couple that raised US$400,000 for a homeless man they said helped them with a disabled car. Source
  • Kremlin critic Navalny was political prisoner, says European court

    World News CBC News
    The European Court of Human Rights ruled on Thursday that Russia's repeated arrests and detention of opposition leader Alexei Navalny were politically motivated and breached his human rights, a decision certain to displease the Kremlin. The court, based in Strasbourg, said Navalny had been subject to seven such arrests in 2012 and in 2014 and that at least two of those arrests had been designed to suppress political pluralism. Source
  • Homeowner digs in after neighbours say he can't build the house he wants

    Canada News CTV News
    Neighbours often come together to help each other out, but residents of one street in Ottawa are teaming up to stop one of their own from getting his wish.Read more on this story from CTV Ottawa Hassan Moghadam bought a property in the city’s Glebe neighbourhood. Source
  • After arrest, Michael Avenatti denies L.A. domestic violence

    World News CTV News
    LOS ANGELES - Stormy Daniels' lawyer Michael Avenatti denies allegations of domestic violence. Avenatti was arrested Wednesday near his skyscraper apartment in a ritzy area of Los Angeles. Police won't release details but say the alleged victim had visible injuries. Source
  • Newfoundland woman's search for missing relatives in California comes to difficult end

    Canada News CTV News
    LEWISPORTE, N.L. -- A Newfoundland woman who launched a desperate bid to find family members missing thousands of kilometres away in a fire-ravaged California town says the search has come to a difficult end. Megan Janes says her aunt and uncle, Paradise residents Paula and Randy Dodge, are no longer missing but also "no longer with us. Source
  • German tourist shot in head near Calgary still requires 24/7 care

    World News CBC News
    A German tourist, who visited Alberta to celebrate his 60th birthday, still requires 24/7 care and likely will never work again, says the Honorary German Consulate in Calgary. Horst Stewin, 60, was randomly shot in the head on an Alberta highway this summer. Source
  • School children among 40 injured in head-on crash of buses

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN -- Police say 40 adults and children have been injured, five of them "very seriously," in a head-on collision involving two public buses in southern Germany. A spokesman for Bavarian police said the people injured in the Thursday crash outside Nuremberg included school children, but he couldn't immediately say how many. Source