Change of address: Relocated Montreal home to be included in condo project

One of Montreal's oldest buildings has found a new temporary home, while it waits for its permanent digs to be prepared inside a new condo development.

See Full Article

The Keegan House, a 19th century cottage in the city's downtown neighbourhood of Griffintown, was transported on the back of truck to a new lot 300 metres away Wednesday.

The Anglo-Norman wood-and-brick home, which was built between 1825 and 1835, sat on a plot of land on McCord Street that was slated to become a 14-storey condo development.

Instead of tearing down the historic home, the developer, Maitre-Carre, opted to preserve it and integrate it into the condo.

"It is going to be the living room in the new lobby that we'll be able to use for another 200 years," said Hugo Girard-Beauchamp, the president of Maitre-Carre.

But that has turned out to be no easy task, and Maitre-Carre has had to find a temporary site for the Keegan House during construction on the condo.

The cottage had been moved before. It was previously located on Murray Street, but a school teacher named Andrew Keegan moved it to its current site.

While the house's new location is relatively close to the old one, navigating the home around modern obstacles, such as lamp posts, made Wednesday's move likely more delicate than it was in the past.

"It is a very special operation," said Beauchamp. "It was done back in the day but there weren't any wires … (and) not as much traffic."

But some neighbourhood advocates say Maitre-Carre made the right decision when it opted for the difficult move.

"I am sure it would've been very easy to just destroy the house and to build a new building, but they decided to keep the history," said Damien Siles, executive director of Quartier de L'Innovation.

And the Keegan House is a piece of Montreal history that Beauchamp says he had an obligation to protect.

"We have a responsibility to make sure that if we can preserve our heritage, well we have to do it," he said.

With a report from CTV Montreal Bureau Chief Genevieve Beauchemin



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Philippine forces fight to retake city besieged by ISIS linked terrorists [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MARAWI, Philippines — Philippine forces control most of a southern city where militants linked to the Islamic State group launched a bloody siege nearly a week ago, authorities said Monday, as the army launched airstrikes and went house-to-house to crush areas of resistance. Source
  • Woman plans to trek 15,000 km for Canada's 150th [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    TORONTO - Melanie Vogel may already feel like a Canadian, but she still wants to walk 15,000 kilometers across the landscape on a personal mission for the nation’s 150th anniversary. Vogel, who permanently moved to Canada in 2008 from Dresden, Germany, is gearing up for the monstrous cross-Canada journey on May 31, departing from St. Source
  • Artist depicts world leaders as desperate migrants

    World News CTV News
    A Syrian artist is highlighting the plight of his people with a series of striking paintings that cast some of the world’s most powerful leaders as powerless refugees. The paintings depict such figures as U.S. Source
  • Quebecers head to polls for by-election in Montreal riding of Gouin

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebecers are voting in a provincial byelection Monday in the Montreal riding of Gouin, where a former student activist running for the left-wing Quebec solidaire party is heavily favoured to win. Ex-student leader Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois is up against 13 candidates including the Liberals' Jonathan Marleau, a former president of the party's youth wing. Source
  • Defence minister says Canada will extend Indian Ocean commitment to 2021

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says Canada will extend its commitment to maritime security in the Red Sea, the Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean with ships and personnel. He says Operation Artemis will be extended until the end of April 2021. Source
  • Attorney General to propose safe zones around Ontario abortion clinics

    Canada News CBC News
    Ontario Attorney General and Ottawa Centre MPP Yasir Naqvi plans to propose a bill that would create safe zones around abortion clinics. Naqvi made the announcement Monday morning alongside Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson and Ottawa city councillor Catherine McKenney, saying policies like this are more important than ever in a polarized society. Source
  • JFK's life, legacy to be celebrated on his centennial

    World News CTV News
    BOSTON -- The life and legacy of President John F. Kennedy, who died at 46, will be celebrated on the day he would have turned 100. The United States Postal Service plans to commemorate Kennedy's centennial Monday with a dedication of a new JFK postage stamp in Brookline, Massachusetts, a Boston suburb where the late president was born on May 29, 1917. Source
  • British intelligence re-examines suicide bomber's file in light of Manchester attack

    World News CBC News
    Britain's intelligence agency, MI5, has begun an internal review of how it handled intelligence on Manchester suicide bomber Salman Abedi, who was known to the authorities but not under active investigation, a source told Reuters on Monday. Source
  • Paris 'Afro-feminist' festival that bars white people draws racism accusations

    World News Toronto Sun
    Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo has strongly criticized a black feminist festival in Paris that bans non-black people in large parts of the event, saying she might call for the prosecution of its organizers on grounds of discrimination. Source
  • Alleged serial semen lobber Manuel Banuelos-Alcala arrested in Portland following string of incidents

    World News Toronto Sun
    An accused serial semen lobber has been charged with third-degree sex abuse in Portland. Manuel Banuelos-Alcala was arrested last week after cops spotted him inside a parked car outside a Safeway on the city’s south side. The 47-year-old is accused of targeting the same woman in two separate incidents at the supermarket – once last November and again in April. Source