Burundi is unsafe for travel, Canadian officials say

Government officials are advising Canadians to avoid any travel to the east-African nation of Burundi due to a recent spike in violence.

See Full Article

The warning is due to “ongoing political tensions, civil unrest and daily armed violence,” Global Affairs Canada said in an advisory published Sunday.

“The situation could deteriorate rapidly. If you are in Burundi, you should leave by commercial means if you can do so safely,” the statement says.

Tensions throughout the country remain high since the July 2015 election, in which President Pierre Nkurunziza won a controversial third term. Protesters argued that Nkurunziza was ineligible to hold office a third time due to constitutional constraints.

More than 300 people have been killed and 215,000 others have fled the nation since April, when Nkurunziza made the contentious decision to run.

Gunfire and grenade attacks have become part of “daily violence” in some central regions, according to Global Affairs Canada.

On Friday, more than 150 heavily armed men attempted to raid military facilities in the country’s capital of Bujumbura. At least 87 people were killed and 21 injured in the attack.

After the siege, flights into and out of the capital city were temporarily delayed. They have since resumed.

Still, Canadian officials say travellers should be “extremely vigilant” in the capital city, and added caution should be exercised after dark and in crowded places such as churches, markets, cafés and bus stations.

Additionally, Global Affairs Canada says travellers have reported incidents of violence, intimidation and harassment at official checkpoints outside the capital city and toward the Rwandan border.

Officials recommend carrying proper identification at all times and monitoring local news outlets for updates on the tension.

Canadians who require assistance are asked to contact the High Commission of Canada in Nairobi, Kenya.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Death toll climbs to nine as Typhoon Hato moves through China

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING - The death toll from Typhoon Hato has risen to at least nine as the most powerful storm to hit the southern China region around Hong Kong in more than half a century barrelled west Thursday and was losing strength. Source
  • Lucky numbers for US$700M Powerball jackpot drawn

    World News CTV News
    DES MOINES, Iowa - Lottery players across the U.S. scooped up $2 Powerball tickets in hopes of beating the odds and winning a massive $700 million jackpot in Wednesday night's drawing. Some details about the game and the giant prize: Source
  • Pearson ground crew strike continues after union votes 98% against Swissport contract offer

    Canada News CBC News
    The union representing some 700 baggage handlers, cabin cleaners and other ground crew has voted overwhelmingly against a contract offer by Swissport, meaning workers won't be ending their work stoppage, which has gone on four weeks already. Source
  • Arsenic poisoning a risk for 50M in Pakistan: study

    Canada News CTV News
    ISLAMABAD -- Some 50 million people are at risk of arsenic poisoning from contaminated groundwater in Pakistan's Indus Valley -- far more than previously thought, according to a new study. Pakistan is aware of the growing problem, with arsenic levels rising in some areas as people increasingly and indiscriminately draw from the country's underground aquifers, said Lubna Bukhari, who heads the government's Council for Research in Water Resources. Source
  • 'I'm a f------ Nazi,' said a Manitoba man to a woman asking for directions

    Canada News CBC News
    A Calgary woman who came to visit her family in Manitoba this summer says she was shocked by the racist verbal attack she endured when she asked a stranger for directions. In an exchange Calgary teacher Kaniz Fatima captured on video, a man who described himself as a "Nazi" told her to take off her "head towel off" because it "supports Muslims. Source
  • U.S. won't stand by as Venezuela crumbles, VP Pence says

    World News CBC News
    U.S. Vice-President Mike Pence addressed a sympathetic crowd of Venezuelans in South Florida and pledged the U.S. will use its economic and diplomatic power to push for free elections. Pence spoke at a church in the city of Doral, the exile enclave, to a crowd of about 300. Source
  • Baby found dead in car parked in P&G employee lot in Ohio

    World News Toronto Sun
    MASON, Ohio — A baby girl has been found dead in a car parked in a Procter & Gamble employee parking lot in Ohio. The chief investigator for the Warren County Coroner’s Office says the 15-month-old was found around 5 p.m. Source
  • Baby dies after mother leaves her in vehicle outside workplace

    World News CTV News
    MASON, Ohio -- A baby girl who was found dead in a car parked in a Procter & Gamble employee parking lot in Ohio was left there by her mother while she was at work, authorities said Wednesday night. Source
  • Accused Yahoo hacker pleads not guilty in U.S. court, lawyer says

    Canada News CTV News
    SAN FRANCISCO -- A lawyer of a Canadian man accused in a massive hack of Yahoo emails says his client has pleaded not guilty to all charges against him in a San Francisco courtroom on Wednesday. Source
  • Alleged Yahoo hacker Karim Baratov pleads not guilty in San Fran court

    World News Toronto Sun
    Alleged Yahoo hacker Karim Baratov pleaded not guilty to all charges Wednesday in a San Francisco courtroom, according to multiple reports. The 22-year-old Kazakhstan-born Canadian from Ancaster, Ont., is facing 11 charges in the United States, including conspiracy to commit wire fraud and conspiracy to commit computer fraud and abuse. Source