Lac-Megantic settlement fund, payments to be delivered next month

PORTLAND, Maine -- A settlement fund for victims of the Canadian oil train disaster that killed 47 people remains on track, and payments to settle wrongful death claims will be delivered next month, a U.S.

See Full Article

bankruptcy trustee said.

With all approvals in place, settlement fund participants are wiring payments in a process that will be completed by Dec. 21, said Robert Keach, the court-appointed bankruptcy trustee in Portland. From there, the money will be transferred to a Canadian monitor and a trustee for wrongful death claims, Keach said.

The settlement fund is worth $457 million in Canadian dollars. About $113 million of it will go to settle wrongful death claims, and the wrongful death trustee will begin distributing those checks by the end of January, Keach said.

"No amount of money is ever going to make up for what happened. But within the limits of the civil system, all you can do is provide compensation, and we were able to do that," he said.

A runaway train with 72 oil tankers derailed on July 6, 2013, in Lac-Megantic, Que, killing 47 people and causing raging fires that wiped out much of the downtown.

The train's operator, Maine-based Montreal, Maine & Atlantic, filed for bankruptcy, and the settlement fund is part of those bankruptcy proceedings in the U.S. and Canada.

While it may seem that the process has dragged on, the bankruptcy case was resolved quickly considering the legal complexities and the fact that parties are located on both sides of the border.

"You're always humbled by the fact that this started with an unspeakable tragedy, and the effects of that are not going to go away when the case ends," Keach said.

But the settlement doesn't mark the end.

Canadian Pacific is the only party with potential liability to decline to contribute to the settlement fund, and lawsuits against the railroad are now moving forward in several jurisdictions.

Canadian Pacific contended it bore no responsibility since the train that derailed had a Montreal, Maine & Atlantic locomotive and crew and was operating on MM&A rail. But Keach had argued Canadian Pacific failed to properly classify the crude oil, which came from Bakken region and was as volatile as gasoline.

There's also a separate criminal case pending against several workers who are charged with criminal negligence causing death.

As for the railroad, the former MM&A track that passes through Lac Megantic is now new ownership. Central Maine & Quebec Railway has left the door open for oil shipments to resume but has said there will be no oil tankers without a public meeting in Lac Megantic.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Police to update case of couple accused of bilking homeless man of GoFundMe money

    World News CBC News
    A New Jersey prosecutor says he will announce developments in a criminal investigation of a couple that raised $400,000 US for a homeless man they said helped them with a disabled car. Burlington County prosecutor Scott Coffina has scheduled a news conference for Thursday afternoon. Source
  • 'This did not need to happen': No arrests in alleged triple homicide

    Canada News CTV News
    The brother of one of three people found dead in southern Ontario earlier this month fought back tears Thursday as he urged anybody with information that might help investigators to come forward. “Please, anybody – somebody knows something,” Trevor Miller said. Source
  • Quebec judge says class action lawsuit over McDonald's Happy Meal toys can go ahead

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- A judge has authorized a lawsuit to proceed against McDonald's Canada over the marketing of Happy Meals to Quebec children. Montreal lawyer Joey Zurkan sought authorization for a class action lawsuit, arguing promotion of the popular meals constitutes illegal advertising to children. Source
  • Prosecutor to discuss pair who raised $400K for homeless man

    World News CTV News
    MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. -- A New Jersey prosecutor says he will announce developments in a criminal investigation of a couple that raised US$400,000 for a homeless man they said helped them with a disabled car. Source
  • Kremlin critic Navalny was political prisoner, says European court

    World News CBC News
    The European Court of Human Rights ruled on Thursday that Russia's repeated arrests and detention of opposition leader Alexei Navalny were politically motivated and breached his human rights, a decision certain to displease the Kremlin. The court, based in Strasbourg, said Navalny had been subject to seven such arrests in 2012 and in 2014 and that at least two of those arrests had been designed to suppress political pluralism. Source
  • Homeowner digs in after neighbours say he can't build the house he wants

    Canada News CTV News
    Neighbours often come together to help each other out, but residents of one street in Ottawa are teaming up to stop one of their own from getting his wish.Read more on this story from CTV Ottawa Hassan Moghadam bought a property in the city’s Glebe neighbourhood. Source
  • After arrest, Michael Avenatti denies L.A. domestic violence

    World News CTV News
    LOS ANGELES - Stormy Daniels' lawyer Michael Avenatti denies allegations of domestic violence. Avenatti was arrested Wednesday near his skyscraper apartment in a ritzy area of Los Angeles. Police won't release details but say the alleged victim had visible injuries. Source
  • Newfoundland woman's search for missing relatives in California comes to difficult end

    Canada News CTV News
    LEWISPORTE, N.L. -- A Newfoundland woman who launched a desperate bid to find family members missing thousands of kilometres away in a fire-ravaged California town says the search has come to a difficult end. Megan Janes says her aunt and uncle, Paradise residents Paula and Randy Dodge, are no longer missing but also "no longer with us. Source
  • German tourist shot in head near Calgary still requires 24/7 care

    World News CBC News
    A German tourist, who visited Alberta to celebrate his 60th birthday, still requires 24/7 care and likely will never work again, says the Honorary German Consulate in Calgary. Horst Stewin, 60, was randomly shot in the head on an Alberta highway this summer. Source
  • School children among 40 injured in head-on crash of buses

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN -- Police say 40 adults and children have been injured, five of them "very seriously," in a head-on collision involving two public buses in southern Germany. A spokesman for Bavarian police said the people injured in the Thursday crash outside Nuremberg included school children, but he couldn't immediately say how many. Source