Herald editor says steps were taken to remove contentious 'Scud Stud' article

CALGARY -- The editor of the Calgary Herald testified Thursday that steps were taken to remove from the web a contentious article that led to a lawsuit by former television journalist Arthur Kent.

See Full Article

Lorne Motley said the Herald's parent company, Postmedia, attempted to suppress the 2008 column written by Don Martin on its websites as well as in its Infomart archives after Kent filed his suit and demanded the article be taken down.

"The story should be very difficult to search or call up," Motley told a defamation trial Thursday. "You really shouldn't see anything on Infomart. There would be a notation saying why it's being restricted."

"Online you would not be able to find it."

Court has already heard that the article suddenly re-emerged in 2012 on the Ottawa Citizen's home page, as well as on websites of other papers across the Postmedia network.

Kent described it as a "Lazarus article." He testified that he complained to an editor at the Citizen, who agreed to take it down, but the column was resurrected within a day.

Motley acknowledged that had happened.

"The article was dealt with by employees who did not know the litigation that was ongoing between the parties. When those familiar with the litigation became familiar over what happened, there was a decision to unsuppress the column," Motley said.

Kent's lawyer, Kent Jesse, argued that the reposting was an effort to put pressure on Kent to move the lawsuit along. He pointed to earlier Motley testimony which said Postmedia had tendered an offer to Kent.

"I have a very difficult time answering that question because I don't know the answer. But I also know that I am not to say anything about that in this court, so you're putting me in an awkward position," Motley replied.

Kent, who was nicknamed the "Scud Stud" for his reporting on the Gulf War for NBC, is suing Postmedia, the National Post and Martin for the piece that referred to Kent as a "dud" while he was campaigning for a seat in the Alberta legislature.

The piece portrayed him as an out-of-control star candidate facing a revolt from his election team.

Jesse questioned whether all versions of the Martin article had been suppressed by Postmedia. He said there were several versions ranging in length from 722 words to 778 and all had different ID numbers.

"I would suggest to you that this demonstrates there were at least six versions of the Martin article that were posted or available on the media defendants' websites," said Jesse.

Motley replied that there were only two versions -- the one that was printed in the Calgary Herald and the other that was carried by the National Post.

"The National Post removed some wording of what they published in print," Motley said. "They are the same article. It is the same story."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Ontario COVID-19 quarantine screening officer charged with extortion, sexual assault

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A quarantine screening officer who allegedly demanded cash from a woman before sexually assaulting her at her home faces related charges, police said on Wednesday. The accused had been trained by the Public Health Agency of Canada as a designated screening officer under the Quarantine Act, Halton regional police said. Source
  • Arizona city becomes latest to pass hair discrimination ban

    World News CTV News
    TUCSON, ARIZ -- It is now illegal in Tucson, Arizona, to enforce dress code or grooming policies that discriminate against hair texture and hairstyles in the workplace and public schools, officials said. The Tucson City Council voted Tuesday to adopt the Create a Respectful and Open World for Natural Hair, or CROWN Act, joining multiple cities across the country in passing the ordinance, the Arizona Daily Star reported. Source
  • Former aide says Cuomo kissed her, suggested strip poker

    World News CTV News
    ALBANY, N.Y. -- A former member of Gov. Andrew Cuomo's administration who previously accused him of sexual harassment offered new details Wednesday, saying he once kissed her on the lips without consent after a private meeting. Source
  • U.S. report on Saudi journalist's murder expected 'soon': White House

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON, UNITED STATES -- A U.S. intelligence report on the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul will be out "soon," the White House said Wednesday. Press Secretary Jen Psaki said that President Joe Biden was also "soon" due to speak with Saudi Arabia's King Salman. Source
  • 4-year-old Sask. girl takes sled ride with pet chicken

    Canada News CBC News
    Tenille Poole has no idea where her daughter got the notion to slide down a hill with her pet chicken, Chickyboo. This past weekend, four-year-old Lennon Poole got out her blue plastic saucer sled, grabbed her feathered friend and headed for the snow. Source
  • Being Black on campus: Why students, staff and faculty say universities are failing them

    Canada News CBC News
    A law student at the University of Windsor says he's come face-to-face with what it means to be Black on campus in Canada, and the reality of what that means scares him. "I started seeing in real time what anti-Black racism can do," Jordan Afolabi told The Fifth Estate. Source
  • Drunk driver Marco Muzzo's wish to live near deadly crash site shows lack of victim empathy: parole board

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Convicted drunk driver Marco Muzzo has expressed a wish to move back to the area where the crash that killed four members of the same family occurred nearly six years ago, despite his parole conditions specifically restricting him from doing so. Source
  • PBO says mixed frigate fleet and alternate designs offer cheaper options to navy program

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada's budget watchdog predicts construction of the navy's new frigate fleet could cost at least $77.3 billion — a number that could rise even higher if the frequently-delayed program faces any more setbacks. Yves Giroux, the parliamentary budget officer [PBO], said the overall price tag for building 15 Canadian Surface Combatants could hit $82.1 billion in the event the program is delayed by as much as two years. Source
  • Excessive isolation in Canada's prisons amounts to torture, criminologists report

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- A new report says too many federal inmates in isolation aren't getting a few hours a day out of their cells, pushing them into territory that could be described as inhuman treatment or even torture. Source
  • Amnesty International revokes Kremlin critic Navalny's 'prisoner of conscience' status

    World News CTV News
    MOSCOW -- Amnesty International no longer considers jailed Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny a "prisoner of conscience" due to past comments he made that qualify as advocacy of hatred, the group said. Amnesty, however, still believes that Navalny should be freed from jail, that he has committed no crime and that he is being persecuted for his campaigning and outspoken criticism of President Vladimir Putin and his government, it said. Source