No reason to nix school trips abroad over safety concerns, Goodale says

EDMONTON -- Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says he knows of no reason why school boards should cancel international student trips over terrorism fears, but he says the decision is ultimately up to educators.

See Full Article

Goodale suggests school boards should consult with RCMP and other federal authorities if they are concerned.

He was responding Thursday to questions about schools boards that have cancelled trips following recent terror attacks in Paris and California.

"To the best of my knowledge at this moment, there is nothing that would particularly provoke that kind of a response, but it will be up to school boards and so forth to make their own decisions in these matters," Goodale said in Ottawa.

"What terrorists are trying to do is destroy our way of life, and we must be very clear that we're not going to give in to that kind of abuse and threat," he said. "At the same time, you have to behave prudently."

This week three school districts in Alberta suspended international student trips for the remainder of the 2015-2016 school year over safety concerns.

The Black Gold Regional Division south of Edmonton said it made the decision after conferring with parents.

Johnette Lemke, chairwoman of the division's board, said the safety of students and staff cannot be put at risk.

"We are aware that some students and parents may be disappointed with this decision," Lemke said in a notice posted on the division's website.

"We had to consider several factors but, first and foremost, student and staff safety needed to be our No. 1 priority."

The Black Gold division south of Edmonton has about 10,500 students enrolled in 30 schools.

The board said it came to its decision after looking at the results of a survey.

Of the 755 people who responded, 23 per cent supported suspending all international travel, according to the board's website.

Another 57 per cent favoured suspending trips to areas for which the federal government has issued advisories warning people to exercise a high degree of caution or to avoid non-essential travel.

About 20 per cent of parents opposed suspending trips.

On Monday, the Edmonton and Calgary Catholic school districts cancelled all international trips for the rest of the school year over safety concerns.

The Edmonton public board said that, after consulting parents, it will make decisions about international trips on a case-by-case basis.

"Edmonton Public knows field trips involving travel provide invaluable learning and life experiences," Supt. Darrel Robertson said Thursday.

"Recent world events mean it's prudent for us to exercise a higher degree of scrutiny and seek a balance between what's educational and what's safe."

He said he reserves the right to cancel a field trip at any time.

The Calgary public board has put such trips on hold and is expected to make a decision soon on whether to cancel them.

The Alberta School Boards' Insurance Exchange sent out a bulletin last month that strongly recommended school districts review international travel plans.

The bulletin said terrorist attacks are not new, but seem to be growing in historic and tourist destinations with more loss of life and destruction.

The insurance exchange noted that the Islamic State's aggressive disregard for all life makes it very dangerous and volatile.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Why is #AllCountriesMatter trending on Twitter on July Fourth?

    World News CTV News
    TORONTO -- America wasn’t the only country being celebrated on the Fourth of July as people around the world took to Twitter on Saturday morning to share photos of their own homelands with the hashtag #AllCountriesMatter. Source
  • P.E.I. has 3 new COVID-19 cases, 1 tied to long-term care home

    Canada News CBC News
    Prince Edward Island's Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Heather Morrison says the province has three new cases of COVID-19. One is a man in his 50s, and two people are in their 20s, she said at an unscheduled briefing in Charlottetown today. Source
  • Search resumes for boy, 9, missing in Winnipeg's Red River since Friday afternoon

    Canada News CBC News
    Search crews are back on the Red River near Winnipeg's Louise Bridge today to resume the search for a nine-year-old boy who went missing Friday afternoon after ending up in the water. Darryl Contois was one of the people who came out Saturday to help hunt for Darius Bezecki, after the initial search had to be called off at sunset on Friday. Source
  • P.E.I. reports three new cases of COVID-19; first cases in over two months

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Prince Edward Island is reporting three new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday. These are the first cases reported on the island since April 28. “This is disappointing news, but we have said consistently that we need to be prepared for more cases, and we are,” said Prince Edward Island’s Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Source
  • An Atlanta cyclist helped apprehend a murder suspect by lending an officer his wheels

    World News CTV News
    A cyclist assisted Atlanta police in the capture of a murder suspect by loaning an officer his bike for the chase. On Tuesday, officers were canvassing an area in the city's Old Fourth Ward where a fatal shooting occurred when they spotted the suspect, according to a news release from the Atlanta Police Department. Source
  • 317 COVID-19 investigations on Alberta First Nation amid jump in cases

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- A First Nation east of the city of Calgary has ordered a curfew to be put in place as a result of a spike in suspected COVID-19 cases. Chief Ouray Crowfoot of the Siksika First Nation made the announcement Friday following a meeting with his council members about the outbreak. Source
  • Halifax police investigate alleged mistreatment of dog after video circulates online

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Halifax Regional Police are investigating after a video posted online allegedly shows the mistreatment of a dog in Halifax on Canada Day. At 5:30 p.m., police responded to the 600 block of Windmill Road in Dartmouth with reports of a physical altercation happening between four adults. Source
  • Quebec reports over 100 new COVID-19 cases for the first time in two weeks

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebec public health authorities reported 102 new COVID-19 cases Saturday and six more deaths due to the virus. It is the highest number of new daily cases since June 19 when 133 cases were reported. Source
  • Fourth person dies after tractor accident in rural Quebec

    Canada News CBC News
    A fourth person has died following a tractor accident in Quebec earlier this week, provincial police said. One of the two adults who had been in critical condition after the accident died Friday night. Three children, all under the age of five, also died after they fell out of the front bucket of the tractor and were struck on Wednesday. Source
  • China downplays potential new swine flu pandemic

    World News CTV News
    China played down the threat of a new swine flu strain with pandemic potential that researchers discovered in pigs, saying the study is "not representative." The deadly COVID-19 pandemic, which has now infected more than 10 million people worldwide, first emerged in China and is thought to have originated in bats and jumped to humans through an unknown intermediary animal. Source