New MLS labour pact with players a 'done deal'

WASHINGTON -

Major League Soccer and the union representing its players resumed labour talks on Wednesday with hopes of reaching a last-minute deal on a new collective bargaining agreement and avoiding a work stoppage.

See Full Article

With the 20th MLS season scheduled to open on Friday, the negotiations are expected to go down to the wire on Wednesday as the sides seek to craft a new five-year deal to replace the previous agreement which expired on Jan. 31.

The players union (MLSPU) and representatives from the league and its clubs were locked in talks late on Tuesday at the Washington offices of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation but no deal was reached.

The main sticking point in the talks appears to be the players' demand for the introduction of free agency. Players have threatened to strike if their hopes are not met.

"They're locked in a room trying to figure out a new collective bargaining agreement," Eric Shanks, president of Fox Sports Media Group, an MLS broadcast partner, said at the Sports Business Summit in New York City on Wednesday.

"We get updates as frequently as they can get out of the room. I don't think there's any real news except that there's no deal - yet."

ESPN reported that there had been some movement towards an agreement on Tuesday with MLS offering free agency to players who are at least 28-years-old with eight years in the league.

Neither the union nor the league would comment.

The defending champion LA Galaxy are scheduled to open the season on Friday against the visiting Chicago Fire. With Chicago due to depart for that game on Wednesday, the pressure is on MLS and the union to avoid a disruption to season.

Among the scheduled games for Sunday, when the season begins in earnest, two MLS teams will make their debuts as New York City FC travel to Orlando City, who have sold 60,000 tickets for the clash at the Citrus Bowl.

"We're preparing as if we're kicking off at 5 p.m. Sunday," Orlando's English coach Adrian Heath told the Orlando Sentinel.

D.C United were due to face Costa Rican team Alajuelense later on Wednesday in the CONCACAF Champions League quarter-finals and it was not clear if that game would be affected by any possible work stoppage.



Advertisements

Latest Soccer News

  • We put our finger on the Jozy Altidore bird-flipper

    Soccer Toronto Sun
    Imagine sitting soaked in another man’s urine for close to an hour. Toronto FC’s Jozy Altidore — and maybe a few prisoners of war — have suffered though just that. Source
  • Eto'o collects award for stance against racism

    Soccer Toronto Sun
    LONDON - Former Chelsea striker Samuel Eto'o called for racist soccer fans to feel the full weight of the law as he returned to London on Monday to collect an award for his stance against intolerance. Source
  • Top 5 things we learned from TFC's win

    Soccer Toronto Sun
    TFC finally has a true No. 9 Remember Gilberto? Toronto FC supporters aren’t talking about, or missing him anymore. The Reds thought they had a true No. Source
  • Sexist slur printed on soccer jersey prompts apology

    Soccer Toronto Sun
    JAKARTA – An Indonesian sports apparel manufacturer apologized on Sunday after coming under attack for printing washing instructions deemed sexist on the shirt of a local top flight soccer club. Source
  • TFC looks strong in winning opener in Vancouver

    Soccer Toronto Sun
    VANCOUVER - The Reds have been here before. Unbeaten. Top of the Eastern Conference table. Hope beginning to seep through endless overcast clouds of uncertainty. Source
  • Aston Villa hero 'bitten' after FA Cup win over West Brom

    Soccer Toronto Sun
    LONDON - Aston Villa sank West Bromwich Albion 2-0 to become the first team to march into the FA Cup semifinals Saturday but the win was marred by chaotic crowd scenes with goalscorer Fabian Delph revealing he was bitten. Source
  • Toronto FC set to open anticipated ninth season

    Soccer Toronto Sun
    VANCOUVER - Northern Nightmare, El Toro Loco and Grave Digger owned BC Place last week. A fourth monster truck, Maximum Destruction, was more appropriately named considering the pitch quality here in Whitecaps land. Source
  • TFC ready for opener in Vancouver

    Soccer Toronto Sun
    VANCOUVER - Northern Nightmare, El Toro Loco and Grave Digger owned BC Place last week. A fourth monster truck, Maximum Destruction, was more appropriately named considering the pitch quality here in Whitecaps land. Source
  • Larson's TFC and MLS 2015 preview

    Soccer Toronto Sun
    VANCOUVER - A few minutes of reflection and you realize how pitiful Toronto FC was two years ago when it opened the season against the Vancouver Whitecaps here in British Columbia. Source
  • 'Another level of expectation' for Toronto FC

    Soccer Toronto Sun
    A few minutes of reflection and you realize how pitiful Toronto FC was two years ago when it opened the season against the Vancouver Whitecaps here in British Columbia. Source