No criminal charges to be filed against Kurt Busch

No criminal charges will be filed against suspended NASCAR driver Kurt Busch in a domestic abuse case involving his former girlfriend, prosecutors in Delaware said on Thursday.

See Full Article

Patricia Driscoll said Busch grabbed her by the neck inside his motor home at Dover International Speedway in Delaware on Sept. 26 and repeatedly slammed her head against a wall.

Bush, the 2004 Sprint Cup champion currently on an indefinite suspension by NASCAR over the incident, admits to cupping Driscoll's cheeks but said he never hit her head.

"It is determined that the admissible evidence and available witnesses would likely be insufficient to meet the burden of establishing beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. Busch committed a crime," the Delaware Department of Justice said in a statement.

Busch, 36, has portrayed Driscoll, 37, as seeking revenge after he tried to end their relationship.

Kent County (Delaware) Court Commissioner David Jones ruled last month in favor of Driscoll's request for a no-contact order, saying Busch had likely physically abused Driscoll.

The ruling prompted NASCAR to suspend Busch and forced the mercurial driver known as The Outlaw to miss the Daytona 500, the premier event on the schedule.

He appealed the suspension on Feb. 21 -- the day after the sanction was announced and the day before the Daytona 500 - but the bid was denied. Earlier this week, NASCAR said Busch had formally accepted its terms to be eligible for reinstatement.

Regan Smith has filled in for Busch as driver of the Stewart-Haas Racing No. 41 Chevrolet during the first two Sprint Cup races of the season.

Smith drove to a 16th-place finish in the season-opening Daytona 500 and a 17th-place finish Sunday at Atlanta Motor Speedway. He will drive for Bush this weekend in Las Vegas.

Neither Busch, Driscoll, nor NASCAR representatives were immediately available for comment.



Advertisements

Latest Motorsports News

  • NASCAR's new aero package eliminating competition

    Racing Toronto Sun
    When NASCAR bosses made the decision after last season to make some adjustments in both the horsepower and aero package on its Generation Six Sprint Cup cars it was hoped it would create better and safer racing. Source
  • Vickers set for another comeback

    Racing Toronto Sun
    TORONTO - Brian Vickers has completed a full NASCAR Sprint Cup season only twice in the past five years since being diagnosed with blood clots and heart issues in 2010. Source
  • Time for Ryan Newman to get a Sprint Cup win

    Racing Toronto Sun
    Last season Ryan Newman came within one lap of winning his first NASCAR Sprint Cup championship in his first season driving the No. Source
  • Fernando Alonso thought he was a teen when he woke after F1 test crash

    Racing Toronto Sun
    Formula One race ace Fernando Alonso woke up in hospital believing it was 1995 after his crash in Spain last month. The McLaren driver was testing his car at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya when he lost control of the high-powered vehicle and crashed into a wall. Source
  • Court ruling paves way for Kurt Busch's potential return

    Racing Toronto Sun
    This is what we know so far in the Kurt Busch case: On Thursday, the Delaware Department of Justice ruled it believes it had “insufficient” evidence that Busch grabbed ex-girlfriend Patricia Driscoll by the neck and bashed her head against the wall of his motorhome last September at Dover International Speedway. Source
  • No criminal charges to be filed against Kurt Busch

    Racing Toronto Sun
    No criminal charges will be filed against suspended NASCAR driver Kurt Busch in a domestic abuse case involving his former girlfriend, prosecutors in Delaware said on Thursday. Source
  • McLaren says Alonso is OK, but he won’t be racing in the Australian Grand Prix

    Racing Toronto Sun
    TORONTO - McLaren’s Formula 1 team did its best on Tuesday to sugar coat the seriousness of Fernando Alonso’s concussion suffered Feb. Source
  • Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix

    Racing Toronto Sun
    LONDON - Fernando Alonso will miss next week's season-opening Australian Formula One Grand Prix on doctors' advice after a heavy crash in testing, the Spaniard's McLaren team said on Tuesday. Source
  • Time to reduce length of Sprint Cup races

    Racing Toronto Sun
    If truth be known, the tall foreheads who run NASCAR’s on-track product would prefer to have only one 500 mile on the 36-race schedule — the Daytona 500. Source
  • Logano’s win shows he’s the real deal

    Racing Toronto Sun
    TORONTO - Joey Logano didn’t just win the NASCAR Sprint Cup season opening Daytona 500 last Sunday — he won over a whole lot of race fans who might have thought last season’s success was a fluke. Source