Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix

LONDON -

Fernando Alonso will miss next week's season-opening Australian Formula One Grand Prix on doctors' advice after a heavy crash in testing, the Spaniard's McLaren team said on Tuesday.

See Full Article

"Fernando has understood and accepted that advice, and the two McLaren-Honda cars will therefore be driven in Australia by Fernando's teammate Jenson Button and the team's test and reserve driver Kevin Magnussen," they said in a statement.

Australia would have marked a new start for Alonso at McLaren, who are also embarking on a new engine partnership with Honda, after five years at Ferrari.

However, the Spaniard spent three nights in hospital last week after losing control and hitting the wall in testing in Barcelona on Feb. 22.

McLaren said the 33-year-old had undergone more tests on Monday evening and been given the all-clear.

"However, Fernando's doctors have recommended to him that...for the time being he should seek to limit as far as is possible any environmental risk factors that could potentially result in his sustaining another concussion so soon after his previous one," they added.

"In order to limit those environmental risk factors, specifically, his doctors have advised that he should not compete in the imminent Australian Grand Prix meeting."

First practice for the March 15 race in Melbourne starts on Friday, March 13.

Denmark's Magnussen raced for McLaren last season, finishing second in Australia after local hero Daniel Ricciardo was disqualified for Red Bull.

The chances of him returning to the podium look remote this time around, with McLaren struggling in testing to get laps under their belt due to persistent troubles with the new V6 turbo hybrid engine.

Alonso has not missed a race since the 2005 U.S. Grand Prix, which was boycotted for safety reasons by drivers whose cars were equipped with Michelin tires after problems emerged in practice.

McLaren said the doctors had recognized that the double world champion felt fit and well, and considered himself ready to race.

"They are comfortable with the fact that he has already recommenced physical training, with a view to preparing for a return to the cockpit of his McLaren-Honda car for the Malaysian Grand Prix meeting on March 27th, 28th and 29th," the team said.

"Indeed, his doctors are supportive of that ambition, satisfied as they are that he sustained no damage whatsoever during his testing accident."



Advertisements

Latest Motorsports News

  • NASCAR's new aero package eliminating competition

    Racing Toronto Sun
    When NASCAR bosses made the decision after last season to make some adjustments in both the horsepower and aero package on its Generation Six Sprint Cup cars it was hoped it would create better and safer racing. Source
  • Vickers set for another comeback

    Racing Toronto Sun
    TORONTO - Brian Vickers has completed a full NASCAR Sprint Cup season only twice in the past five years since being diagnosed with blood clots and heart issues in 2010. Source
  • Time for Ryan Newman to get a Sprint Cup win

    Racing Toronto Sun
    Last season Ryan Newman came within one lap of winning his first NASCAR Sprint Cup championship in his first season driving the No. Source
  • Fernando Alonso thought he was a teen when he woke after F1 test crash

    Racing Toronto Sun
    Formula One race ace Fernando Alonso woke up in hospital believing it was 1995 after his crash in Spain last month. The McLaren driver was testing his car at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya when he lost control of the high-powered vehicle and crashed into a wall. Source
  • Court ruling paves way for Kurt Busch's potential return

    Racing Toronto Sun
    This is what we know so far in the Kurt Busch case: On Thursday, the Delaware Department of Justice ruled it believes it had “insufficient” evidence that Busch grabbed ex-girlfriend Patricia Driscoll by the neck and bashed her head against the wall of his motorhome last September at Dover International Speedway. Source
  • No criminal charges to be filed against Kurt Busch

    Racing Toronto Sun
    No criminal charges will be filed against suspended NASCAR driver Kurt Busch in a domestic abuse case involving his former girlfriend, prosecutors in Delaware said on Thursday. Source
  • McLaren says Alonso is OK, but he won’t be racing in the Australian Grand Prix

    Racing Toronto Sun
    TORONTO - McLaren’s Formula 1 team did its best on Tuesday to sugar coat the seriousness of Fernando Alonso’s concussion suffered Feb. Source
  • Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix

    Racing Toronto Sun
    LONDON - Fernando Alonso will miss next week's season-opening Australian Formula One Grand Prix on doctors' advice after a heavy crash in testing, the Spaniard's McLaren team said on Tuesday. Source
  • Time to reduce length of Sprint Cup races

    Racing Toronto Sun
    If truth be known, the tall foreheads who run NASCAR’s on-track product would prefer to have only one 500 mile on the 36-race schedule — the Daytona 500. Source
  • Logano’s win shows he’s the real deal

    Racing Toronto Sun
    TORONTO - Joey Logano didn’t just win the NASCAR Sprint Cup season opening Daytona 500 last Sunday — he won over a whole lot of race fans who might have thought last season’s success was a fluke. Source