'Downton Abbey' ends but movie hopes still alive

LOS ANGELES -- "Downton Abbey," the TV series, is over, leaving us with a hollow ache that nothing can relieve.

See Full Article

Nothing but "Downton Abbey," the film, which remains under serious consideration by series creator Julian Fellowes and executive producer Gareth Neame.

"Julian and I would like to make the movie. We're having detailed thinking about it all," Neame said. "But there's a lot to be worked out. Turning a TV show into a movie is not straightforward, it doesn't happen very often and it's not uncomplicated."

Reassembling the large ensemble cast, many of whom have moved on to other projects, is one challenge.

"That can sometimes take a while. But in principle, those of us who have given many years of our lives over to the show would be keen to do it if we could make it work," Neame said.

Fellowes, who wrote every episode of the hit PBS drama in its six seasons, would have to carve time out of his schedule. He's busy now with "The Gilded Age," NBC's series about well-heeled 19th-century Americans that's expected to debut in 2017.

Neame, as managing director of NBC Universal-owned British production company Carnival Films, has responsibilities including the TV series "The Last Kingdom."

Then there's the challenge of how to revisit the "Downton" saga. For starters, Neame said, there would be no drastic fast-forward in the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family and those who serve them. The series ended Sunday with the arrival of 1926.

"If you jump 20 years and you have the children as adults, the fans are going to watch new actors and Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary) is going to have to wear a grey wig," Neame said. "That's too far removed from what people love. So we have to give them the same characters but in a new scenario, a fresh kind of story."

Kevin Doyle, who played butler-turned-teacher Mr. Molesley, said he's discussed the possibility of a film with other cast members and found "a sort of general acceptance that it might well get made."

But, he added, "I'm not convinced it's necessary. I think the story has kind of been told. I'm not sure what more we could tell or should tell about those characters."

A movie based on a character-driven TV drama, period or not, is a true rarity. Shows that have jumped to the big screen, with mixed success, are either comedies ("Entourage," "Sex and the City"), police or action dramas ("The Untouchables," the "Mission: Impossible" franchise) or in the sci-fi genre ("The X-Files," "Star Trek").

If a "Downton Abbey" film does come to pass, Neame said, it would probably happen in the next couple of years.

So what to do while we wait and hope? Watch every "Downton" episode again, of course. And again.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Tale about the doomed great auk wins $30,000 children's book prize

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO - A tale about a resourceful bird facing great adversity has won the $30,000 TD Canadian Children's Literature Award. Jan Thornhill's book "The Tragic Tale of the Great Auk" won for its story about the doomed creature, which became extinct in 1844. Source
  • David Cassidy, former Partridge Family teen actor, dead at 67

    Entertainment CBC News
    David Cassidy, the teen and pre-teen idol who starred in the 1970s sitcom The Partridge Family and sold millions of records as the musical group's lead singer, died Tuesday at age 67. Cassidy, who announced earlier this year that he had been diagnosed with dementia, died surrounded by his family, a family statement released by publicist JoAnn Geffen said. Source
  • David Cassidy, 'Partridge Family' star and '70s teen idol, dies at 67

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- David Cassidy, the teen and pre-teen idol who starred in the 1970s sitcom "The Partridge Family" and sold millions of records as the musical group's lead singer, died Tuesday at age 67. Source
  • Chrissy Teigen and John Legend expecting second child

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend are expanding their family. The model and the musician used social media Tuesday to announce they're expecting their second child together. Teigen posted a video on Instagram that shows the couple's daughter, Luna, with her hands on her mother's stomach. Source
  • Weinstein paid $1M to silence Italian model who accused him of groping: report

    Entertainment CBC News
    Harvey Weinstein paid $1 million US to silence an Italian model who accused him of groping her in 2015 after prosecutors decided not to charge him, and in the 1990s, his brother paid other accusers from his personal bank account, a magazine reported Tuesday. Source
  • Pixar co-founder John Lasseter steps down over 'missteps' with employees

    Entertainment CBC News
    Pixar co-founder and Walt Disney Animation chief John Lasseter is taking a six-month leave of absence citing "missteps" with employees. In a vaguely worded memo obtained by The Associated Press Tuesday, Lasseter says he knows he has made some employees feel disrespected and uncomfortable. Source
  • Pixar co-founder John Lasseter takes leave over 'missteps' with employees

    Entertainment CBC News
    Pixar co-founder and Walt Disney Animation chief John Lasseter is taking a six-month leave of absence citing "missteps" with employees. In a vaguely worded memo obtained by The Associated Press Tuesday, Lasseter says he knows he has made some employees feel disrespected and uncomfortable. Source
  • Disney Animation, Pixar chief John Lasseter taking leave

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Just days before Pixar's "Coco" is set to hit theatres, Pixar co-founder and Walt Disney Animation chief John Lasseter announced he is taking a six-month leave of absence citing "missteps" with employees. Source
  • People with facial differences see their stories reflected in Wonder

    Entertainment CBC News
    When Vanessa Wiens was just 12 years old, she was out walking her dog and someone yelled, "Hey you, ugly ... you should go kill yourself." She did contemplate suicide, being the target of cruel comments in her neighbourhood at least four times a week when she was growing up. Source
  • 'He still feels like Michael from Vancouver:' Junos tap 'guy next door' Bublé as 2018 host

    Entertainment CBC News
    After the curtain fell on the 2016 Juno Awards, producers behind the Canadian music celebration received an effusive call from a devoted fan praising the awards telecast: Michael Bublé. "He said: 'I would love to host again. Source