Austrian conductor Nikolaus Harnoncourt dies at 86

VIENNA -- Austrian conductor Nikolaus Harnoncourt, whose career first focused on a search for authenticity in Baroque and other old music and later expanded into masterful interpretations across the classical spectrum, has died.

See Full Article

He was 86.

His death Saturday was announced by his wife, Alice Harnoncourt, who said he "passed away peacefully, surrounded by his family." No cause of death was given.

One of the last great postwar Austrian conductors, alongside Herbert von Karajan, Karl Boehm and Carlos Kleiber, Nikolaus Harnoncourt's concern for historical detail was legendary. He thought of his conducting as alive and romantic, not a relic of history.

His recording of Bach's St. Matthew Passion won a Grammy Award in 2001, one of many awards recognizing his unrelenting drive for perfection that put him on the level of other great postwar Austrian conductors Herbert von Karajan, Karl Boehm and Carlos Kleiber.

While remaining true to his love of Haydn, Mozart and their predecessors, all of whose works laid the foundation for later masters of classical music, he later expanded his repertoire to include 19th-century opera favourites such as Verdi's "Aida" and individually accented interpretations of works by masters as varied as Beethoven, Schubert and Richard Strauss. Already in 1999, Switzerland's Neue Zuercher Zeitung labeled him "the protagonist of the new expressionism."

As a cellist in 1953, he founded the Concentus Musicus Wien, a platform for his work on Renaissance and baroque music that uses period instruments and will remain his calling card. Early performances were mostly private and critics unused to the sounds of the original instruments used by the ensemble were initially hostile.

But the troupe's reputation grew, especially after a recording of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos in 1962. The repertoire expanded into Monteverdi works. First tours of the United States and England came in 1966, and of Germany two years later.

Leaving his cello behind, Harnoncourt made his debut at the conductor's rostrum in 1972 with Monteverdi's "Il ritorno d'Ulisse in patria" at the Piccola Scala in Milan.

A few years later, his breakthrough was complete after teaming up with French director Jean-Pierre Ponelle on a celebrated cycle of Monteverdi operas performed at the Zurich Opera House on period instruments, starting with "L'Orfeo" in 1976.

Harnoncourt is survived by his wife, three sons and a daughter. Funeral arrangements weren't immediately announced.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Adam Sandler continues as Netflix's biggest star

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Netflix is doubling down on Adam Sandler. The streaming giant has extended its deal with the comedian for four more feature films. As part of a previous four-movie deal, Sandler has already produced and starred in two films for Netflix. Source
  • Public memorial service to honour Carrie Fisher, Debbie Reynolds

    Entertainment CBC News
    Stars and fans will gather Saturday for a public memorial to honour late actresses Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher nearly three months after their deaths. The ceremony honouring the lives of the mother-daughter duo will be held at Forest Lawn-Hollywood Hills, the storied cemetery that is their final resting place. Source
  • Harrison Ford says he was 'distracted' when he flew over airliner

    Entertainment CBC News
    Actor Harrison Ford said he was distracted and concerned about turbulence from another aircraft last month when he mistakenly landed on the wrong place at a Southern California airport after flying low over an airliner with 116 people aboard, according to an audio recording released Friday. Source
  • Public memorial service to honour Fisher and Reynolds

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Stars and fans will gather Saturday for a public memorial to honour late actresses Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher nearly three months after their deaths. The ceremony honouring the lives of the mother-daughter duo will be held at Forest Lawn-Hollywood Hills, the storied cemetery that is their final resting place. Source
  • This Mississauga boxer is a champ - at film festivals

    Entertainment CBC News
    Daniel Hayes has three things on his to-do list — to become a Hollywood actor, an elite athlete and an Olympic boxer. His journey to get there is the focus of The Honey Badger, a short film that has amassed dozens of accolades, including the award for Best Documentary Short at the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards. Source
  • Ford Nation blasts Filth City star

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Pat Thornton has dealt with hecklers before — but usually in person. “This weekend was full of interesting death threats on Twitter,” says the comic actor who plays fictional crack-smoking mayor Tom Hogg in Filth City, the crime comedy that closes out the Canadian Film Fest at the Scotia Saturday. Source
  • So-called 'Rob Ford movie' not a documentary

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    As I’ve been told by many a filmmaker, usually defensively, “it’s not meant to be a documentary.” That’s Filth City, the so-called “Rob Ford movie” that closes the Canadian Film Fest Saturday at the Scotiabank Theatre. A first feature by director Andy King, it’s an over-the-top grindhouse crime-comedy that, between scenes, even copies the “scratched film” gimmick of the Tarantino/Rodriguez co-feature Grindhouse. Source
  • Harrison Ford says he was distracted when he flew over plane

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Actor Harrison Ford said he was distracted and concerned about turbulence from another aircraft last month when he mistakenly landed on a taxiway at a Southern California airport after flying low over an airliner with 116 people aboard, according to an audio recording released Friday. Source
  • Shailene Woodley strikes plea deal in protest arrest case

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Actress Shailene Woodley has struck a plea deal for trespassing during a Dakota Access Pipeline protest. The Divergent star will plead guilty to one count of disorderly conduct in return for a year of unsupervised probation, according to legal documents obtained by TMZ. Source