Next Big Thing: Drake's latest find and 2 standout international acts

TORONTO -- The weekly Next Big Thing column highlights what's bubbling under the surface in entertainment with a look at rising stars in the world of music, as well as standout TV shows, movies and web series that would be a shame to overlook.

See Full Article

This week we're taking a look at three recent songs that are generating major attention online without the help of music videos.

NEW DVSN

Leave it to Drake to keep us all guessing once again.

The chart-topping Toronto rapper is notorious for building a mystery with his own album releases, but many of the young acts he finds, like the Weeknd, spend years shrouded in secrecy.

Enter Dvsn -- pronounced "division" -- the latest project being teased by producers at Drake's OVO Sound record label.

Earlier this week, OVO co-founder Noah (40) Shebib posted an image of Dvsn's logo on Instagram, sparking rumours that the R&B act has been added to their roster.

With a little detective work fans quickly discovered that Dvsn's music credits had been changed on Spotify to credit OVO Sound as the distributor.

That's been enough to get blogs talking about Dvsn's soulful sound in tracks.

Listen to "The Line."

BUZZ-WORTHY BLUES

Across the pond, Lawrence Taylor has perked up the ears of record executives with his smoky blues sound.

The Birmingham, England, singer began as an unsigned artist playing small-town gigs, but all of that changed last year when his track "Bang Bang" became an Internet sensation pushed up the Spotify viral charts across the world.

Now Taylor has a record contract and he's rolling into the South By Southwest music festival later this month to build anticipation for his debut album, expected next year.

You can hear "Bang Bang" on Taylor's debut EP.

Watch him perform the song live on the South By Southwest YouTube page.

MOME'S THE WORD

It began in the concert halls of Paris, but Jeremy Souillart sees his new project Mome going global.

The composer and producer has been generating buzz online with "Aloha," one of the first songs he's released as part of the long-term project that began to take shape last year.

Since then, he's packed his bags and taken Mome -- pronounced "mom" -- to Australia where he's writing and recording tracks from a studio built in his van.

"Aloha" features Australian singer Merryn Jeann and an unruly electronic hook that's as curious as it is catchy.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Dolores O'Riordan found second home in Ontario, called herself 'half a Canuck'

    Entertainment CTV News
    Dolores O'Riordan, the defiant voice of Irish rock band the Cranberries who died Monday at 46, found a certain solace in her second home -- a remote town in Ontario. When she wasn't performing rock anthems like "Zombie," "Linger" and "Dreams" before audiences of thousands, O'Riordan was often at her cottage north of Peterborough, Ont. Source
  • Stratford Festival received $10 million gift for Tom Patterson Theatre

    Entertainment CBC News
    The Startford Festival announced it has received a $10 million dollar gift from long time supporter Ophelia Lazaridis as part of the theatre's new $100 million dollar campaign aimed to rebuild and secure the Tom Patterson Theatre. Source
  • UKIP leader breaks up with girlfriend over racist texts

    Entertainment CBC News
    The leader of the anti-EU U.K. Independence Party says he has broken up with his girlfriend after she made racist remarks about Prince Harry's fiancée, Meghan Markle. Henry Bolton said Monday that "the romantic side" of his relationship with 25-year-old Jo Marney was over. Source
  • UKIP leader breaks up with girlfriend over racist texts about Meghan Markle

    Entertainment CBC News
    The leader of the anti-EU U.K. Independence Party says he has broken up with his girlfriend after she made racist remarks about Prince Harry's fiancée, Meghan Markle. Henry Bolton said Monday that "the romantic side" of his relationship with 25-year-old Jo Marney was over. Source
  • Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan dead at 46

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- Dolores O'Riordan, lead singer of the Cranberries who split her time between Ireland and a remote town in Ontario, has died at 46. Publicist Lindsey Holmes says O'Riordan died suddenly Monday in London, where she was recording. Source
  • 'We are crushed:' Fans, friends pay tribute to Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan

    Entertainment CBC News
    Dolores O'Riordan, lead singer of Irish band the Cranberries, has died at age 46. O'Riordan died in London, where she was recording, publicist Lindsey Holmes said. The cause of death wasn't immediately available. Holmes said the singer's family is devastated by the news. Source
  • 'I really struggled to finish:' Céline Dion apologizes to fans for cancelling 3rd Las Vegas concert this month

    Entertainment CBC News
    Céline Dion says she is "truly sorry" for cancelling another Las Vegas concert as she continues to battle throat inflammation. The Quebec singer posted on Facebook that after struggling to get through her show on Friday, her doctors told her she "absolutely" could not perform as scheduled the following night. Source
  • Celine Dion cancels third Las Vegas show as throat inflammation persists

    Entertainment CTV News
    LAS VEGAS -- Celine Dion says she is "truly sorry" for cancelling another Las Vegas concert as she continues to battle throat inflammation. The Quebec singer posted on Facebook that after struggling to get through her show on Friday, her doctors told her she "absolutely" could not perform as scheduled the following night. Source
  • Zeta-Jones says Michael Douglas is a 'Me Too' supporter

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Catherine Zeta-Jones says her husband, Michael Douglas, is "110 per cent" in support of the movement against sexual harassment. Earlier this month, Douglas issued what he called a pre-emptive denial of allegations, yet to be published, that he harassed an employee in the 1980s and damaged her career. Source
  • French star Catherine Deneuve apologizes to sexual abuse victims

    Entertainment CBC News
    Film star Catherine Deneuve has apologized to victims of "odious" acts of sexual abuse, after she signed a much-criticized letter saying men are being unfairly accused of sexual misconduct. The letter, signed by 100 French women, says the wave of accusations against powerful men since the Harvey Weinstein scandal has gone too far. Source