Montreal opera to stage Pink Floyd's 'The Wall'

The Montreal Opera will turn Pink Floyd's hit album "The Wall" into an opera, the troupe announced on Thursday together with one of the rock group's founding members.

See Full Article

The opera will debut in 2017 to mark the city's 375th anniversary, Montreal Opera representatives said at a news conference together with Pink Floyd member Roger Waters.

Waters initially dismissed the idea when first approached, he said.

"It had been my experience that experiments in collaboration between the worlds of rock and roll and the worlds of symphonic music were generally disastrous and should be embarked upon with extreme trepidation," he said. "But they were extremely persuasive."

On first hearing the music, he added: "I sat there not expecting to be moved, and I was moved. Very moved. So I approach this project with great enthusiasm."

The 1979 "concept album" explores the themes of abandonment and personal isolation in post-war Britain.

Its staging in Montreal completes a kind of full circle. Waters conceived the album while on tour in 1977, when he was frustrated with audiences and imagined building a wall between them and the stage. During a show in Montreal, he spit on a fan rushing the stage.

The music chronicles the life of a fictional character named Pink who loses his father in the Secod World War. Raised by an overprotective mother, he suffers abuse by schoolteachers and later retreats from society after the breakdown of his marriage, building a metaphorical wall around himself.

Waters last toured with "The Wall" in 2010-2013, when it earned nearly half a billion dollars.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • BET Awards sees Remy Ma beat Nicki Minaj as 90s R&B shines

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Remy Ma has ended rival Nicki Minaj’s seven-year winning streak at the 2017 BET Awards, a show highlighted by ’90s R&B and groups popular in that decade. Ma, who returned from jail in 2014, won best female hip hop artist Sunday in Los Angeles, an award Minaj has won since 2010. Source
  • The Flash actor in upcoming Spider-Man movie happy producers didn't require Latino explanation

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Actor Tony Revolori has heaped praise on the writers and producers of the new Spider-Man movie for not explaining why his character, The Flash, is Latino. The Grand Budapest Hotel star plays the speedy superhero in Spider-Man: Homecoming and still can’t believe producers Amy Pascal and Kevin Feige just let his character exist in the film. Source
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger teams with French president to troll Trump on Twitter

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Arnold Schwarzenegger allied with France’s leader Emmanuel Macron to take a swipe at U.S. President Donald Trump over climate change. Schwarzenegger and Macron teamed up to post a social media video in which they vowed to join forces to “make the planet great again”. Source
  • Chance the Rapper honoured at BET Awards

    Entertainment CTV News
    At the tender age of 24, Chance the Rapper has accepted the humanitarian award during the BET Awards on Sunday for his work in his hometown of Chicago, winning over fans for both his musical talents and his philanthropic efforts. Source
  • Remy Ma endes Nicki Minaj's winning streak at BET Awards

    Entertainment CTV News
    Remy Ma has ended rival Nicki Minaj's seven-year winning streak at the 2017 BET Awards, a show highlighted by '90s R&B and groups popular in that decade. Ma, who returned from jail in 2014, won best female hip hop artist Sunday in Los Angeles, an award Minaj has won since 2010. Source
  • One Direction star Louis Tomlinson admits he 'didn't like the idea of a One Direction hiatus'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Louis Tomlinson has revealed he was the most reluctant member of One Direction to agree to a band hiatus. The boy band opted to take a break from fans and each other at the end of 2015 and each member has now enjoyed solo success, with Louis admitting he’s still surprised he put something out without his pals. Source
  • Netflix cancels Charlize Theron's Girlboss after just one season

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Charlize Theron’s hard-hitting new Netflix series Girlboss has been cancelled after just one season. The show, inspired by Sophia Amoruso’s autobiography and starring Britt Robertson, was developed and produced by Theron through her Denver & Delilah production company. Source
  • Diane Keaton: 'I was bulimic in my 20s'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Actress Diane Keaton has revealed she secretly battled bulimia in her early 20s. Now 71, the Annie Hall star admits she even kept her eating disorder issues from her then partner Woody Allen. Keaton only got to grips with the problem after she realized she desperately needed help, and sought out counselling. Source
  • Worst-performing live-action 'Transformers' film tops box office [Photos] [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — The hulking machines of Transformers are no longer box-office behemoths in North America. But they’re still big in China. Michael Bay’s Transformers: The Last Knight, the fifth instalment in the Hasbro series, scored a franchise-low domestic debut with an estimated US$43.5 million in ticket sales over the weekend and a five-day total of $69.1 million since opening Wednesday. Source
  • One Direction's Louis Tomlinson dished to mom after losing virginity

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Louis Tomlinson was so close to his late mother that she was the first person he told about losing his virginity. The One Direction star, 25, was left devastated when he lost Johannah Deakin to cancer in December last year. Source