Madonna, Ritchie urged to resolve teen son's custody case

NEW YORK -- Madonna and Guy Ritchie should think of their 15-year-old son's best interests and quickly resolve a months-long dispute over with whom the boy will live, a state judge said in a proceeding Wednesday in Manhattan.

See Full Article

State Supreme Court Justice Deborah Kaplan implored the divorced singer and film director to settle the matter a day after their lawyers said a deal reached late Tuesday had fallen apart.

"No one is disrupting his household other than the inability of the parents to reach a resolution," Kaplan said. "If they cannot resolve this matter then eventually the court will."

Ellen Sigal, a court-appointed attorney for Rocco Ritchie, said her client has been stressed about his future since leaving his mother's worldwide tour last year to stay with Ritchie in London, where he now attends school.

"It's been a very difficult time for him," she said in court. "We hope to put an end to this as soon as possible without exposing him to more litigation, press innuendo, any of that kind of thing."

In December, Kaplan ruled that Rocco should return to his mother's custody. Records show Madonna, whose legal name is Madonna Louise Ciccone, moved for the judge to enforce that order.

On Wednesday, Kaplan said she wasn't going to remove the order but also said she wasn't planning on issuing a warrant to compel Ritchie to appear in New York.

Ritchie, who directed the 1998 thriller "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels," and Madonna divorced in New York in 2008.

Neither parent appeared in court, instead calling in from abroad. She performed Sunday in Singapore and is scheduled to perform Saturday in Auckland, New Zealand. Ritchie called in from London.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Incredibles 2 crushes animation record with $180 million US

    Entertainment CBC News
    Disney and Pixar's Incredibles 2 has broken the record for the best animated opening of all time and the biggest for a PG-rated film. Disney estimates Sunday that the film has earned $180 million US in its first weekend in theatres. Source
  • 'Incredibles 2' crushes animation record with US$180M

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- The combined powers of superheroes, the Pixar brand and a draught of family-friendly films helped "Incredibles 2" become the best animated opening of all time, the biggest PG-rated launch ever and the 8th highest film launch overall. Source
  • What we learned from Jay-Z, Beyonce album

    Entertainment CTV News
    Jay-Z and Beyonce late Saturday released "Everything is Love," a surprise album after years of speculation that they were working on a joint project. The album -- which came two years after Beyonce revealed Jay-Z's infidelity through lyrics -- again offers plenty of tidbits into the lives of music's most famous couple. Source
  • Beyonce, Jay-Z drop surprise album 'Everything Is Love'

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Jay-Z and Beyonce are keeping up a family tradition, dropping a surprise album before anyone knew it was coming. The couple released a joint album that touches on the rapper's disgust at this year's Grammy Awards and features a shout out from their daughter Blue Ivy to her siblings. Source
  • Chris Hardwick's talk show on hold amid allegations, network says

    Entertainment CBC News
    AMC Networks says Chris Hardwick's talk show is on hold and he has withdrawn as moderator of AMC and BBC America's Comic-Con panels in San Diego. The media company said that it's had a positive relationship with Hardwick but takes seriously what it calls "troubling" allegations against the host and producer. Source
  • Natalie Portman calls Harvard pal Jared Kushner 'a super-villain'

    Entertainment CBC News
    Natalie Portman says her Harvard classmate Jared Kushner has become a "super-villain." The Academy Award-winning actress said on CBS' Late Show with Stephen Colbert Thursday that there's not much funny to say about "someone you were friends with becoming a super-villain. Source
  • Canadian arts groups join call for release of Ukrainian filmmaker Oleg Sentsov

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- Two of Canada's top arts groups are calling on Russia to release an incarcerated Ukrainian filmmaker who has been on a hunger strike for 34 days demanding the release of Ukrainian prisoners in Russia. Source
  • 'There's a void I didn't know how to fill': Alessia Cara on rise to fame

    Entertainment CBC News
    Alessia Cara insists she doesn't want to sound ungrateful, but coming to terms with stardom hasn't been easy. The 21-year-old Canadian singer didn't anticipate her precipitous rise to success three years ago before it started — not the Grammy Award for best new artist, nor the two Juno Awards. Source
  • Giuliana Rancic returning to E! News as co-host

    Entertainment CBC News
    TV personality Giuliana Rancic will return to E! News this September as co-host of its nightly news program in the U.S. with Jason Kennedy, three years after leaving the gig. She will replace Maria Menounos, who left last July following surgery to remove a brain tumour. Source
  • Universal appeal: How Bao and Crazy Rich Asians are telling authentic Asian stories in Hollywood

    Entertainment CBC News
    Once Pixar green-lit Domee Shi's short film Bao, the Chinese-Canadian animator knew she had to put her team in the kitchen with her mom. She wanted everyone to get their hands into some sticky dough and learn the ins and outs of how her mom creates her perfectly pleated steamed buns. Source