Madonna, Guy Ritchie urged to resolve son's custody case

NEW YORK -- Madonna and Guy Ritchie should think of their 15-year-old son's best interests and quickly resolve a months-long dispute over with whom the boy will live, a state judge said in a proceeding Wednesday in Manhattan.

See Full Article

State Supreme Court Justice Deborah Kaplan implored the divorced singer and film director to settle the matter a day after their lawyers said a deal reached late Tuesday had fallen apart.

"No one is disrupting his household other than the inability of the parents to reach a resolution," Kaplan said. "If they cannot resolve this matter then eventually the court will."

Ellen Sigal, a court-appointed attorney for Rocco Ritchie, said her client has been stressed about his future since leaving his mother's worldwide tour last year to stay with Ritchie in London, where he now attends school.

"It's been a very difficult time for him," she said in court. "We hope to put an end to this as soon as possible without exposing him to more litigation, press innuendo, any of that kind of thing."

In December, Kaplan ruled that Rocco should return to his mother's custody. Records show Madonna, whose legal name is Madonna Louise Ciccone, moved for the judge to enforce that order.

On Wednesday, Kaplan said she wasn't going to remove the order but also said she wasn't planning on issuing a warrant to compel Ritchie to appear in New York.

Ritchie, who directed the 1998 thriller "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels," and Madonna divorced in New York in 2008.

Neither parent appeared in court, instead calling in from abroad. She performed Sunday in Singapore and is scheduled to perform Saturday in Auckland, New Zealand. Ritchie called in from London.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Bookies halt Prince Harry marriage bets, citing engagement 'to be confirmed imminently'

    Entertainment CBC News
    A major London bookmaker has suspended betting on whether Prince Harry will marry American actress Meghan Markle in 2018 amid rumours an engagement may be announced soon. Jessica Bridge of Ladbrokes said Friday that it seems an engagement announcement "is to be confirmed imminently. Source
  • Cadbury, Smirnoff pull YouTube ads over clips of scantily clad children

    Entertainment CBC News
    ?Lidl, Cadbury maker Mondelez, Diageo and other big companies have pulled advertising from YouTube after the Times newspaper found the video sharing site was showing clips of scantily clad children alongside the ads of major brands. Comments from hundreds of pedophiles were posted alongside the images, which appeared to have been uploaded by the children themselves, according to a Times investigation. Source
  • Amid royal engagement rumours, prominent bookmaker suspends betting

    Entertainment CTV News
    LONDON - A major London bookmaker has suspended betting on whether Prince Harry will marry American actress Meghan Markle next year amid rumours an engagement may be announced soon. Jessica Bridge of Ladbrokes says it seems an engagement announcement “is to be confirmed imminently. Source
  • Lawren Harris pencil sketch fetches record $161,000: Auction house

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- A Toronto auctioneer says a pencil sketch by Lawren Harris sold for $161,000 this week, a record price for a pencil sketch by the Group of Seven Artist. Consignor Canadian Fine Art says the preparatory work for Harris's famous Lake Superior sold for nearly five times its estimated sale value of between $20,000 and $30,000. Source
  • Canadian screen industry wants code of conduct on sexual harassment

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- Groups that represent actors, talent agencies, directors and other employees of Canada's film and television industry say a code of conduct will be one of several steps toward tackling sexual harassment in the industry. Source
  • Canadian screen industry wants code of conduct to deal with sexual misconduct

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- Groups that represent actors, talent agencies, directors and other employees of Canada's film and television industry say a code of conduct will be one of several steps toward tackling sexual harassment in the industry. Source
  • Movie reviews: 'Coco' celebrates the vibrancy of Day of the Dead

    Entertainment CTV News
    COCO: 4 STARS The Mexican tradition of honouring their deceased loved ones on Day of the Dead forms the backbone, both visually and emotionally, of the new Pixar film “Coco.” Miguel Rivera (Anthony Gonzalez) is a 12-year-old aspiring musician and devoted fan of the “world’s greatest musician,” the late, great Ernesto de la Cruz (Benjamin Bratt). Source
  • Canadian screen stars want code of conduct to deal with sexual harassment

    Entertainment CBC News
    Groups representing actors, directors and others in Canada's film and television industry say a code of conduct will be one of several steps toward tackling sexual harassment in the industry. More than a dozen organizations convened a closed-door meeting on Thursday in Toronto to discuss what can be done to curb the problem. Source
  • Canadian screen industry wants code of conduct to deal with sexual harassment

    Entertainment CBC News
    Groups representing actors, directors and others in Canada's film and television industry say a code of conduct will be one of several steps toward tackling sexual harassment in the industry. More than a dozen organizations convened a closed-door meeting on Thursday in Toronto to discuss what can be done to curb the problem. Source
  • Pioneering jazz singer Jon Hendricks dies at 96

    Entertainment CTV News
    TOLEDO, Ohio -- Jon Hendricks, the pioneering jazz singer and lyricist who with the trio Lambert, Hendricks & Ross popularized the "vocalese" singing style in which words were added to instrumental songs, has died. He was 96. Source