Appeals court puts Bill Cosby's criminal case on hold

Bill Cosby's criminal sex-assault case was temporarily halted days before a key hearing while a Pennsylvania appeals court considers his effort to have the case thrown out before trial.

See Full Article

The Pennsylvania Superior Court granted Cosby a postponement Tuesday while the court decides whether to hear Cosby's pretrial appeal. His preliminary hearing had been set for next week.

Cosby, 78, is accused of drugging and molesting a Temple University employee in his suburban Philadelphia home in 2004.

He said he had a promise from a former district attorney that he would never be charged over his encounter with Andrea Constand. However, a different district attorney reopened the case last year and filed charges in December, weeks before the statute of limitations expired.

The preliminary hearing to determine if probable cause exists to send the case to trial had been set for March 8. The hearing seemed likely to be postponed unless the Superior Court quickly decided to quash his appeal.

Prosecutors have argued that he does not have the right to a pretrial appeal and should instead file the usual post-trial appeal if he is convicted. A Montgomery County judge who heard two days of evidence on the issue agreed and refused to ask the appeals court to intervene. The judge, Common Pleas Judge Steven O'Neill, could end up with the case if it goes to trial.

O'Neill found no credible evidence of a binding agreement that Cosby would never be charged. The former district attorney, Bruce Castor, had testified for Cosby but acknowledged there was no written agreement forged.

Cosby is embroiled in civil litigation in several states, but the Pennsylvania case is the only one to lead to criminal charges. He has teams of lawyers for the case itself, for appellate issues and for a countersuit he filed last month against accuser Andrea Constand. He also is embroiled in defamation lawsuits with some of the dozens of women around the country who accuse him of molesting them.

Cosby has posted $1 million bail in the Pennsylvania case. He faces five to 10 years in prison if convicted of felony indecent assault.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Survivor’s Zeke: ‘I needed Will more than he needed me’

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    It’s inevitable that if you play the role of leader in the game of Survivor, you’re going to have followers, but you’re also going to have a major target on your back. Eccentric Brooklyn-based millennial Zeke Smith was aware of the risk he was taking when he signed on to be a frontrunner this season. Source
  • Dutch return looted 2nd century marble head to Italy

    Entertainment CTV News
    ROME -- Dutch police have returned to Italy a 2nd century marble head that was stolen from a famous archaeological site outside Rome and offered up for auction in Amsterdam. Italy's national police art squad says the 31-centimetre head of Roman empress Giulia Domna was worth 500,000 euros. Source
  • Cicely Tyson performs Langston Hughes at Ebony gala

    Entertainment CTV News
    BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -- Cicely Tyson performed a Langston Hughes poem as she accepted a lifetime achievement award from Ebony magazine. Adding years and grit to her voice, Tyson recited "Mother to Son" from memory, telling the audience at the magazine's annual Power 100 gala Thursday that "Life for me ain't been no crystal stair. Source
  • Country star Luke Bryan slaps heckler from stage, keeps singing

    Entertainment CTV News
    NASHVILLE -- Country star Luke Bryan took care of a heckler without skipping a beat during a concert this week by taking a swing at the man from the stage with his microphone still in hand. Source
  • Theatre director asks Putin to protect arts from pressure

    Entertainment CTV News
    MOSCOW -- U.S. President Vladimir Putin pledged Friday to protect the freedom of artistic expression in Russia, but urged artists to be careful not to offend religious believers. Putin's comments at a meeting with Russian cultural figures came amid increasing attempts by officials and conservative vigilantes to meddle in the arts sphere. Source
  • Russia's Putin warns artists against offending believers

    Entertainment CTV News
    MOSCOW -- Top Russian cultural figures urged President Vladimir Putin on Friday to protect the freedom of artistic expression -- something the Russian leader pledged to do, even as he warned artists to be careful not to offend religious believers. Source
  • Rogue One, Silence, La La Land: Eli Glasner on December buzz films

    Entertainment CBC News
    Rogue One, Silence, La La Land: Eli Glasner on December buzz films5:24 Source
  • Harry Potter play set to open on Broadway in early 2018

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Hit London play Harry Potter And The Cursed Child is getting a Broadway bump earlier than expected. Producers of the two-part play, which has lit up London’s West End, are close to completing a deal to open at the refurbished Lyric Theatre in early 2018. Source
  • That '70s Show co-stars Mila Kunis, Ashton Kutcher welcome second child

    Entertainment CBC News
    Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher are parents for the second time. A publicist for the actress said in an email Thursday that Kunis had given birth. The publicist, Melissa Raubvogel, did not provide further details on the baby, including whether it's a boy or girl. Source
  • Kourtney Kardashian, Scott Disick are back together: Report

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Kourtney Kardashian has reportedly reunited with Scott Disick. The 37-year-old reality TV star split from Disick last summer, but the pair have stayed close as they co-parent their children, son Mason, six, daughter Penelope, four and 23-month-old Reign. Source