Clergy victims doubt "Spotlight" Oscar win will bring change

BOSTON -- Victims of clergy sexual abuse are reveling in the Oscar won by "Spotlight" -- the story of The Boston Globe's investigation into the scandal -- but say they don't hold out much hope that the elevated status from the film's Best Picture award will prompt changes at the highest levels of the Roman Catholic church.

See Full Article

"Spotlight," starring Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams and Mark Ruffalo, covers the Globe's work to uncover how dozens of priests in the Archdiocese of Boston had molested and raped children for decades while church higher-ups covered it up and shuffled abusive priests from parish to parish.

The film was released in November to accolades from victims who said it gave them a sense of validation after years of struggling in silence. Even Boston Cardinal Sean O'Malley -- appointed to replace Cardinal Bernard Law after he resigned in disgrace -- called "Spotlight" a "very powerful and important film."

But victims say they have little hope that the film's new status as an Oscar winner will lead to some of the things they've called for over the years, including complete transparency by the church and the criminal prosecution of church leaders who knew about the abuse but didn't report the perpetrators to police.

"I don't think the Vatican or the archdiocese will necessarily do more," said Robert Costello, 54, who was sexually abused by a Boston priest from the late 1960s through 1976.

"I think what (the film) is going to do is educate the general public as to what their response or lack of response has been," said Costello, who agreed to a civil settlement with the archdiocese.

The Globe series was followed by revelations of sex abuse in dioceses around the world. The series won the Pulitzer Prize for public service in 2003.

Alexa MacPherson, who was abused in a Boston parish for more than six years starting when she was 3, said she thinks it's "wonderful" that "Spotlight" won the best picture award, but adds: "The Vatican has been talking the talk, but they haven't been walking the walk."

"We want to be able to prosecute people criminally for the crimes they committed and not have them hide behind the sanctity of the Vatican walls," said MacPherson, who also received a civil settlement.

Walter Robinson, who led the Globe Spotlight Team that broke open the scandal in 2002, said he believes the film had already had a huge impact -- on victims and the church itself -- well before it received Oscar awards Sunday for best picture and best screenplay.

"We're at a moment now where bishops around the world are praising the film ... signals that perhaps the church will become more serious about dealing with a problem that still continues," said Robinson, played by Michael Keaton in the movie.

The renewed attention "Spotlight" is receiving comes as one of the highest ranking officials in the church, Vatican finance chief Cardinal George Pell, testifies this week in a public hearing of Australia's Royal Commission investigating the church's response to the abuse scandal there.

The Vatican newspaper on Monday praised the movie for giving voice to the "profound pain" of the faithful.

L'Osservatore quoted producer Michael Sugar's acceptance speech -- "Pope Francis, it's time to protect children and restore the faith" -- saying even his appeal was positive.

Vatican Radio also praised "Spotlight" as a "rigorous and authentic" reconstruction.

The reaction represents a dramatic shift by the Vatican from a decade ago, when the Vatican paper of record was a vehicle for ringing defences of how the Holy See had responded.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Fox News vehemently denies 'copycat' racial discrimination allegations

    Entertainment CBC News
    An expanded lawsuit filed Tuesday accuses Fox News Channel of racial discrimination "that appears more akin to plantation-style management than a modern-day work environment." The lawsuit, filed in state Supreme Court, adds eight former and current Fox employees to a case involving three former Fox workers and their accusations against a since-fired Fox financial executive. Source
  • Shania Twain planning September album release

    Entertainment CTV News
    Country singer Shania Twain has revealed that she has her first album in 15 years due out in September. The new album -- whose title has yet to be revealed -- will be the singer's fifth, following up 2002's "Up!," and will be preceded by the lead single "Life's About to Get Good" in June. Source
  • Jeff Kinney marks 10th anniversary of 'Wimpy Kid' series

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Jeff Kinney remembers when his goal was to write a book, one big book, for grown-ups. "I thought I'd write about a year in the life of a typical kid," says the children's author known to millions for his "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series. Source
  • Lawsuit filed against Fox alleges racial discrimination

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- An expanded lawsuit filed Tuesday accuses Fox News Channel of racial discrimination "that appears more akin to Plantation-style management than a modern-day work environment." The lawsuit, filed in state Supreme Court, adds eight former and current Fox employees to a case involving three former Fox workers and their accusations against a since-fired Fox financial executive. Source
  • Bill Cosby 'is not abusive, violent or a rapist': Daughter

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    PHILADELPHIA — Bill Cosby’s youngest daughter has come to the comedian’s defence ahead of a looming sexual assault trial. Evin Cosby writes in an opinion piece for the National Newspaper Publishers Association published Wednesday that her father “is not abusive, violent or a rapist. Source
  • Daughter: Bill Cosby 'is not abusive, violent or a rapist'

    Entertainment CTV News
    In this Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016 file photo, Bill Cosby leaves after a hearing in his sexual assault case at the Montgomery County Courthouse in Norristown, Pa. Cosby was charged with aggravated sexual assault on Dec. 30, 2015. Source
  • Caitlyn Jenner would consider running for office

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Caitlyn Jenner would “seriously look at a run” for office. The 67-year-old reality star has been hitting headlines in recent weeks for her scandalous revelations in new memoir The Secrets of My Life. But if Caitlyn has her way, she could be following in the footsteps of U.S. Source
  • Jeff Goldblum reprising role in 'Jurassic World' sequel: Report

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Jeff Goldblum is reportedly reprising his Jurassic Park role for the upcoming Jurassic World sequel. The Independence Day actor will be playing mathematician Dr. Ian Malcolm for the third time in the follow-up to 2015’s Jurassic World, which is currently in production, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Source
  • Fake Tragically Hip merchandise claiming to raise funds for cancer research dupes fans online

    Entertainment CBC News
    Tragically Hip guitarist Rob Baker is urging fans to be vigilant when buying merchandise that claims to be linked to Gord Downie's charity. The musician tweeted Tuesday that some online shoppers are being duped into buying T-shirts, hoodies and other items that purport to donate $10 of the proceeds to the Gord Downie Fund for Brain Cancer Research. Source
  • Oops! Serena Williams made pregnancy public by accident

    Entertainment CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- Serena Williams says she was taking a personal photo of her progressing pregnancy on Snapchat when she accidentally pressed the wrong button and made the post public. The photo of the tennis superstar in a one piece bathing suit was captioned "20 weeks. Source