'Spotlight' producer thanks Toronto, where parts of Oscar Best Picture was filmed

The Canadian film producer behind "Spotlight" is crediting Toronto with helping the ensemble drama nab the best picture Oscar.

Michael Bederman celebrated from afar Sunday as he watched the Oscars bash with friends and family in New York, where he's filming his next project.

See Full Article

The Toronto-raised producer says he was surprised by the win; many pundits had pegged a best picture prize for "The Revenant."

"Spotlight" stars Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo and Rachel McAdams as journalists at the Boston Globe who uncovered rampant incidents of sex abuse within the Catholic Church.

The 41-year-old Bederman says he encouraged the shoot to take place in Toronto and Hamilton when budget constraints prevented it from locating entirely in Boston.

He says it turned out to be a great decision.

"Toronto seemed like a great substitute where I knew we'd have the same quality of crew and the same diverse options for locations that I felt we could match quite nicely with exteriors in Boston," he said Monday.

"(Writer/director) Tom McCarthy really embraced the Toronto crew, he's been very effusive throughout this long process, complimenting the Toronto team as well as the Boston team. It's really nice to see them recognized because it takes so many people to make a movie. And everybody on our crew up in Toronto was exceptional."

Bederman admits to being disappointed that he couldn't celebrate with the "Spotlight" team, including McCarthy and co-writer Josh Singer.

"But I love making movies more than I love celebrating movies I've already made," he says.

"I'm very grateful and appreciative that I'm able to make another film and that 'Spotlight' has achieved the ultimate success of a motion picture. It's the pinnacle of the award season."

Bederman is currently working on "Collateral Beauty" with Helen Mirren, Will Smith, Keira Knightley, Edward Norton and Kate Winslet.

He says he hopes to have it ready in late 2016, and maybe make it to the Oscars next year.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Video shows Harrison Ford wrongly flying over airliner

    Entertainment CTV News
    SANTA ANA, Calif. -- Video released Tuesday shows a plane piloted by Harrison Ford suddenly and mistakenly flying low over an airliner with 110 people aboard at a Southern California airport. The 45 seconds of soundless video show the 74-year-old "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones" star's potentially serious mishap at John Wayne Airport in Orange County. Source
  • 'Hellboy 3 is not happening' says filmmaker

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Filmmaker Guillermo Del Toro has officially scrapped plans to develop a third Hellboy movie. Last month, the director sent fans into a frenzy when he offered them a challenge to help bring a new instalment to the big screen. Source
  • Exclusive: Mary Jo Eustace isn’t livid over Tori & Dean’s pricey baby shower — but is seeking $100K+ in support payments

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    For over a decade Mary Jo Eustace, 43, has withstood the storm — now she is the storm. Just not quite the way the story was recently reported. The Los Angeles-based media personality, a Toronto native, recently filed contempt of court allegations against her former husband, Dean McDermott, whom Eustace says owes her over $100,000 in past-due, court-ordered support payments. Source
  • Baseball's Hall of Fame to honour episode of 'The Simpsons'

    Entertainment CTV News
    COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. - Baseball's Hall of Fame will honour "The Simpsons" on May 27 to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the show's "Homer at the Bat" episode. First televised on Feb. 20, 1992, "Homer at the Bat" featured future Hall of Famers Wade Boggs, Ken Griffey Jr. Source
  • Exclusive: Mary Jo Eustace isn’t livid over Tori & Dean’s pricey baby shower — but is seeking '$100K+ in unpaid spousal support'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    For over a decade Mary Jo Eustace, 43, has withstood the storm — now she is the storm. Just not quite the way the story was recently reported. The Los Angeles-based media personality, a Toronto native, recently filed contempt of court allegations against her former husband, Dean McDermott, whom Eustace says owes her over $100,000 in past-due, court-ordered support payments. Source
  • Jamie Foxx target of alleged racial slur in Croatia

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    DUBROVNIK, Croatia — Croatian police have filed disorderly conduct charges against two people who allegedly used a racial slur to insult Hollywood actor Jamie Foxx in a restaurant. Police said they acted after receiving reports Sunday of “particularly arrogant and rude” insults made against restaurant guests, including “one of the guests on racial grounds. Source
  • Amber Tamblyn and David Cross welcome baby girl

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Actress Amber Tamblyn and her comedian husband David Cross have become parents for the first time. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants star revealed the exciting news on her Instagram account on Tuesday. “David and I are proud to announce the birth of our daughter, Dauphinoise Petunia Brittany Scheherazade Von Funkinstein Mustard Witch RBG Cross Tamblyn-Bey jr. Source
  • Jamie Foxx target of racial slur in Croatia

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    DUBROVNIK, Croatia — Croatian police have filed disorderly conduct charges against two people who allegedly used a racial slur to insult Hollywood actor Jamie Foxx in a restaurant. Police said they acted after receiving reports Sunday of “particularly arrogant and rude” insults made against restaurant guests, including “one of the guests on racial grounds. Source
  • Buffy Sainte-Marie, Tanya Tagaq collaborate on new song

    Entertainment CBC News
    Two powerhouses of Canada's Indigenous music scene have lifted the curtain on a new collaboration. Buffy Sainte-Marie and Tanya Tagaq paired for the track You Got To Run (Spirit Of The Wind), which has debuted online. Source
  • Samuel L. Jackson on ‘Split’s’ ‘Unbreakable’ tease: ‘I found out with everyone else’

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Samuel L. Jackson, who co-starred in M. Night Shyamalan’s 2000 sci-fi thriller Unbreakable, found out that a sequel is being planned the way the rest of us did – by watching the movie Split. SPOILER ALERT! The big reveal at the end of Shyamalan’s Split came after one of the psychotic multiple personalities manifested by James McAvoy’s character developed superpowers, and escaped police pursuit. Source