A$AP Rocky says he wasn't hurt during attack in New Zealand

ATLANTA -- Rapper A$AP Rocky said he came away unhurt during a recent attack on him inside a hotel elevator in New Zealand.

See Full Article

Rocky told The Associated Press on Sunday that he was in a "fist exchange" that occurred Wednesday in Auckland, New Zealand. He performed that same day at Auckland's Vector Arena.

The 27-year-old rapper said he was in an elevator with some women and his "security," when a man tried to ride with them. When they refused to let him on, a scuffle followed. No one in his party was hurt.

"The girls were fine," Rocky said. "They were OK. No scratches on the ladies. Everybody is fine."

Other media reports say three men attempted to enter the elevator.

"We didn't press no charges on nobody. They didn't press any charges on us. Everybody good. I don't understand why people are making a big deal out of it," he told the AP by phone.

New Zealand Police said in a statement they were called to the Pullman Hotel in Auckland at about 3:15 a.m. Wednesday with reports of an altercation there. They said that after they arrived, a police officer was slightly injured and that one person was taken to a local hospital and later released.

Police said a 35-year-old man was charged with assault, assault with the intent to injure, and resisting police. He made a brief court appearance Thursday and is next due in court on March 17. If found guilty, the suspect faces a maximum of three years in prison on the most serious charge.

Police didn't name any of those involved or say what role, if any, A$AP Rocky played.

It is common for New Zealand police to release only minimal information when a case has been referred to a court.

Rocky is currently in the midst of a six-city tour that ends in Perth, Australia, on Sunday. The rapper returned to the area for the first time in two years since he headlined in a Field Day festival in Sydney, according to the website of concert promoters Frontier Touring.

Rocky's second studio album "At. Long. Live. A$AP" debuted No. 1 on Billboard's Top 200, R&B/Hip-Hop Albums and Rap charts last year. He's known for his 2013 hit single (Expletive) Problems, which featured Drake, Kendrick Lamar and 2 Chainz.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Bill Cosby planning motivational speaking tour

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Bill Cosby is about to embark on a new career. The fallen funnyman - whose sex assault trial recently ended in a mistrial - is poised to launch Cosby 2.0 as a motivational speaker. His target audience will be men “wrongly accused” of raping co-eds and groping groupies. Source
  • Bill Cosby plans sex assault talks, accusers' lawyer cries foul

    Entertainment CBC News
    Bill Cosby plans to conduct a series of free public seminars about sexual assault this summer, his spokesman said days after a Pennsylvania judge declared a mistrial in the entertainer's sexual assault trial. A lawyer for 33 women who have accused former star of the 1980s TV hit The Cosby Show of sexual assault criticized the move as an apparent attempt to interfere with his expected retrial on charges of sexually assaulting Canadian Andrea Constand at his home in the Philadelphia in…
  • Netflix's 'GLOW' gets ready to rumble

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    What’s hotter than wrestling right now? Gorgeous ladies of wrestling, sillies! And that’s what Netflix is banking on when they purchased the new 10-part series dramedy, GLOW, which begins streaming Friday. Produced by Orange Is the New Black creator Jenji Kohan, GLOW is somewhat of an accident tale of feminism based on the real-life female syndicated wrestling TV series that aired between 1986 and 1990. Source
  • ‘Wonder Woman 2’, ‘Justice League’, ‘Aquaman’ and the future of the DCEU [Photos]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    It took a woman – Wonder Woman, actually – to do what Batman, Superman and the Joker couldn’t: finally get DC’s Extended Cinematic Universe going in a meaningful way. The Gal Gadot-led superhero film is a critical and box office hit. Source
  • A look at ‘Amazing Race Canada’ Season 5 contestants

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    There’s always a chance a new season of “The Amazing Race Canada” could end in a dead heat. Good thing one of the teams competing this summer are undertakers. Canada’s most-watched homegrown summer series returns for a fifth season on July 4 on CTV. Source
  • We catch up with the groundbreaking GLOW wrestlers from yore

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    While Netflix's GLOW portrays a fictionalized version of the famed `80s all women's wrestling promotion, the actual Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling company spawned a number of successful alumni. Three notable GLOW grapplers include: Tina Ferrari: The spunky grappler -- real name Lisa Moretti -- that appeared in the first two seasons of GLOW gained more success in the late `90s and early 2000s on an international stage in the WWE as Ivory. Source
  • Colbert goes to Russia, vows to search for Comey 'tapes'

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES - Stephen Colbert is on a mission to Russia. CBS said Thursday that the late-night TV host is on assignment there for a future broadcast. On Twitter, Colbert promised to help U.S. Source
  • Mandy Moore and Claire Holt embrace the unknown in '47 Metres Down'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Mandy Moore spent six weeks at the bottom of a London pool trapped inside a steel cage, hyperventilating and screaming while filming the underwater thriller 47 Metres Down. It wasn’t all called for in the script. Countless “what ifs” played out in her mind: What if her air suddenly cut out? What if her scuba equipment wasn’t properly attached? Source
  • Coal company sues HBO's John Oliver for defamation

    Entertainment CBC News
    ?Coal company Murray Energy has sued HBO and its Sunday-night host, John Oliver, for what it says was a "false and malicious broadcast" last Sunday evening. It's seeking financial damages and a court order barring rebroadcasts of the segment's "defamatory statements. Source
  • 'We're all tied up in it:' Dance-opera Bearing aims to show we are all residential schools survivors

    Entertainment CBC News
    "We are all residential school survivors," according to Plains Cree performer Michael Greyeyes — a provocative statement that served as the starting point for the new dance-opera production Bearing. "Maybe you weren't an abuser, maybe you specifically didn't suffer abuse, but we're all tied up in it," the actor, dancer and choreographer said ahead of the show's world premiere Thursday at Toronto's Luminato Festival. Source