Philippines looks to ban Madonna for 'disrespecting' flag

The Philippines said Sunday it was looking to ban Madonna from performing in the country after the U.S. pop diva "disrespected" the country's flag during her concert in Manila last week.

See Full Article

Photos from the concert published in local media showed the 57-year-old "Like a Virgin" star draped in the Philippine flag.

While press reports said the audience roared its approval at the icon, who was in the country as part of her global "Rebel Heart" tour, Filipino officials were less amused.

"Malacanang (presidential palace) is keen on banning Grammy award winner and Queen of Pop Madonna from performing in the Philippines for disrespecting the Philippine flag in her concert," presidential spokesman Herminio Coloma told AFP.

A 1998 law prescribes a one-year jail term, as well as a token fine for, wearing the Philippine flag "in whole or in part as a costume or uniform."

The flag flap was the second controversy provoked by Madonna's visit to the devoutly Catholic Asian nation.

A Catholic bishop last week called on the faithful to stay away from Madonna's sexually charged concerts, which often encompass religious themes, calling them the devil's work.

"Pinoys (Filipinos) and all God-loving people should avoid sin and occasions of sin," Archbishop Ramon Arguelles said in a statement posted on the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines' official website.

Arguelles said the concerts, Madonna's first in the Philippines, were among "subtle attacks of the evil one".

During her Manila shows Madonna gyrated round a stripper pole shaped like a crucifix, accompanied by dancers dressed as scantily clad nuns.

The controversial star didn't forget the less fortunate on her Philippine trip however, tweeting photos showing her visiting children at an orphanage run by nuns in the capital.

The star, now touring in Singapore, has yet to comment publicly on the flag furore.

The Philippine authorities have also suggested the concert organiser may be sanctioned over the flag incident.

Officials of Music Management International, which produced Madonna's Manila concert, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Magician Penn Jillette of 'Penn & Teller' apologizes for calling Newfoundland 'stupid'

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Celebrity magician Penn Jillette has apologized after Newfoundlanders took him to task for insulting their intelligence on a talk show. Jillette, half of the comedic magic duo "Penn & Teller," said his family likely comes from Newfoundland, which he described as being a "euphemism for stupid". Source
  • Magician Penn Jillette apologizes for calling Newfoundland 'stupid'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — Celebrity magician Penn Jillette has apologized after Newfoundlanders took him to task for insulting their intelligence on a talk show. Jillette, half of the comedic magic duo “Penn & Teller,” said his family likely comes from Newfoundland, which he described as being a “euphemism for stupid”. Source
  • Judge refuses to end Roman Polanski sex assault case

    Entertainment CBC News
    A Los Angeles judge on Friday denied the impassioned plea of Roman Polanski's victim to end a four-decade-old sexual assault case against the fugitive director. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Scott Gordon ruled that Polanski must return to California if he expects to resolve charges of sexually abusing a teen. Source
  • Ryan Phillippe threatens social media imposters soliciting donations

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Ryan Phillippe has warned fans not to be fooled by scammers posing as the actor online, urging them to beware of imposters soliciting donations for charity. The Cruel Intentions star took to Twitter on Friday to send out the alert, insisting any Facebook accounts set up in his name are fake. Source
  • 5 best 'Game of Thrones' battle scenes — so far

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Game of Thrones’ stunning Loot Train Battle was certainly one of the standout scenes during seven seasons on the HBO series. But was it the very best of the major battles that we've witnessed? With the final two episodes of Season 7 promising to be an epic showdown between Jon Snow, Cersei and Daenerys against the Army of the Undead, here's the definitive ranking of the major GoT battles thus far. Source
  • Madonna doesn't want deposition on auction of her dirty underwear taped

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Madonna has asked a judge to block cameras from videotaping a deposition in her lawsuit over the online auction of her personal items. The Material Girl hitmaker filed suit against bosses at Gotta Have It! Collectibles and her former friend, art consultant Darlene Lutz, last week, claiming items hitting the auction block had been wrongfully taken from her. Source
  • Robin Thicke, Paula Patton end custody battle

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Robin Thicke and his ex Paula Patton have reportedly resolved their custody issues by reaching a new agreement. The Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol beauty legally regained her single status in 2015, a year after her separation from Thicke, but at the start of 2017, the former couple became embroiled in a nasty court fight over the care of its seven-year-old son, Julian. Source
  • First official details of 'Deadpool 2' stuntwoman's downtown Vancouver death released by WorkSafeBC [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    A woman who was killed on a stunt during filming of the movie Deadpool 2 went outside the planned boundaries of the stunt, according to an initial report by WorkSafeBC released on Friday. The report of the death of motorcycle driver Joi “S.J. Source
  • Stratford Festival explores painful chapter of Canada's past in The Komagata Maru Incident

    Entertainment CBC News
    The Stratford Festival is revisiting a painful chapter in Canada's history with The Komagata Maru Incident, but the show's stars say it is vital to continue addressing the issues at the core of the century-old story. Source
  • Judge rejects Roman Polanski victim's bid to end case

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- A Los Angeles judge has denied the impassioned plea of Roman Polanski's victim to end the criminal case against the fugitive director. Judge Scott Gordon ruled Friday Polanski must appear in a Los Angeles court if he expects to have his four-decade-old case resolved. Source