Toronto-based journalist heads to Oscars for short documentary

TORONTO -- Oscar-nominated director Adam Benzine bristles at being referred to as a filmmaker.

The Toronto-based journalist notes he only has one film under his belt, albeit one that will compete at this Sunday's Academy Awards.

See Full Article

"For now I consider myself a journalist who made a film. But it's going pretty well so far," admits the 33-year-old Benzine, born and raised in London.

"I'm a little reluctant to embrace the term filmmaker. I mean, I guess now that I'm an Academy Award nominee I have to. But I still think of myself as a journalist first and foremost."

Benzine's film, "Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah," examines the story behind Lanzmann's 1985 documentary "Shoah," a nine-and-a-half-hour portrait of the Holocaust as told by those who witnessed, survived or committed its atrocities.

The film took Lanzmann more than 12 years to make as he painstakingly tracked down interview subjects including a former Nazi who he surreptitiously recorded, resulting in a brutal beating that landed him in hospital for a month.

Overall, Lanzmann shot 225 hours of footage and spent five years editing. Benzine says the project left him with "a very deep wound."

"My sense is he still is recovering and may never recover," says Benzine, who came to Canada in 2011 and became a permanent resident in 2015.

"It takes a toll on him emotionally, financially, physically, mentally. It really pushes him to his limit. He could have died making the film. He contemplated suicide whilst making the film.

"He seemed to understand, or felt, there was only one correct way to make the film -- that it had to be this epic behemoth of a film. And he was getting a lot of exterior pressure from financiers who thought that, frankly, he was never going to deliver a film, that he had lost his way, that this was never going to be finished."

What resulted was a shattering account of the Holocaust, says Benzine.

"It's relentlessly upsetting. And the overpowering rhythm of details, details, details, details, sometimes really minute details -- how wide the corridors were, what colour the gas vans were, how many steps it was from the train to the platform -- paints an image in your mind that means that at the end you really have a very different understanding of the horror of what these people went through."

Benzine completed the documentary in April 2015, almost 30 years to the day "Shoah" premiered in Paris.

"Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah" is one of two films with Canadian ties in the running for the best short doc trophy. Benzine faces competition from "A Girl In the River: The Price of Forgiveness," directed by Pakistani-Canadian Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy.

Benzine said he was looking forward to bringing Lanzmann to the Academy Awards as his guest.

"He is 90 years old, so it's quite a big deal for him to fly from Paris to L.A.," he said.

"But I'm really just very pleased that he'll have the opportunity to walk the red carpet alongside Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg and all the other great filmmakers and have this moment of appreciation."



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • 'Wonder Woman' wows at CinemaCon

    Entertainment CTV News
    LAS VEGAS - Wonder Woman is here to save the world, and, possibly the future of Warner Bros. DC Comics universe. New footage featuring actress Gal Gadot's lasso-wielding superhero stole the show Wednesday night at CinemaCon, which also featured some peeks at "Aquaman" and "Justice League. Source
  • Cellphones banned backstage for accountants after Oscar flub

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — PwC accountants won’t be allowed to have their cellphones backstage during future Oscar telecasts. Film academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs sent an email to academy members Wednesday detailing the new protocols for announcing Oscar winners developed after the best-picture flub at last month’s Academy Awards. Source
  • 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air' aunt takes aim at cast reunion

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air alum Janet Hubert has slammed her castmates following their recent reunion. The actress, who played Aunt Vivian on the hit show, took to Facebook on Tuesday and posted a rant against her former co-stars, accusing them of reuniting solely for publicity. Source
  • Michael Bay in talks to produce El Chapo film

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Blockbuster king Michael Bay is reportedly in talks to produce and direct a film about the drug lord Sean Penn interviewed for Rolling Stone while he was on the run from Mexican authorities Movie bosses at Sony have acquired the rights to Cole Merrell’s upcoming book Hunting El Chapo: The Thrilling Inside Story of The American Lawman Who Captures The World’s Most-Wanted Drug Lord and they are in negotiations with the Transformers director to produce the project. Source
  • George Michael finally laid to rest in private funeral

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LONDON — Singer George Michael’s publicist says his funeral has been held in London. The private funeral ceremony took place Wednesday at Highgate Cemetery in north London. Michael’s publicity agency, Connie Filippello Publicity, said in a statement it was attended by family and close friends Source
  • Former 'Canada AM' host Marci Ien new co-host of 'The Social'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    TORONTO — Former “Canada AM” host Marci Ien has officially found a new home on CTV’s “The Social.” On Wednesday’s episode of the daytime talk show, co-host Traci Melchor returned after a long absence and announced she will not be returning as a permanent panellist. Source
  • No cellphones backstage for accountants after Oscars best picture flub

    Entertainment CBC News
    PwC accountants won't be allowed to have their cellphones backstage during future Oscar telecasts. Film academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs sent an email to academy members Wednesday detailing the new protocols for announcing Oscar winners developed after the best-picture flub at last month's Academy Awards. Source
  • Warring Vin Diesel, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, kept separate for 'Fate and the Furious' press tour: Report [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Movie bosses at Universal are reportedly keeping Vin Diesel and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson away from each other for fear their 2016 feud will wreck promotion for the new Fast & Furious movie. Executives will present footage from The Fate of the Furious at CinemaCon in Las Vegas on Wednesday, and Johnson will most noticeably be absent. Source
  • New biography says Angelina Jolie was drug-tested for 'Tomb Raider'

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK - To help shed her early reputation, Angelina Jolie agreed to be drug tested during production of 2001's "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider," according to a new book. The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday released an excerpt from an upcoming biography of the former studio head Sherry Lansing, "Leading Lady. Source
  • Watch: First scary trailer for Stephen King's 'It' debuts [Video]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Get ready to hate clowns again. The first trailer for the new big-screen adaptation of Stephen King’s terrifying novel It landed Wednesday and if the brief glimpses we get of Pennywise are any indication, real clowns are going to have a hard time getting birthday party gigs this summer. Source