Chris Rock, Shonda Rhimes join Essence to celebrate black women in Hollywood

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Oscar host Chris Rock, producer Reginald Hudlin and film academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs took an afternoon off from Academy Awards preparations to celebrate black women in Hollywood.

See Full Article

Rock, Hudlin and Boone Isaacs were among the guests at Essence magazine's ninth annual awards luncheon Thursday at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. Rock and Boone Isaacs didn't speak publicly; Hudlin took the stage to present an award to legendary entertainer Debbie Allen.

The annual Essence event celebrates the achievements of black women in entertainment. Actress Tracee Ellis Ross, entertainment attorney Nina Shaw and filmmaker Thais Francis were also recognized.

Francis thanked the magazine "for creating a platform of visibility."

"A lot of us in this audience know the importance of visibility, especially during a time, in a society, in a world, in an industry that's telling us that we're invisible," she said.

Shonda Rhimes, who introduced Allen as the new producing director of "Grey's Anatomy," called the writer-director-choreographer-performer "a force of nature."

"Debbie blows through an environment and changes the landscape forever," Rhimes said.

As Allen accepted the Legend Award, she said she felt like she was in church, preaching to her sisters.

"The only plate I'm going to pass is the plate of purpose," she said, urging the women in the audience to make real connections with each other - not just to meet up for drinks, but to work on ways of changing the world.

Shaw gave similar advice as she accepted the Power Award. The attorney for such entertainers as Laurence Fishburne, Lupita Nyong'o and Ava DuVernay was introduced by Nick Cannon and Channing Dungey, who became the first African-American to head a broadcast network when she was named president of ABC Entertainment last week.

"If you are a woman who wants to be empowered, then empower other women," Shaw said.

"Black-ish" star Ross, accompanied by her father and older sister, Rhonda, accepted the Fierce and Fearless award. Ross said she had been sick for the past week and worried she wouldn't be able to attend the luncheon.

"I got dressed in the car," she said. "I'm unclear if what I'm wearing is see-through. If it is, I'm sorry."

She said the recognition from Essence "is truly one of the proudest moments I've experienced."

Oprah Winfrey opened the program, which will air Saturday on OWN.

In a year when Hollywood's lack of inclusion has overwhelmed the Oscar race, Winfrey said, "it's a beautiful thing that we have the good sense to do this for ourselves."



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • 'Big Bang Theory' star's home destroyed in California wildfire

    Entertainment CTV News
    SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - The home of "Big Bang Theory" star Johnny Galecki has been destroyed in a wildfire in California. Nicole Perna, a spokeswoman for the 42-year-old actor, says his home on a ranch in the San Luis Obispo area was destroyed by the wildfire on the state's central coast. Source
  • L.A. city council OKs plans for George Lucas museum

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- The Force was with George Lucas on Tuesday as the Los Angeles City Council moved with lightsaber speed to clear the way for a $1.5 billion Museum of Narrative Art the "Star Wars" creator plans to build down the road from his alma mater. Source
  • Alison Brie's nudist past 'helped me prepare for naked scene'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Actress Alison Brie’s nudist past helps her strip on camera. The brunette bares all on the first episode of her new Netflix women’s wrestling series GLOW and admits her wild ways at college have made her less shy about nudity than many of her peers. Source
  • Big Bang Theory star Johnny Galecki's home destroyed by wildfire

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    The Big Bang Theory star Johnny Galecki’s California retreat in San Luis Obispo, has been destroyed by a wildfire. The actor’s pad was burned to the ground on Monday night, according to TMZ, and because firefighters are still trying to contain the blaze he cannot get access to his home to assess the damage. Source
  • Bill Cosby rejects 'sexual assault tour' idea floated by reps

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    SANTA MONICA, CALIF. - Bill Cosby’s “town hall” tour is unlikely to happen before his retrial on sex assault charges in Pennsylvania, one of his lawyers said Tuesday. Attorney Angela Agrusa said after a hearing to set a trial date in a sex abuse lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court against the comedian that Cosby won’t be discussing sexual assault and she “can’t imagine” his legal team would let him perform or speak publicly as representatives said he planned to do this summer. Source
  • Drake bringing OVO Fest to Budweiser Stage Aug. 7

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    The Six God and his Toronto music festival are back. With just five weeks to go, Drake finally announced the 8th annual OVO Fest for Aug. 7 at Budweiser Stage with PartyNextDoor, DVSN, Majid Jordan and Roy Woods also on the bill. Source
  • Britney Spears on 2007 breakdown: I was 'overwhelmed' by small things

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Britney Spears has opened up about her 2007 breakdown in an Israeli publication, revealing her anxiety issues were at the root of the problem. The Toxic singer hit the headlines a decade ago after she shaved off her hair, lashed out at photographers with an umbrella and locked herself and her kids in a bathroom in a desperate attempt to stop them from being returned to their dad, Kevin Federline. Source
  • 'Gotham' star Donal Logue's son goes missing

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Canadian actor Donal Logue has appealed to fans to help him locate his teenage son after he went missing in Brooklyn, N.Y., on Monday. The Gotham star, known for his role as Detective Harvey Bullock, shared a photo of his boy, Jade Logue, on Twitter on Tuesday, and pleaded with followers to look out for him, explaining he disappeared while outside the Barclays Center arena. Source
  • 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' star Michael Nyqvist dead at 56

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — Swedish actor Michael Nyqvist, who starred in the original The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo films and often played villains in Hollywood movies, such as in John Wick, has died. Nyqvist’s representative Jenny Tversky said Tuesday that he died after a year-long battle with lung cancer. Source
  • Dragon Tattoo star Michael Nyqvist dies at 56

    Entertainment CBC News
    Swedish actor Michael Nyqvist, who starred in the original The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo films and often played villains in Hollywood movies like John Wick has died. Nyqvist's representative Jenny Tversky said Tuesday that he died after a year-long battle with lung cancer. Source