Kanye, feeling new 'freedom,' plans second album of year

Rap superstar Kanye West, saying he felt a new freedom after admitting to personal debt, on Wednesday announced his second album of the year.

See Full Article

West earlier this month put out "The Life of Pablo," which broke the conventional album format by coming out via streaming with the artist fine-tuning the work even after its release.

West, reflecting on his recent experiences in a flurry of postings on Twitter, wrote with no other details: "New album coming this summer."

"The world needs a guy like me. The world needs somebody to not be scared and tell his truth," said West, who is not known for his modesty and has also pursued fashion design and declared his intention to run for president in 2020.

The 38-year-old rapper, who is married to reality television star Kim Kardashian, earlier revealed that he was $53 million in debt and was seeking funds to "bring more beautiful ideas to the world."

He encouraged fans to subscribe to Tidal, the streaming service led by rap mogul Jay Z on which West exclusively released "The Life of Pablo," and vowed never to put the album on other platforms such as Spotify, Apple Music or Apple's iTunes.

On Wednesday, West said that the debt had been "my biggest shame" and that he was now free from his "slave mindset."

"I'm happy and free and proud and confident. I'm not crazy. I'm free," he wrote.

If history is a guide, West may take his time to reveal details of his album.

West repeatedly revealed different titles and track-lists before releasing "The Life of Pablo," which he first played at a fashion show at New York's Madison Square Garden and later put out on Tidal.

The album immediately drew controversy for the track "Famous" in which West suggests that he made pop starlet Taylor Swift famous and suggests she should have sex with him.

Swift, without naming West, urged young women to stand up to people who seek to take credit for their success in a speech accepting the Grammy for Album of the Year for her blockbuster "1989."

West -- who at 21 Grammys is tied for 10th place as the most accoladed artist ever -- returned Wednesday to his frequent criticism of the music industry's top awards.

He said the awards were "completely out of touch" with taste and declared: "If I'm not at the show next year then there is no show."

West won wide acclaim starting from his reflective 2004 debut album "The College Dropout" but had not released a full album since 2013's harder-edged "Yeezus," although he managed to stay constantly in the news.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • 'Riding for their dreams:' Tom Cochrane re-releases Big League to raise funds for Humboldt

    Entertainment CBC News
    Tom Cochrane has released a reworked version of his song Big League and will donate all proceeds to a fund created to support those affected by the April 6 crash in Saskatchewan involving the Humboldt Broncos team bus and a tractor-trailer. Source
  • Tom Cochrane releases his reworked version of 'Big League'

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO - Tom Cochrane has released a reworked version of his song "Big League" and will donate all proceeds to a fund created to support those affected by the April 6 crash in Saskatchewan involving the Humboldt Broncos team bus and a tractor-trailer. Source
  • Tribeca Film Festival opens and De Niro comes out swinging

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK - The 17th annual Tribeca Film Festival opened Wednesday with pugnacious political words from Robert De Niro and the tender opening-night premiere, "Love, Gilda," an intimate celebration of the beloved comedian and former "Saturday Night Live" star Gilda Radner. Source
  • Prosecutor to update probe into Prince's death

    Entertainment CTV News
    MINNEAPOLIS - Prosecutors in the Minnesota county where Prince died will announce a decision on criminal charges following a two-year investigation into the music superstar's death from an accidental fentanyl overdose. Carver County Attorney Mark Metz scheduled an 11:30 a.m. Source
  • Tensions mount between Quebec and Ottawa — over art

    Entertainment CBC News
    The most famous painting you've never heard of is stirring up controversy in the Canadian art world and has landmark institutions in Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa publicly sparring over whether its a work of provincial, or national heritage. Source
  • CBC urged to preserve master recordings of radio and TV programming after making digital copies

    Entertainment CBC News
    The Canadian Broadcast Museum Foundation (CBMF) is urging CBC to stop destroying original radio and television programming after making digital copies, arguing these master recordings are irreplaceable. The Toronto charitable foundation said in a release Wednesday that CBC's English Services began destroying original radio and TV programming at the beginning of April. Source
  • Minnesota prosecutors to announce whether charges will be laid in Prince's death

    Entertainment CBC News
    Prosecutors in the Minnesota county where Prince died will announce a decision Thursday on criminal charges following a two-year investigation into the musician's death from an accidental fentanyl overdose. Carver County attorney Mark Metz was scheduled to announce at 11:30 a.m. Source
  • Minnesota prosecutors plan announcement on Prince death

    Entertainment CTV News
    MINNEAPOLIS -- Prosecutors in the Minnesota county where Prince died will announce a decision Thursday on criminal charges following a two-year investigation into the musician's death from an accidental fentanyl overdose. Carver County Attorney Mark Metz was scheduled to announce at 11:30 a.m. Source
  • Charlize Theron's not leaving the U.S. due to racism but is concerned

    Entertainment CTV News
    LOS ANGELES - Charlize Theron isn't leaving the United States over racism concerns, but the white South Africa-born actress, who has adopted a black daughter and son, says she's "constantly concerned" about her children's safety. Source
  • Female stars dominate Cannes festival jury

    Entertainment CTV News
    Hollywood actresses Cate Blanchett, Kristen Stewart and Lea Seydoux will head a starry and majority-female jury at the Cannes film festival next month, the organizers said Wednesday. American writer-director Ava DuVernay of "Selma" fame and Burundian singer and composer Khadja Nin complete the five women on the nine-person jury that will decide the top Palme d'Or prize. Source