Kesha loses bid to end contract with producer she says drugged, abused her

NEW YORK -- Watching tearfully from a courtroom audience, pop star Kesha lost a bid Friday to be freed from her contract with a top record producer she says drugged, sexually abused and psychologically tormented her.

See Full Article

But the ruling doesn't end the platinum-selling singer's clash with hitmaker Dr. Luke, who denies her claims and says she's smearing him to try to shirk her contract. Friday's decision wasn't the final word on their court fight in New York, to say nothing of related lawsuits in California and Tennessee.

Kesha declined to comment as she left court and hugged some of the scores of fans gathered to support her, many of them dusted with the "Tik Tok" singer's trademark glitter.

The dispute is a strikingly personal fight in an industry with a long history of strife between artists and those who work with them.

"I cannot work with this monster," Kesha said in a sworn statement in August that accused Dr. Luke of raping her a decade ago after giving her a pill that knocked her out, browbeating her to lose weight to the point where she didn't eat solid food for eight days, and holding her career hostage because she spoke up.

His abuse led her to develop an eating disorder and suicidal thoughts that prompted two months in a rehabilitation clinic in 2014, her lawyers say.

But Dr. Luke and his attorneys say the singer and her camp are trying to pressure him into letting her out of her contract.

"All of their horrific allegations of abuse, threats and other purported misconduct by me against Kesha are completely untrue and deeply hurtful," he said in a sworn statement in December. He has not been charged with any crime, and his lawyer, Christine Lepera, says "he wants his name restored."

Dr. Luke's attorneys note that Kesha herself said he "never made sexual advances at me" during sworn questioning in another lawsuit in 2011. Her lawyers say she was too frightened of him for years to disclose what happened.

Dr. Luke, born Lukasz Gottwald, has produced hits by artists including Katy Perry, Rihanna, Pitbull and Miley Cyrus.

Kesha Rose Sebert was an 18-year-old unknown from Nashville when she signed a contract with one of his companies in 2005, according to court papers.

Five years later, "Tik Tok" was the No. 1 song in the country. She's released two albums, most recently in 2012.

Kesha continues to play some shows, but her lawyers say the contract has essentially stalled her career because she can't stand working with her accused rapist.

Lawyers for Dr. Luke and Sony Music Entertainment -- his partner in Kesha's record label, Kemosabe Records -- say she's violating the five-album agreement by not recording. They say she doesn't have to work with him personally, though he has rights to produce at least six songs on each of her albums and could pursue damages if he doesn't.

Kesha's lawyer, Mark Geragos, asked a judge Friday to bar enforcement of the contract while the case plays out. While the companies said they're eager to see Kesha make and sell records, Geragos suggested they wouldn't promote anything Kesha might record without Dr. Luke.

Manhattan state Supreme Court Justice Shirley Kornreich turned down the request, saying Kesha "is being given the opportunity to record."

Meanwhile, Dr. Luke and Sony have asked the judge to throw out many of Kesha's claims. Kornreich hasn't ruled.

Both sides are seeking unspecified damages.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • TransLink pauses campaign featuring Morgan Freeman after allegations surface

    Entertainment CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- Metro Vancouver's transit authority is pressing pause on a promotional campaign featuring Morgan Freeman, following a report detailing allegations of misconduct against the actor. TransLink said in a statement Thursday that it has decided to halt public announcements voiced by Freeman that had been set to play in the transit system as part of a Visa Canada advertising campaign. Source
  • Vancouver transit authority pauses Morgan Freeman campaign amid allegations

    Entertainment CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- Metro Vancouver's transit authority is pressing pause on a promotional campaign featuring Morgan Freeman, following a report detailing allegations of misconduct against the actor. TransLink said in a statement Thursday that it has decided to halt public announcements voiced by Freeman that had been set to play in the transit system as part of a Visa Canada advertising campaign. Source
  • Harvey Weinstein to surrender in sexual misconduct probe: officials

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein is expected to surrender to authorities Friday to face charges involving at least one of the women who have accused him of sexual assault, two law enforcement officials told The Associated Press. Source
  • Harvey Weinstein expected to surrender on sex assault charges

    Entertainment CBC News
    Former Hollywood film producer Harvey Weinstein is expected to surrender to New York City police on charges of sexual misconduct on Friday morning, according to the New York Times and other news outlets. Benjamin Brafman, a lawyer for Weinstein, declined to comment on the report. Source
  • Harvey Weinstein expected to surrender on rape charges

    Entertainment CBC News
    Former Hollywood film producer Harvey Weinstein is expected to surrender to New York City police on charges of sexual misconduct on Friday morning, according to the New York Times and other news outlets. Benjamin Brafman, a lawyer for Weinstein, declined to comment on the report. Source
  • Nova Scotia mulls fate of iconic Annie Leibovitz photography collection

    Entertainment CTV News
    HALIFAX -- The Nova Scotia government is reviving hopes that a collection of iconic portraits by famed American photographer Annie Leibovitz could be displayed at the provincial gallery. The influential works, including an introspective image of the Queen and a portrait of a pregnant Demi Moore, have been stuck in storage at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia in Halifax as a tax battle was waged in Ottawa. Source
  • Morgan Freeman apologizes in wake of harassment accusations

    Entertainment CTV News
    Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman apologized on Thursday to anyone who may have felt "uncomfortable or disrespected" by his behaviour, after CNN reported that multiple women have accused the A-list actor of sexual harassment and inappropriate behaviour on movie sets and in other professional settings. Source
  • Arrested Development co-stars apologize to Jessica Walter amid interview backlash

    Entertainment CBC News
    Jason Bateman and Tony Hale are apologizing for comments they made in defence of their Arrested Development co-star Jeffrey Tambor, who has been accused of verbal harassment of another co-star, Jessica Walter, on the show's set. In a series of tweets Thursday, Bateman says his comments were "wrong" and that it seemed like he was "condoning yelling at work. Source
  • Gwyneth Paltrow: Brad Pitt threatened Harvey Weinstein

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK - Gwyneth Paltrow says ex-boyfriend Brad Pitt threatened producer Harvey Weinstein after an alleged incident of sexual misconduct. The 45-year-old actress told "The Howard Stern Show" on Wednesday she was "blindsided." Paltrow claimed she was 22 when Weinstein placed his hands on her at a hotel and suggested they go to a bedroom for massages. Source
  • Tina Fey makes surprise visit to her former high school

    Entertainment CTV News
    UPPER DARBY, Pa. -- Actress and comedian Tina Fey has made a surprise visit to her former Pennsylvania high school. District officials say Fey stopped by Upper Darby High School in Upper Darby Wednesday to film a promotional video for her Broadway musical "Mean Girls. Source