Weary crowd cheers eight-hour epic at Berlin film fest

Hundreds of movie lovers emerged bleary-eyed but enthusiastic Thursday after the longest competition contender in the 66-year history of the Berlin film festival, shown in an eight-and-a-half hour marathon screening with just one break.

See Full Article

Daring Filipino director Lav Diaz had told AFP before travelling to the German capital that his historical epic "A Lullaby to the Sorrowful Mystery" would be a "struggle" for the audience.

But as the curtain closed at the 1,600-seat Berlinale Palace theatre, more than half the audience was still present and rewarded the 57-year-old filmmaker with warm applause and cries of "bravo".

The ambitious film is one of 18 films vying for the festival's Golden Bear top prize, to be awarded by jury president Meryl Streep Saturday.

Streep and her seven-member panel including British actor Clive Owen attended the sole screening of the film, which was sold out and packed to the rafters Thursday morning.

Security staff confiscated water bottles and required audience members to check their bags before they immersed themselves in the rich revolutionary history and mythology of Diaz's impoverished homeland.

Some audience members were toting inflatable pillows and smuggled in granola bars as they entered the cinema, shaking hands in solidarity with their seat mates before the screening began.

Gerhard Reda, a German amateur filmmaker who says he watches 10 to 15 movies each week, called the screening a "personal test of courage".

He said he had started to watch another of Diaz's notoriously lengthy films last year but had to give up after an hour.

"He can have a 45-minute scene that just has people talking or walking through a field," he warned.

"Some love him, some hate him but he's always a challenge."

About an hour in, the 44-year-old quietly rolled a cigarette while still in his seat so he wouldn't miss too much when he popped out for a smoke.

Like a video game

As the lights came up Thursday night, Taiwanese film critic Yun-hua Chen said that she was "doing absolutely fine".

"It was an amazing experience -- totally worth it," she said.

"The film really needed to be this long so the audience can submerge in the story."

Enrico Cehovin, a 27-year-old Italian, said that playing long video games had prepared him for the experience, which he admitted was "only for cinema lovers".

"Some games take eight to 10 hours to play and you don't even understand where the time has gone -- they can be like long movies," he said.

"But this was an experience unlike any I'll have again."

Development worker Carla Schraml, 36, admitted she did not know much about the Philippines' revolution going into the film.

"Despite its length, I wish I had learned more," she said, criticising a meandering story that was only partly accessible for an uninitiated audience.

But Hubert Speich, a critic for German public broadcaster SWR, called the picture "superb".

"Diaz has his own signature poetic style and the images are just sublime," he enthused.

"He needs a canvas this size to tell the story he wants to tell in all its complexity -- in its historical sweep there is not a single shot that is excessive.

"Diaz shows what cinema is capable of."



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • James Brown's 'Funky Drummer' Clyde Stubblefield dead at 73

    Entertainment CBC News
    Clyde Stubblefield, a drummer for James Brown who created one of the most widely sampled drum breaks ever, died Saturday. He was 73. His wife, Jody Hannon, told The Associated Press that Stubblefield died of kidney failure at a Madison, Wisconsin, hospital around noon. Source
  • Shia LaBeouf takes anti-Trump performance to New Mexico

    Entertainment CTV News
    ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Actor Shia LaBeouf has brought a performance-art piece against President Donald Trump to New Mexico's largest city. The Albuquerque Journal reports that LaBeouf, along with two other artists, brought on Saturday a 24-hour live-streaming camera mounted to a wall with the message in block letters: "He will not divide us," referring to Trump. Source
  • ‘Big Little Lies’, ‘The Good Fight’ and the final season of ‘Bates Motel’ tops this week’s TV must-sees

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Bill Harris' TV must-sees for the week of Feb. 19 1. Big Little Lies Debut In an affluent community, a suspicious death at an elementary school fundraiser (could it be anything other than suspicious in that venue?) draws attention to the friction between some of the mothers. Source
  • Anna Paquin busts TV stereotypes as Bellevue's flawed female lead

    Entertainment CBC News
    A female lead unlike what we typically see onscreen is what drew Anna Paquin to star in CBC's new crime drama Bellevue. "Annie is kind of everything that you don't normally get to see in female characters in mainstream TV or films," said Paquin, who leads the eerie new series as police detective Annie Ryder — a single mom who's a bit of a misfit in her community because of a strange and troubled past. Source
  • Lana Del Rey drops new single 'Love'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Lana Del Rey has just dropped a new single entitled Love, her first new music since she released the album Honeymoon in 2015. The singer had earlier sparked rumours of new music by having a series of mysterious posters installed around Los Angeles. Source
  • Lisa Marie Presley says she's broke after ex asks for money

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Lisa Marie Presley describes herself as deeply in debt and just out of a treatment facility in court papers that accuse her estranged fourth husband of having hundreds of inappropriate photographs of children on his computer. Source
  • U2's Bono meets with Mike Pence, calls him 'the 2nd-busiest man on earth'

    Entertainment CBC News
    While in Europe for his first major foreign policy address representing the Trump administration, Mike Pence had an impromptu meeting with U2 frontman Bono. The activist and singer called the vice-president "the second-busiest man on Earth. Source
  • Making a living in Toronto's dwindling music club scene [Photos]

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    TORONTO - He was in a band with a hit record at 14, but Sebastian Agnello says his occupation is “bar musician.” And he has 40-plus years of experience watching the Toronto bar scene’s ups and (these days) downs. Source
  • Huge re-opening slated for Hugh's Room

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Going against the tide of a number of Toronto club closings since the beginning of the year, Hugh’s Room should reopen on March 15. Owner-operator Richard Carson announced in early January his tiny west-end club, which favoured acoustic music including the likes of Jane Siberry, Judy Collins, Maria Muldaur and Leon Redbone over its 16 years, was closing its doors due to “insolvency. Source
  • James Earl Jones, Donald Glover to star in live-action 'Lion King' remake

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    James Earl Jones life has circled round again as he is set to lend his voice, along with Donald Glover, to Disney’s upcoming remake of The Lion King. Director Jon Favreau announced the casting of the two men as voice actors. Source