Cosby demands money back from accuser in sex assault case

PHILADELPHIA -- Bill Cosby is demanding that the accuser in his criminal case repay a confidential sex-abuse settlement because she co-operated with police who reopened the case and arrested him last year.

See Full Article

Cosby filed a sealed breach-of-contract lawsuit this month that said the settlement barred Andrea Constand from "voluntarily" discussing the case with law enforcement.

The suit said Constand had no legal duty to co-operate with Pennsylvania authorities because she lives in Canada. The interviews she and her mother gave to investigators last year were therefore "voluntary" and violated the settlement terms, the suit said.

"Despite being under no legal obligation to discuss any aspects of the events and allegations, ... and despite being expressly prohibited from disclosing such information to anyone, Andrea Constand volunteered to participate and disclosed such information to the district attorney and others," Cosby's lawyers wrote in a redacted suit filed Thursday.

Cosby faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted of sexually assaulting Constand at his suburban Philadelphia home in 2004. He has not yet entered a plea, but his lawyers have vowed to clear his name. Constand, 43, is now a massage therapist in Toronto.

His lawsuit against her also names her mother and lawyers as defendants because they also co-operated with Montgomery County authorities last year. The suit accuses them of inviting media coverage or making public statements about the case.

Constand's lawyers have said the agreement has a provision that allows them to speak to law enforcement about the case. Any such prohibition would amount to obstruction on the part of the lawyers who drafted the document, lawyer Dolores Troiani testified this month, when Cosby first appeared in court for a pretrial hearing in the criminal case.

Cosby, 78, filed the sealed breach-of-contract suit Feb. 1, a day before that hearing. His lawyers were then ordered to file a redacted version of the suit and did so Thursday.

The lawsuit is the actor's latest counterattack against complaints from dozens of women that he drugged and molested them. He has defamation suits pending against accusers in Boston, Pittsburgh and Los Angeles.

The lawsuit filed against Constand seeks the repayment of the still-secret settlement he paid her in 2006, plus interest. He also seeks damages from Constand, her mother, her two lawyers and the parent company of the National Enquirer, which has published numerous stories on the case.

Cosby, the lawsuit said, has suffered "serious and irreparable harm" and should be compensated by damages "to be proven at trial."

Troiani declined to comment Thursday on behalf of herself or Constand.

However, in filing a response to Cosby's bid to keep the case sealed, she and partner Bebe Kivitz said they want to defend the lawsuit in public to respond to charges that they engaged in unethical or potentially criminal acts.

"Cosby is requesting the court permit him to make accusations and statements regarding the underlying settlement while restricting the ability of the public to scrutinize those accusations," their response said.

The suit accuses Constand of "unjust enrichment" from the settlement. The amount of the settlement has never been disclosed.


Latest Entertainment News

  • TV legend Carol Burnett signed to ABC sitcom project

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Carol Burnett fans: You'd be glad to have some more time together with this comedy legend, and she's likely headed back to series TV in a project Amy Poehler will executive produce. Source
  • ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 7 premiere: Who is Negan’s victim? We break down the odds

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Eeeny, meeny, miny, moe. Which Walking Dead character is going to go? AMC’s zombie apocalypse drama has never been shy about killing off the living as well as the undead. But the last season of The Walking Dead ended with a particularly cruel cliffhanger finale: after being captured by the charismatic, sadistic Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) and his ruthless gang of Saviors, Rick and pals were forced to kneel in a line while Negan introduced them to the new world order. Source
  • Donald Glover cast as Lando Calrissian in upcoming Star Wars spinoff

    Entertainment CBC News
    Actor and singer Donald Glover will be playing Lando Calrissian in the young Han Solo spin-off film from the Star Wars universe, Walt Disney Co. and Lucasfilm said on Friday. Glover, 33, creator and lead star of FX's new dramedy Atlanta, will play the role made famous by Billy Dee Williams in the original Star Wars films, 1980's The Empire Strikes Back and 1983's Return of the Jedi. Source
  • Donald Glover confirmed as Lando Calrissian in Han Solo 'Star Wars' spinoff

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES -- Former Community star Donald Glover is joining the Star Wars universe. Disney announced Friday that the writer, actor and rapper will play Lando Calrissian in the upcoming Han Solo Star Wars film. Alden Ehrenreich was previously cast as the title character. Source
  • Nintendo Switch hopes to succeed where Wii U sputtered

    Entertainment CBC News
    The logo for Nintendo's new gaming machine — two joysticks arranged into an image resembling a yin-yang — represents an important shift for the company. The Nintendo Switch, announced Thursday morning, aims to merge the 127-year-old company's dual home and portable platforms into a single, harmonious entity. Source
  • Wonder Woman named a special UN ambassador, despite protests

    Entertainment CBC News
    The United Nations celebrated Wonder Woman's 75th birthday on Friday by naming the comic book character as its new Honorary Ambassador for the Empowerment of Woman and Girls, despite frustration from both inside and outside the world organization that the spot should go to a real — and less sexualized — woman. Source
  • Man who stalked Kendall Jenner was methodical: Jury told

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — A man charged with stalking Kendall Jenner showed a single-minded focus in his efforts to meet the model and reality show star, even after he knew she was afraid of him, a prosecutor told jurors Thursday. Source
  • Matt LeBlanc goes from friend to father in 'Man with a Plan'

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    As Matt LeBlanc and I discussed the history of TV sitcom dads, I mentioned to him that we're approximately the same age. I have a few years on him, but we're in the same generational ballpark. “You're 25 as well?” LeBlanc asked. Source
  • Digital media recommendations for kids updated by U.S. doctors

    Entertainment CBC News
    The quantity and quality of media children and teens consume should change with their age, according to new guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics. The organization also says parents should oversee children's media consumption and educate them about proper media engagement. Source
  • 'Survivor' contestant Ciandre 'CeCe' Taylor: Tribe swap sealed my fate

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Every season of Survivor, host Jeff Probst states three fateful words that inevitably change the course of the game forever: “Drop your buffs.” For some players, the power shift that comes with a tribe swap is a blessing which takes them from the bottom of one totem pole to the top of another. Source