Cosby sues accuser Constand, lawyer, mother over contract

PHILADELPHIA -- Bill Cosby has filed a breach-of-contract lawsuit against a woman whose 2005 sexual-assault accusation led to his recent arrest.

See Full Article

The lawsuit, filed a day before a key hearing in the criminal case against Cosby, names accuser Andrea Constand, her lawyer, her mother and the publisher of the National Enquirer.

The lawsuit remained under seal Wednesday, and Cosby's lawyers declined to comment on the nature of the allegations in it.

However, the defendants were all subject to confidentiality clauses that covered the settlement of lawsuits that Constand filed against Cosby and the tabloid, published by Boca Raton, Florida-based American Media Inc., in 2005.

Constand accused Cosby of drugging and molesting her at his suburban Philadelphia home in 2004.

Her complaint wasn't prosecuted at the time, but new prosecutors reopened it last year and arrested Cosby in December, just before the 12-year statute of limitations expired. As part of their investigation, they interviewed Constand and her mother and obtained files from her lawyer.

Dozens of other women in recent years have come forward and accused Cosby of sexual impropriety spanning decades. Cosby, who played Dr. Cliff Huxtable on "The Cosby Show" from 1984 to 1992 and has been married for decades, has denied the women's accusations. The statute of limitations has expired in most of the cases against him.

Cosby filed the breach-of-contract lawsuit against Constand a day before a Feb. 2 criminal court hearing that included testimony from her lawyer, Dolores Troiani. Troiani mentioned at the hearing that Cosby had sued her but did not elaborate.

The judge warned Cosby's lawyers not to accuse Troiani of breaking the confidentiality agreement through her testimony because she had received a subpoena to testify about her involvement in the case.

Cosby sought the hearing to explore whether he had a promise from the prior district attorney that he would never be charged over the encounter with Constand, who was then a basketball team employee at Temple University, his alma mater. The judge rejected his bid to have the criminal case dismissed.

Cosby is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on the felony case on March 8. The 78-year-old entertainer could face up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

Troiani declined to comment on Cosby's lawsuit. It was unclear who represents American Media, and after-hours telephone calls to its New York office went unanswered.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Star Wars: Episode VIII title revealed

    Entertainment CTV News
    LucasFilm has revealed the name of the next instalment in the "Star Wars" franchise: it will be titled "The Last Jedi." The film will be a sequel to 2015's "The Force Awakens," the first "Star Wars" film since Disney acquired the film franchise. Source
  • Long-standing Nova Scotia festival opens competition to all gender identities

    Entertainment CTV News
    KENTVILLE, N.S. -- A Nova Scotia festival that has crowned a queen for more than 80 years is opening up the competition to people of all genders and gender identities. The long-standing Annapolis Valley Apple Blossom Festival says it will accept all candidates as long as they have graduated from high school or an equivalent program and are between 18 and 23 years old. Source
  • Wayne Brady hurts leg during 'Hamilton,' returns to stage

    Entertainment CTV News
    CHICAGO -- Wayne Brady says he had to abandon a performance of "Hamilton" in Chicago because he hurt his leg during the show. The improv comedian and game show host, who is playing Aaron Burr at The PrivateBank Theatre, told the Chicago Sun-Times that he jumped off a stair during the first act of the Saturday afternoon show and "felt a pop in (his) calf. Source
  • 'Batman v Superman,' 'Zoolander 2' lead Razzie nominations

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK - The much-derided superhero clash "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" and the far-too-late comedy sequel "Zoolander 2" are the leading nominees for the 37th annual Razzie Awards. "Zoolander 2" drew nine nods and "Batman v Superman" landed eight in nominations announced Monday for the worst films and performances of 2016. Source
  • Madonna defends anti-Trump speech at women's march

    Entertainment CBC News
    Madonna is defending her fiery, expletive-laden speech at the women's march, saying her words were "taken wildly out of context." The singer said at the Washington, D.C., march Saturday that she had at times been angry after the election and had thought "an awful lot about blowing up the White House," but that it "wouldn't change anything. Source
  • 'Live by Night' and 'Silence' flop: Are passion projects dead at the box office?

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Love may be blind, but it can also be deaf – especially to discouraging words. As we write this, Ben Affleck is still out promoting Live by Night, his directing/writing/starring/producing turn, based on a book by Dennis Lehane (Mystic River). Source
  • Dierks Bentley hoping to play pickup hockey on Canadian tour

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Country star Dierks Bentley doesn’t mind the cold. In fact, unlike music icons who shy away from touring north of the border during the gloomy months, the singer-songwriter is looking forward to reacquainting himself with one of his favourite things – hockey. Source
  • 'Fan girl' meets PhD: Why Drake is the subject of a doctorate

    Entertainment CTV News
    What kind of rapper puts his parents, his crappy first job and his bar mitzvah footage in his music videos? Only Drake, the unapologetically Toronto-born, biracial rapper who's become one of the biggest names in the music world. Source
  • 'The River of My Dreams' paints a portrait of Gordon Pinsent's life and career

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Despite his best efforts to avoid fame, Gordon Pinsent is well-known to Canadians. The super-modest actor, 86, is a national treasure — he’d be so embarrassed by that description — and a terrific new documentary on his life reveals that he’s also a bit of a renaissance man. Source
  • Alec Baldwin's Trump wasn't on 'SNL,' but mock-Putin was

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Maybe Alec Baldwin was busy. Maybe "Saturday Night Live" figured viewers had seen plenty of President Donald Trump for real this inauguration weekend. In any case, Baldwin's piercing Trump impersonation was absent for Saturday's edition, making way for cast member Beck Bennett's shirtless portrayal of Russian leader Vladimir Putin. Source