Court upholds dismissal of veteran's suit over 'Hurt Locker'

LOS ANGELES -- A U.S. federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that an Iraq War veteran cannot sue the makers of the "The Hurt Locker" because he believes the Oscar-winning film portrayed him in a bad light.

See Full Article

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled a lower court's dismissal of Sgt. Jeffrey Sarver's 2009 lawsuit against director Kathryn Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal was proper. Sarver, a bomb-disposal technician who was shadowed by Boal in Iraq, contended the film defamed him by portraying him as obsessed with death.

The court disagreed, saying the film was protected by the First Amendment and its fictional protagonist, even if he is based on Sarver, was shown to be a heroic figure.

The ruling states the justices agreed that reasonable viewers of the movie "would be left with the conclusion that the character Will James was a heroic figure, albeit one struggling with certain internal conflicts."

The ruling further stated, " 'The Hurt Locker' is speech that is fully protected by the First Amendment, which safeguards the storytellers and artists who take the raw materials of life -- including the stories of real individuals, ordinary or extraordinary -- and transform them into art, be it articles, books, movies, or plays."

"This is a highly important precedent that will have major implications for the entire film industry," said attorney Jeremiah Reynolds, who represented Bigelow and Boal.

"The Hurt Locker" won six Oscars, including one for Boal's screenplay and another for Bigelow's directing. It also won for best picture.

Sarver's attorney, Michael Dezsi, says the ruling is disappointing, and he's considering how to proceed, including an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

"Sgt. Sarver courageously defended his country and the liberties of this nation in the most dangerous of circumstances, and has now been repaid by the failure of the judicial system to protect his rights," Dezsi wrote in an email.

Sarver sued over the film days before it won big at the 2010 Oscars. A Los Angeles federal judge dismissed his case the following year.

Boal was embedded with Sarver's unit in 2004 and wrote about Sarver and other bomb disposal experts in an article for Playboy magazine titled "The Man in the Bomb Suit."

Sarver said Boal wanted to stay with him exclusively because he didn't trust other bomb techs.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Netflix spokesperson says Prince discussed reality show

    Entertainment CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Here's something else we lost with the death of Prince: A Netflix reality series centred on his Paisley Park home in Minnesota. A Netflix spokesperson told The Associated Press on Saturday that the online entertainment company had been in "discussions" with Prince about a series, but that the project did not "come to fruition" before his death in April. Source
  • Kirk Douglas turns 100

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — Kirk Douglas knows how to make an entrance. With boxing gloves in every centrepiece and the theme from Rocky blaring over the speakers, Douglas, one of the golden age of Hollywood’s last living legends, walked confidently into the Sunset Room at the Beverly Hills Hotel Friday afternoon to celebrate his 100th birthday at an intimate gathering of friends and family. Source
  • Kim's Convenience fans brave the cold to meet stars of hit CBC show

    Entertainment CBC News
    Fans of Kim's Convenience braved the cold on Saturday to meet stars of the hit CBC show — a sitcom that's shining a spotlight on the Canadian immigrant experience and putting Asian actors front-and-centre. The meet-and-greet at 252 Queen Street East — home of the real-life Kim's Convenience store used for the show — gave fans a chance to meet stars Paul Sun-Hyung Lee, Simu Liu and Jean Yoon. Source
  • 'I stand before you as a doormat'; Madonna condemns music industry's misogyny in Billboard award speech

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Madonna blasted the music industry for oppressing women and restricting their freedom during a blistering speech. The 58-year-old pop icon made the comments while accepting the Woman of the Year award at Billboard’s annual Women in Music event on Friday. Source
  • Khloe Kardashian's divorce from Lamar Odom to be finalized Dec. 17

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom will be officially divorced in one week. The reality star’s legal proceedings to split from her estranged husband will finalized on Dec. 17, according to court documents obtained by TMZ.com. Both Khloe and the former basketball star have waived spousal support, and will be equally sharing their joint checking account and their production company Khlomar. Source
  • 'Harry Potter' star Matthew Lewis, aka Neville Longbottom, getting married

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Harry Potter star Matthew Lewis is engaged. The 27-year-old British actor popped the question to girlfriend Angela Jones last month while on a romantic trip to Paris, France, according to TMZ.com. The couple met during the annual Celebration of Harry Potter event at Universal Studios’ Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando, Fla. Source
  • Inside Kirk Douglas's intimate 100th birthday celebration

    Entertainment CTV News
    BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -- Kirk Douglas knows how to make an entrance. With boxing gloves in every centerpiece and the theme from "Rocky" blaring over the speakers, Douglas, one of the golden age of Hollywood's last living legends, walked confidently into the Sunset Room at the Beverly Hills Hotel Friday afternoon to celebrate his 100th birthday at an intimate gathering of friends and family. Source
  • It's about time for a sci-fi film like Arrival

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    We’ll be doing a lot of soul-searching and head-scratching as awards-season progresses this month. And some of us will savour this brief, shining annual moment when movies are worth arguing about. This week, I submit my own favourite horse in the race — Denis Villeneuve’s Arrival. Source
  • Schwarzenegger: OK Trump is still 'Apprentice' producer

    Entertainment CTV News
    UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. -- Arnold Schwarzenegger, star of the new version of "Celebrity Apprentice," is unfazed that President-elect Donald Trump has retained a producer's stake in the show. Schwarzenegger said Friday that it's just business, comparable to his situation when he became California's governor and retained a screen credit and kept earning royalties for the "Terminator" movie. Source
  • Madonna's longevity takes centre stage with Billboard honour: 'I'm still standing'

    Entertainment CBC News
    The annual Billboard Women In Music event featured emotional and heartfelt speeches about the uphill battles women face in the music industry, including personal stories from top honouree Madonna and pop singer Kesha. The Material Girl, named woman of the year Friday, was passionate as she spoke onstage in New York about being raped at knifepoint, battling critics, and being called words like "whore," "witch" and "Satan" throughout her career. Source