Bill Cosby loses bid for quick appeal that could have halted case

PHILADELPHIA -- Bill Cosby's sexual-assault case appears to be headed toward an evidence hearing after a Pennsylvania judge refused to halt the criminal proceedings and ask the state Superior Court to review a key pretrial issue.

See Full Article

The 78-year-old TV star is accused of drugging and violating an ex-Temple University employee at his suburban Philadelphia home in 2004 and could get 10 years in prison if convicted. The defence insists Cosby had a promise from a previous district attorney he would never be charged over the encounter.

Montgomery County Judge Steven O'Neill found the evidence of such an agreement lacking after a hearing this month. Cosby's lawyers then asked him to approve an immediate appeal of the issue to the Superior Court. That would have likely delayed the scheduled March 8 preliminary hearing.

However, O'Neill in a ruling Tuesday said the legal question involved does not warrant a direct appeal.

"An immediate appeal from these orders would not materially advance the ultimate termination of the matter," the judge wrote in a brief order.

A spokesman for Cosby's lawyers said they had no comment on the decision.

They have argued that the charges stem from a political feud between former District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr., who had declined to arrest Cosby a decade ago, and Kevin Steele, who invoked the case as he campaigned against Castor last fall. Steele won the race for district attorney and filed charges against Cosby in December, days before the filing deadline expired.

Dozens of women in recent years have come forward and accused Cosby of sexual impropriety spanning decades. Cosby, who played Dr. Cliff Huxtable on "The Cosby Show" from 1984 to 1992 and has been married for decades, has denied the women's accusations. The statute of limitations has expired in most of the cases against him.

Cosby, whose legal residence is in western Massachusetts, remains free on $1 million bail.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • 'American Gods' star Ian McShane says show perfect for our time

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Over the phone from the U.K., Ian McShane is apologetic about the time of our interview – it being 6 a.m. EDT. He knows all about time-zones and being up in the early morning in Toronto. He followed Premier League football with his joined-at-the-hip American Gods co-star and fellow Manchester United fan Ricky Whittle while filming the series there. Source
  • 'Not all banjoes and fiddles': Eclectic East Coast musicians find fame abroad, struggle at home

    Entertainment CBC News
    The traditional music industry is playing "catch up" when it comes to recognizing electronic music, according to some artists who have decided to create a new Maritime-wide music association to support urban artists. Long-time DJ and music producer Brian Pelrine is part of the group behind the project, which will launch June 3. Source
  • Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch renew 'Big Bang Theory' contracts

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch have reportedly finalized their contract deals to appear in seasons 11 and 12 of hit TV show The Big Bang Theory. The comedy series was renewed for two additional seasons last month, weeks after main castmembers Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg, and Kunal Nayyar inked their new two-year contracts, and Bialik and Rauch have now joined them. Source
  • MasterChef Canada's Aaron Polsky is picking Trevor to win it all

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    MasterChef Canada’s Aaron Polsky was sent home this week after his vegetarian tagine failed to impress the judges. But that wasn’t the hardest loss he took while competing in the MasterChef Canada kitchen. Losing the Restaurant Takeover in Chef Michael Bonacini’s north Toronto landmark Auberge du Pommier earlier in the episode stung the worst. Source
  • 'Star Trek: Discovery' adds several Canadian actors

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO - Several Canadians have joined the cast of the Toronto-shot series "Star Trek: Discovery." Rekha Sharma of Vancouver will play Commander Landry, the security officer of the Starship Discovery. Toronto's Kenneth Mitchell has been cast as Kol, a commanding officer in the Klingon Empire. Source
  • Judges seal warrants related to arrest of 'Bachelor' star

    Entertainment CTV News
    IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Applications for warrants that allowed police to arrest "The Bachelor" star Chris Soules after a fatal crash and to obtain his blood and urine samples will be sealed indefinitely under rulings issued Friday. Source
  • 'Casting JonBenet' review: Reliving a tabloid sensation

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Yesterday’s media circus is today’s documentary. It has, recently, seemed like all the stories that once dominated our tabloids are now cramming our screens. O.J. Simpson, Anthony Weiner, Amanda Knox. It’s as though we’re haunted by the ghost of nightly-news past. Source
  • Fyre Festival postponed after reports of Hunger Games-like conditions emerge

    Entertainment CBC News
    The inaugural Fyre Festival in the Bahamas, a two-week music event promoted by celebrities including supermodels Bella Hadid and Emily Ratajkowski, was postponed Friday after attendees reported dilapidated accommodations, and top-billed performers pulled out. The Coachella-like festival, set to run this weekend and next weekend on the Exuma Islands, was co-organized by rapper Ja Rule. Source
  • Cutting the cord: Five things to consider before ditching traditional TV

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Snip. Snip. Snip. That’s the sound of hundreds of thousands of Canadians cutting the cord, choosing to leave behind traditional television in favour of online streaming alternatives. Whether they’re fed up with sky-high cable bills or simply part of a generation that never really tuned in to begin with, more and more of us are turning our backs on old-timey TV. Source
  • What will a Hollywood writers’ strike mean?

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — Hollywood is facing a cliffhanger after members of the Writers Guild of America voted overwhelmingly to authorize a strike that could begin as soon as next week. Negotiations resumed Tuesday as the union and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers grapple over issues including compensation and health care. Source