Canadian-born Prince protege Denise Matthews, known as Vanity, dies at age 57

Denise Matthews, a Canadian-born Prince protege who renounced her sexy stage persona known as Vanity to become a Christian minister, has died.

See Full Article

She was 57.

The singer and actress died Monday at a hospital in Fremont, Calif., said Gisela Hernandez, a spokeswoman for Washington Hospital Health Care System. Hernandez did not give a cause of death.

Matthews' sister Renay said the death was from complications over longstanding kidney issues.

She said Denise Matthews was happy in recent years. "She loved her time in the '80s, but I think she loved her recent time more, because she had been at peace," Renay Matthews said.

A native of Niagara Falls, Ont., Denise Matthews got her start in beauty pageants and modelling. She rocketed to stardom through her association with Prince and fronting the '80s girl group Vanity 6, which had the hit "Nasty Girl."

During her time in music, Vanity released four albums with Motown and Warner Brothers and was known for her sultry appearance and sexually themed music. She also appeared in films in the late 1980s and early '90s, including "The Last Dragon," "52 Pick-Up" and "Action Jackson."

"When she walked into the room everyone knew she was something very special," Craig R. Baxley, who directed "Action Jackson," told The Canadian Press in an email Tuesday.

"She was gorgeous, smart and sassy, by sassy I mean she was a free spirit, she was fresh and independent. She had such a presence without saying a word. With Sharon Stone and Vanity on set most of the crew loved every minute of it."

Matthews' health took a turn for the worse in 1992 and she was hospitalized for kidney failure, which she attributed to cocaine and other drug use. She detailed her life in her 1999 autobiography, "Blame It On Vanity."

"I was sick inside. I was a crack cocaine addict and didn't even know how to wake up in the morning without some smoke," she said in an Associated Press story in '99.

She renounced her Hollywood lifestyle and became a Christian minister. She married former Oakland Raider Anthony Smith in 1995 and they divorced the next year.

On a GoFundMe page aimed at helping her pay her medical bills, Matthews said four months ago she had gone through 23 surgeries and was on dialysis three times a week. She said she was also diagnosed with sclerosing encapsulating peritonitis, a rare benign cause of small bowel obstruction.

Matthews said she had no regrets about leaving her celebrity lifestyle behind.

"When I was Vanity, it was all about me," she said in 1999. "But when I'm preaching the word of God, it's Jesus Christ speaking through me. I don't want people to know who I was back then, but the new creature that God has made me."

Musicians around the world expressed sorrow at Matthews' death.

Prince, who was touring in Australia, dedicated several songs to Matthews during a show, according to the Herald Sun newspaper. They "used to love each other deeply," Prince said, according to the newspaper. "She loved me for the artist I was. I loved her for the artist she was trying to be."

Berry Gordy, who served as executive producer for "The Last Dragon," called Matthews "a talented natural beauty, inside and out."

"I just cannot believe Vanity is gone," Gordy said. "She was such a vibrant human being."

"Miss you dearly. U are in his arms now, no pain," tweeted drummer Sheila E., who also worked with Prince.

Rapper MC Hammer tweeted that he had just attended church with Matthews on Saturday.

"Vanity left church after giving a beautiful testimony of appreciation for her Pastors & Thanks to her saviour Jesus, I was there," he tweeted. "I was looking for her Sunday and the announcement came that she fell ill during the night."

Prince had set up Vanity 6 and made Matthews the lead singer. He also wrote and produced "Nasty Girl" for their self-titled 1982 album and took the group on tour with him.

Model-actress Devin DeVasquez, who was also managed by Prince's people at the start of her career, told The Canadian Press she and Matthews "were all in that circle of Prince's girls, so to speak."

"He went for the same type of girls," said DeVasquez, who dated Prince from 1985 to '86 and knew Matthews.

"All of the girls that Prince liked seemed to have that exotic, erotic type of look, like Vanity, Apollonia, Sheila E."

Apollonia Kotero starred alongside Prince in "Purple Rain," but it was Matthews who was originally cast in the role, DeVasquez said from Los Angeles.

"They had a falling out because they dated, and she left the project and they had to find someone to take her place."

-- With files from The Canadian Press.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Warner Bros. previews D.C.'s Justice League at Comic-Con as Affleck shuts down exit rumours

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    SAN DIEGO — Ben Affleck is still Batman. The actor shot down rumours that he would be hanging up his cape for the stand-alone Batman film, even though he recently ceded directing responsibilities. Speaking to a crowd of about 6,500 fans at San Diego Comic-Con, Affleck unequivocally assured the crowd that he is still starring in “The Batman. Source
  • Marvel Studios teases new ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ trailer in return to Asgard

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Marvel Studios is taking moviegoers back to Asgard in the latest rendition of the Thor franchise. Saturday night at San Diego Comic-Con, fans got a new sneak peek at the third installment of the Thor franchise titled ‘Thor: Ragnarok’. Source
  • New 'Stranger Things' Season 2 trailer released

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    SAN DIEGO — The creators of “Stranger Things” premiered a trailer for the show’s second season at Comic-Con on Saturday that was so new, even the cast hadn’t seen it. The Duffer Bros. were joined by director Shawn Levy and stars Millie Bobby Brown, Matthew Modine and the crew of young actors who play a group of friends searching for their buddy who mysteriously disappears. Source
  • Wonder Woman 2 confirmed at San Diego's Comic-Con

    Entertainment CBC News
    After smashing box office records this year, Wonder Woman received the loudest cheers among the DC superheroes gathered on Saturday at San Diego's annual Comic-Con to present new footage and trailers for Warner Bros' expanding comic book film franchise. Source
  • Ben Affleck addresses rumours that he's out as Batman

    Entertainment CTV News
    SAN DIEGO - Ben Affleck says he is still Batman and has the support of Warner Bros for the stand-alone film. Affleck addressed rumours that he would not be appearing as the caped crusader past "Justice League" this November Saturday at Comic-Con in San Diego. Source
  • Ben Affleck to fans: I'm still Batman, despite rumours

    Entertainment CTV News
    SAN DIEGO -- Ben Affleck is still Batman. The actor shot down rumours that he would be hanging up his cape for the stand-alone Batman film, even though he recently ceded directing responsibilities. Speaking to a crowd of about 6,500 fans at San Diego Comic-Con, Affleck unequivocally assured the crowd that he is still starring in "The Batman. Source
  • Spielberg debuts action-packed 'Ready Player One' footage

    Entertainment CTV News
    SAN DIEGO - Steven Spielberg dives into the world of virtual reality in his adaptation of "Ready Player One." The director unveiled action- and nostalgia-packed footage from the film Saturday at San Diego Comic-Con. The 6,500-person Hall H crowd gave the director a standing ovation and cheered heartily when the first images from the dystopian future world came up on screen, and even more so when The Iron Giant popped up. Source
  • Ben Affleck refutes rumours that he's out as Batman

    Entertainment CBC News
    Ben Affleck says he is still Batman and has the support of Warner Bros. for the stand-alone film. Affleck addressed rumours at Comic-Con in San Diego, Calif. Saturday that he would not be appearing as the caped crusader past Justice League this November. Source
  • 'Home Alone' dad John Heard dead at 71

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Home Alone star John Heard has died at the age of 72. Police were called to a Palo Alto, California hotel on Friday to investigate a report of a medical emergency, but the actor was pronounced dead at the scene, according to TMZ.com. Source
  • 'It'll say things about today': Denis Villeneuve teases Blade Runner 2049

    Entertainment CBC News
    Canadian director Denis Villeneuve had fended off numerous requests to direct big-budget sequels until he was approached to make a follow-up to Ridley Scott's 1982 neo-noir sci-fi film Blade Runner. "I accepted to do Blade Runner because it was meaningful," Villeneuve, the director of last year's cerebral alien sci-fi film Arrival, told Reuters Saturday in San Diego, Calif. Source