Big 'Deadpool' debut annihilates 'Fifty Shades' record

LOS ANGELES -- The R-rated "Deadpool" has taken the box office by storm, annihilating records with an eye-popping $135 million from its first three days in U.S.

See Full Article

theatres, according to comScore estimates Sunday.

The Fox film, which stars Ryan Reynolds as the foul-mouthed superhero, easily trounced last year's record-setting $85.2 million February debut of the erotic drama "Fifty Shades of Grey." It also became the biggest R-rated opening ever, surpassing "The Matrix Reloaded," which opened to $91.8 million in May of 2003.

Analysts are predicting that the Tim Miller-directed film, which cost a mere $58 million to produce, could go on to make $150 million by the end of the holiday weekend. As recently as Thursday, "Deadpool" was expected to pull in only $80 million across the three days, but the Marvel comic, often a bestseller, proved its popular appeal and then some -- and it didn't have to compromise with a PG-13 rating either.

"This movie is the very definition of an expectation-buster. Nobody saw this coming," said Paul Dergarabedian, comScore's senior media analyst. "It doesn't feel like a cookie-cutter superhero movie. It feels like something unique. You've got to sometimes take risks and go against conventional wisdom to come out a winner."

IMAX screens accounted for an estimated $16.8 million of "Deadpool's" total. The film, notably, was not released in 3D.

"Deadpool" also had a massive showing internationally, bringing in an estimated $125 million from 62 territories for a $260 million global total.

The debut is also a bit of a superhero redemption story for Reynolds whose costly "Green Lantern" adaptation disappointed audiences and at the box office in 2011.

Coming in a distant second was last weekend's No. 1 film "Kung Fu Panda 3" with $19.7 million, which fell only 7 per cent. The DreamWorks Animation film has earned $93.9 million in just three weeks in theatres.

In third place, the R-rated Dakota Johnson and Rebel Wilson rom-com "How to Be Single" didn't make any big waves with its $18.8 million out of the gates. The Warner Bros. film cost $38 million to produce and provided some counter programming to the hyper violent "Deadpool."

The dismally reviewed Ben Stiller comedy "Zoolander 2," meanwhile, debuted in fourth place to only $15.7 million. The Paramount film, which Stiller directed, cost around $50 million to make. The first film, "Zoolander," opened in 2001, just weeks after the Sept. 11 attacks, to a meek $15.5 million and went on to gross only $45.2 million in North America. It found a second life on home video, though and has become a quotable cultural staple. Audiences seem less enthusiastic this time around, though.

Dergarabedian thinks that both "How to Be Single" and "Zoolander 2" could see a healthy uptick from the Valentine's Day crowd Sunday.

But overall, the box office is healthy, up an estimated 3.2 per cent from last year and it's all thanks to the snarky, fourth-wall-busting "Deadpool" and its historic debut.

"These are summer numbers," Dergarabedian said. "It's summer in February."

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theatres, according to comScore. Where available, the latest international numbers for Friday through Sunday are also included. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.

1."Deadpool," $135 million ($125 million international).

2."Kung Fu Panda 3," $19.7 million ($14.6 million international).

3."How to Be Single," $18.8 million ($8.1 million international).

4."Zoolander 2," $15.7 million ($8.5 million international).

5."The Revenant," $6.9 million ($14 million international).

6."Hail, Caesar!," $6.6 million.

7."Star Wars: The Force Awakens," $6.2 million ($4.3 million international).

8."The Choice," $5.3 million ($600,000 international).

9."Ride Along 2," $4.1 million ($1.5 million international).

10."The Boy," $2.9 million ($1.3 million international).



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • British actor Peter Wyngarde dies in London hospital aged 90

    Entertainment CTV News
    LONDON -- Longtime British television star Peter Wyngarde, best known for his role as the detective Jason King in the 1970s, has died. He was 90. His manager Thomas Bowington said Thursday the actor died Monday in Chelsea and Westminster hospital in London after an illness that lasted several months. Source
  • Police probe third Kevin Spacey sex assault allegation

    Entertainment CTV News
    LONDON -- Britain's media say police in London are investigating a third allegation of sexual assault against two-time Academy Award winning actor Kevin Spacey. The Metropolitan Police force said Thursday it had received an allegation "that the man sexually assaulted a man (Victim 3) in 2005 in Westminster. Source
  • Country stars from Vegas festival to perform Grammy tribute

    Entertainment CTV News
    NASHVILLE -- Three performers at last year's Route 91 Harvest Festival where a gunman opened fire on fans will perform a tribute at this year's Grammy Awards to honour victims killed at live music events this past year. Source
  • Barenaked Together: Steven Page to join Barenaked Ladies for Music Hall of Fame induction

    Entertainment CTV News
    TORONTO -- Barenaked Ladies aren't getting back together with Steven Page, but for a few minutes at the Juno Awards it might almost feel that way. Nearly a decade after the co-founder of Canada's boisterous pop buddies departed, Page has confirmed he'll stand alongside Ed Roand his bandmates as they're inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame. Source
  • Aziz Ansari story sparks heated debate over 'MeToo' Movement

    Entertainment CTV News
    The #MeToo movement has been embraced by legions of women as a vital step toward countering widespread sexual abuse and misconduct. This week, more so than at any point in the movement’s brief history, there’s visceral discussion about its potential for causing harm. Source
  • Is it news? Aziz Ansari story triggers media ethics debate

    Entertainment CTV News
    What makes a private sexual encounter newsworthy? A little-known website raised that very question after publishing an unidentified woman's vivid account of comedian Aziz Ansari's sexual advances while the two were on a date. The story on Babe.net threw a wrench into the #MeToo movement, with some feminist writers dismissing the incident as a bad date that should have remained private. Source
  • 4-year-old sells paintings for $2,000 at his own N.B. exhibition

    Entertainment CTV News
    For most toddlers, prime real estate on the family fridge is the height of artistic exhibition for their hand-painted masterpieces. Not so for Advait Kolarkar. The four-year-old painter splashed onto the Saint John, N.B. Source
  • Céline Dion cancels 2 more concerts in Las Vegas

    Entertainment CBC News
    Céline Dion has pulled out of another two concerts in Las Vegas, making it five shows she's had to cancel this month due to illness. A statement on Dion's Facebook page says concerts scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday were cancelled because she "has been suffering for the past week from congestion and irritation of the vocal chords due to a lingering cold. Source
  • Rodman checks into rehab after DUI arrest

    Entertainment CTV News
    The agent for former NBA star Dennis Rodman says the Hall of Famer has checked into an alcohol rehabilitation centre after a weekend DUI arrest. Rodman's agent, Darren Prince, tells The Associated Press that Rodman checked into Turning Point Rehabilitation Center in Paterson, New Jersey, on Wednesday to deal with his longtime struggle with alcoholism. Source
  • Raptors pair Drake jerseys with new charitable program

    Entertainment CBC News
    The Toronto Raptors and Canadian rap star Drake announced plans to grow their partnership Wednesday with a new program called Welcome Toronto. Raptors president Masai Ujiri and Drake — who has served as the team's global ambassador since 2013 — announced the program before the Raptors' home game against the Detroit Pistons. Source