Survivors of attacks torn as Eagles of Death Metal return to Paris

As Eagles of Death Metal return to Paris on Tuesday to 'finish' their fateful November rock concert that ended with jihadi gunmen killing 90 of their fans, survivors are torn over whether to go to the gig.

See Full Article

Many fans who lived through the carnage will be there, including some still being treated for their injuries. But one told AFP he was unsure if he could bear to go, even though he has tickets to see the American band.

"I want to go," said Guillaume Munier, who escaped the gunmen with a friend by hiding in a tiny upstairs toilet for two hours.

"I'm going to at least go to the Olympia, but I really don't know if I'll be able to go inside," he added. "I don't know if I'll have the strength."

Another survivor, Helene, said she is not at all worried and hopes it will help bring her closure.

"It will allow me to finish the concert," she said, referring to the fateful gig at the Bataclan on November 13.

Jihadists killed 130 people and injured hundreds more in a series of coordinated gun and suicide bomb attacks across Paris that night.

Most died at the Bataclan after the Californian band had begun their set.

'We could hear them'

Munier, 29, will never forget the moment when the gunmen came in shooting as he and a friend stood on the balcony watching the band play.

"When the shooting started, we looked for a way out," he said. "We started down the stairs but then we saw that people were falling below so we ran back upstairs.

"I couldn't see an exit there, so I thought we should go on the roof but I couldn't find a way to get there either," he added.

"Then as I was running around, I happened upon the bathrooms -- they were too small to be toilets for the public so they must have been for the employees."

Munier and his friend wedged themselves inside and turned off the lights. In the toilet next to them was a father and his son, he said. They stayed there for the next two hours until they were rescued by a French SWAT team.

"My only fear was that they would open the door," Munier said. "We could hear them as they walked in front of us, but they never shot directly at the doors.

"We knew they would be looking for survivors to shoot so we told ourselves to stay put," he said. "We're lucky we did because when we were rescued, we saw bodies in front of the doors."

'I won't risk fainting'

Munier, a radio producer, had been at the Bataclan for gigs many times before.

But it was the first time he had seen Eagles of Death Metal, one of his favourite bands.

Although he has been able to go out to bars and restaurants with friends, he is still worried about being confined in one room with thousands of people.

The attack has left him fearing loud noises, and now, wherever he goes, he looks to make sure he can see an exit.

"The Olympia will be my first concert since the Bataclan, if I am able to go," Munier said. "At the same time, the goal is to go so that I can go back to my life.

"I like the symbolism of going but I will not risk fainting just to say I was there.

"It's not about whether we go or don't go -- it's not going to lessen the tribute we pay to the victims," he insisted.

"They'll be a lot of people who won't go to the concert because it'll be too soon," Munier added. "And they'll be others who will never be ready.

"Everybody has to go at their own pace," he said.



Advertisements

Latest Entertainment News

  • Charlie Sheen gets sued by another ex for exposure to HIV

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Actor Charlie Sheen has reportedly been sued by a second ex-girlfriend for exposing her to the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). The ex-Two and a Half Men star’s former fiancee Scottine Ross filed suit against him in December, 2015, accusing Sheen of exposing her to the virus, while alleging he had abused her physically and emotionally throughout their relationship. Source
  • Charlie Sheen gets sued by 2nd ex for exposure to HIV

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Actor Charlie Sheen has reportedly been sued by a second ex-girlfriend for exposing her to the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). The ex-Two and a Half Men star’s former fiancee Scottine Ross filed suit against him in December, 2015, accusing Sheen of exposing her to the virus, while alleging he had abused her physically and emotionally throughout their relationship. Source
  • 'She turns me on'; 50 Cent smitten with Helen Mirren

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    50 Cent has fallen for the charms of Dame Helen Mirren, insisting he finds it hard not to just stare at her whenever he’s in her company. The 69-year-old Oscar winner and the rapper, who is almost 30 years younger, met up on the red carpet at the 57th Monte Carlo TV Festival on Tuesday in Monaco, and he is happy to admit he now has a major new crush. Source
  • Queens of the ring: Netflix's Glow puts spotlight on women's wrestling, then and now

    Entertainment CBC News
    In the first episode of Netflix's Glow, Ruth Wilder, an aspiring, down-on-her-luck actor (played by Alison Brie), is training inside a wrestling ring. She's one of a dozen or so prospects for Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling, a women's wrestling show headed by Sam Silvia (Marc Maron), an ornery director whose B-movie credits include titles such as Blood Disco. Source
  • Former 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' star Nicholas Brendon strangled woman, slit wrists with glass: Police report

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Buffy The Vampire Slayer star Nicholas Brendon just can’t stop getting himself into trouble, and this may be his worst incident yet. Brendon, 46, was arrested for domestic abuse on October 18, 2016, his fifth arrest in three years, in a shocking police report exclusively obtained by Radaronline.com. Source
  • Wonder Woman weds Deadpool at comics convention

    Entertainment Toronto Sun
    Imagine a wedding between Wonder Woman and Deadpool, attended by Mary Poppins, Superman, Dr. Who, Kylo Ren and the Little Mermaid. More than 100 costume-clad nerds, cosplayers, gamers and fantasists gathered June 17 to celebrate the real-life union of Megan Mattingly and Adam Merica, dressed as Wonder Woman and Deadpool, at Awesome Con, an annual Washington comic book and pop-culture convention that drew approximately 71,000 visitors last weekend. Source
  • Slip of tongue fuels speculation on Banksy identity

    Entertainment CTV News
    An unguarded moment in an interview has renewed speculation over one of contemporary art's great mysteries -- could elusive graffiti activist Banksy be Robert Del Naja of band Massive Attack? Goldie, a well-known DJ who was a friend and competitor of Del Naja as the two sprayed Bristol in southwest England with graffiti in the 1980s, made an apparent slip of the tongue in an interview this week. Source
  • More than meets the why? The cinematic slurry that is Transformers: The Last Knight

    Entertainment CBC News
    In the world of modern day blockbusters there is a phrase you hear a lot. "Trailer Moments." Every action film has to have a few. A trailer moment is something larger-than-life. The hero escaping just as the explosion blooms behind her. Source
  • 'The Fault in Our Stars' author announces next novel

    Entertainment CTV News
    John Green, author of the much-loved book "The Fault in Our Stars," has revealed that his next novel will come out on October 10 with the title "Turtles All the Way Down." According to the plot summary, the forthcoming novel focuses on Aza Holmes, a young woman "navigating daily existence within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts. Source
  • Ron Howard hopes to honour 'great work' done on Han Solo film

    Entertainment CBC News
    Ron Howard says he hopes to honour the great work that's already been done on the Han Solo film and help to deliver on its promise. The Oscar-winner has only been in the pilot's seat on the Star Wars spinoff film for a day but is not wasting any time making his passion for the franchise known. Source